What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Chich »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:46 am
It couldn't have been lower down my leg could it, otherwise the boots would have protected me :roll:
Had a similar experience skiing year before last. I was happily going down through the trees when a branch stub smacked me on the leg. A half inch lower and it would have just glanced off my boot.

At least the the forest folk got to add exciting new words to thier vocabulary that day.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

DeanD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:17 am There are a lot of problems for koalas nationally: due to ridiculous amounts of (to me unnecessary) land clearance in the main habitats in the eastern states, disease issues etc. In fact they are listed as "endangered" in New South Wales: their once-main habitat. Personally I think that is a national disgrace that needs to be urgently addressed. The ones endemic to South Australia are so far serious disease-free, but have a limited gene-pool and therefore we need to monitor them to ensure a healthy and happy population, as well as research and understand their behaviours and preferred habitats and micro-climates.
- Dean

(PS: Perhaps one other thing to mention is that the research and methods have the approval of the rigorous Ethics Committee of the University involved, based on accepted international criteria.)
Thanks for the explanation Dean. I was just reading that the Orca population by the West Coast of the US is declining due to inbreeding. It didn't realize that such problems would happen with Orcas and Koalas alike.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

This will sound strange, but I've been watching videos of guinea pigs in Germany. Work has been a little exhausting recently and I find myself vegetating out to footage of guinea pigs eating, running around, sleeping, doing tricks, getting haircuts, etc. It seems to relax me and I sometimes even fall into a nice sleep. A few of the videos feature nothing but guinea pigs eating, with the only "munch munch" sound audible. Had you told me 10 years ago that I would find such a thing enjoyable someday, I would wonder at your (and my) sanity. But I've learned to embrace change.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:20 pm
DeanD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:17 am There are a lot of problems for koalas nationally: due to ridiculous amounts of (to me unnecessary) land clearance in the main habitats in the eastern states, disease issues etc. In fact they are listed as "endangered" in New South Wales: their once-main habitat. Personally I think that is a national disgrace that needs to be urgently addressed. The ones endemic to South Australia are so far serious disease-free, but have a limited gene-pool and therefore we need to monitor them to ensure a healthy and happy population, as well as research and understand their behaviours and preferred habitats and micro-climates.
- Dean

(PS: Perhaps one other thing to mention is that the research and methods have the approval of the rigorous Ethics Committee of the University involved, based on accepted international criteria.)
Thanks for the explanation Dean. I was just reading that the Orca population by the West Coast of the US is declining due to inbreeding. It didn't realize that such problems would happen with Orcas and Koalas alike.
Yeah, it is a world-wide issue with the range and healthy habitat for species on the decline. These are the big, easily seen animals- the millions of smaller, often rarer ones that are essential to biodiversity sadly slip under the radar. Hopefully by protecting and restoring habitat for these larger animals we do the same for the others too. I think we are slowly waking up to the issues: with things like the recent international agreement to set aside a large % of oceans as protected zones (the aim is at least 30%), and international agreement on ceasing deforestation by 2030.

We have managed to declare 25% of our State as National Parks: and for the astronomers we are working on dark-sky declarations and protection as well. We can't stop Musk's satellites (yet), but we can work on the ground-level pollution!

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Star Dad wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:10 pm Well, I got out Monday night - first time in 4 months. Man, did I forget about getting set up. It took me almost 2 hours to set the equipment up - usually it's 15 minutes or less. Then I completely forgot how to use the Astroberry software. The laptop I normally used for doing my polar alignment had a serious crash in the intervening months - and I forgot that the polemaster software only works on a modern windows 7 machine....(I had reinstalled win 7 original with no updates). So I had to switch to another win 7 laptop I had set up (I forgot I had done that). Then my first set of images is god-only-knows-where-or-what, because I forgot to plate solve. And I still haven't learned astroberry very well, so I was struggling with it's huge "scrolling" screens. My - what a difficult night. But I'm just writing it off to cobwebs in the brain. Hopefully the next session won't be 4 months from now - though the weather looks pretty bad for the next 7 days. :(
... and that is why I haven't really got into AP, and love my push-to dob and binoculars! ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

This particular lady client really made my day yesterday.

She is a horse lover and rider (like me, of course) and she wanted to have some horsey decals on her nails :romance-heartstiny:

I really love my job, but this was extra special for me. I would have preferred to have done the designs by hand, but that takes longer and not everyone can spare the time.

