Two photos, two moments, the same place!

Post your Lunar images here.
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Two photos, two moments, the same place!

Post by astroavani »

How about photographing the same location in completely different lighting angles?
The attached photos were taken 4 months apart and with the sun in exactly opposite positions. In the photo above we have the Sun to the east, rising in Plato and Valiis Alps, the photo below was taken with the Sun to the west, there the Sun is setting in the same region. Photos in these conditions and of such magnitude, sublimely show the differences that the Moon offers us at every moment and show us that one day will never be the same as the other.
Plato is one of the main targets of lunar astrophotography.
A good photo of Plato should show at least 3 or 4 smaller craters present on its floor, always in a darker hue than the surrounding terrain.
But every good self-respecting astrophotographer knows that it's not easy to make these small craters appear on your floor, and for that to happen certain conditions must be met.
Firstly, an opening of no less than 250mm is ideal, not that it is impossible to register them with 200mm or even 180mm, but with 250mm it is much easier.
Secondly, the angle of incidence of sunlight must also be observed, if the terminator is too low and close, the contrast is too great making it difficult to record, if on the other hand the sun is too high, the smaller craters do not form shadows which it also makes it impossible to register them. I believe that the ideal is the Sun at an altitude of 30° to 45° so the contrast is not so great and shadows are still formed, facilitating their perception.
Thirdly, we must pay attention to seeing, with a bad seeing any recording is almost impossible, as these small craters disappear when the turbulence is strong.
Focus I won't talk because any mistake ends with a good result!
As a general rule, in order to get an impressive photo of at least some of these small craters, they would have to be briefly visible during real-time computer screen capture. If so, we learned that after the best stacked frames, these small craters will show up perfectly as seen in the attached photo.
Vallis Alpes, in the south of Mare Frigoris, not far from Cassini crater and Plato's Great Eastern Plain, is one of the most spectacular valleys on the moon.
Seen in this image, Vallis Alpes (Alpine Valley) is a feature that extends 166 km from Mare Imbrium, running northeast to the edge of Mare Frigoris. This valley was discovered in 1727 by Francesco Bianchini. The valley is narrow at both ends and widens in the center to be about 10 kilometers in diameter.
The bottom of the valley has a flat, lava-flooded surface with a narrow 'channel' winding through the middle. This channel is generally thought of as a "graben", an area between two parallel faults that have fallen below the surrounding area. The narrow inner channel is believed to have formed after the formation of the Imbrium basin, after the lava flows into the sea. It probably corresponds to a 'lava tube' that collapsed in a later geological episode due to the high velocity and low viscosity of the magma.
It is very interesting to know that channels are common on the moon, considered one of the most fascinating volcanic features due to their wide range of scales (from 100 meters to over 100 km in length) and the morphologies they present (linear, curved or sinuous). .
Channels typically form when lava flows erode the existing surface, melting the substrate, removing mechanical material, or a combination of thermal and mechanical processes. However, some may have been lava tubes, rilles, that suffered roof collapse after their formation.
Trying to detect this relatively narrow and winding channel that runs along the bottom of Vallis Alpes is one of the favorite challenges of lunar observers, its exact dimensions have not been determined, but its vision is a very satisfactory test, as are the small craterlets on the Plato floor. .
I hope these tips are of some use to anyone like me who likes to venture into lunar photography!

PS: The bottom photo is just the result of stacking in AS!3 with a sharpness of 60% and nothing else. There is no post processing, Registax, Astrosurface, Photoshop or any other editing program was not used, nor was brightness or contrast adjusted. I've been developing a capture line on lunars for years to avoid any post processing as much as possible, I'm almost there.
Attachments
Sem título.jpg
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Two photos, two moments, the same place!

Post by astroavani »

Hello everybody!
Colleague Makuser sent me a private message warning that the post above had an error and could no longer be viewed.
So I redid the post.
Thank you to everyone who looked, commented or left a like.
This image was also chosen as AAPOD²: https://www.aapod2.com/blog/iqkrnbzq44p ... xfvfmomkvl
Avani
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Olá Avani. É ótimo ver essas belas imagens lunares novamente. Muito obrigado Avani, o meu amigo e colega. Parabéns por receber o Prêmio TSS APOD.
Hello Avani. It is great to see these beautiful lunar images again. Thanks very much Avani, my friend and colleague. Congratulations on receiving the TSS APOD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Outstanding work Avani!
I am amazed that you can produce such beautiful and detailed images with little to no post-processing!
Well done sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice work ,thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Thank you for reposting!
I have updated the link on the original APOD!
Congratulations again!

viewtopic.php?t=29845
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Congrats on a well deserved APOD, amazed at the detail and skill involved in producing this with little processing. My favourite image of this interesting lunar region. Thanks Avani.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447