Anyway, it was still special nonetheless :D

Here are the designs I did for her...

il_1588xN.530825520_kkuy.jpg
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

DeanD wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:53 am
Star Dad wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:10 pm Well, I got out Monday night - first time in 4 months. Man, did I forget about getting set up. It took me almost 2 hours to set the equipment up - usually it's 15 minutes or less.
... and that is why I haven't really got into AP, and love my push-to dob and binoculars! ;)

I have been tempted as well but have no hair left to pull out :P

328133340_541889231054580_7846038898075591481_n.jpg

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:21 am This particular lady client really made my day yesterday.

She is a horse lover and rider (like me, of course) and she wanted to have some horsey decals on her nails :romance-heartstiny:

I really love my job, but this was extra special for me. I would have preferred to have done the designs by hand, but that takes longer and not everyone can spare the time.

Anyway, it was still special nonetheless :D

Here are the designs I did for her...

il_1588xN.530825520_kkuy.jpg
The horses......hmmmm
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

British Summer Time began for us at 1am this morning with the clocks going forward 1 hour.

I have lost an hour of my normal beauty sleep so I am not a happy bunny :sleeping-sleeping:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I've set up my DS420j server with VPN, SVN, encrypted folders, laptop backup, online photo sharing, generated some VPN certificates for remote network access. Once on the VPN you can access mounted folders or use VNC to get on a machine that is not in sleep mode. It has two 4TB drives in RAID to handle disk failures, one 4TB for backup and one bay unused. I may add a drive and then swap the backup drive yearly into a fireproof safe. The photo sharing does not require a subscription, the server company hands a web domain out as part of the purchase. The unit uses 8W in hibernation mode, about 20W for regular use so it can be on permanently. I set my modem/router up with MAC address filtering so only machines that I approved can access the network. The basic unit was about $300, the disks were $60 a piece. Pretty neat, it feels good to have a secure and robust storage system at home and have my laptop backed up daily. So far I like it a lot.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 am British Summer Time began for us at 1am this morning with the clocks going forward 1 hour.

I have lost an hour of my normal beauty sleep so I am not a happy bunny :sleeping-sleeping:
Not a fan of it either - and I'm way past the need for beauty sleep :P

We changed a week or so ago. There is a push to just stick with ST here on the west coast. BC actually passed legislation to do so a few years back. Yukon stopped last year but BC, Washington, Oregon and California all seem to be waiting for one of the others to go first. I really don't know why it is such a difficult decision to make.

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

New work schedule - back in the office four days a week by management decree. I am not amused.

OTOH, I've built up a very healthy vacation balance.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Sitting in pharmacy as I write this waiting 15 minutes following flu and Pfizer omicron 4,5 bivalent vaccine doses. This is my 5th dose of Pfizer and still haven’t caught COVID.

Cleaned the sensors on all my DSLR bodies last night.

Tomorrow is my last day at work before my trip.

I installed a 60 L car fridge last weekend and I have more work this weekend to finish installing my solar power system and lithium battery. Then next Monday or Tuesday I pack up and drive the 5000km+ to the total solar eclipse in Western Australia on April 20.

Hasta luego amigos y amiguettas,

Joe
Last edited by OzEclipse on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Have a safe journey Joe and enjoy the solar eclipse.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Just accepted a job offer at a different institution. Commute will be half what I'm doing now, so I'm quite happy about that.

But they need me to start most riki-tik, so a full two week notice to my current manager might not be feasible. C'est la vie, I guess.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Went for a lovely walk along the Ober Water Trail, Brockenhurst this morning.

We parked at Puttles Bridge Forestry Commission car park at the start of the trail.

It is a beautiful walk along a gravel path, shrouded by Beech, Oak and Fir trees which runs alongside the Ober Water stream (hence the name of the trail).

After a lot of heavy rain, the path had become a bit muddy/squishy in places, but we had our walking shoes on so it wasn't a problem.

I hope you enjoy some of the views...

Puttles-Bridge-P1010346.jpg
Puttles-Bridge-P1010348.jpg
Puttles-Bridge-P1010349.jpg
Puttles-Bridge-P1010351.jpg
Puttles-Bridge-P1010352.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

First lawn mowing of 2023. A couple weeks earlier than usual. Man am I out-of-shape!
:chores-mowlawn:
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Got me some footholds in the pavers for 2 of the 3 legs. When I shove the mount in it feels rock solid. I should have to worry a lot less about polar alignment. Should have done it ages ago.
Untitled.jpg
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Driving to Viedeň tomorrow morning. Distance is around 850 km return and will take around 10 hours.
The crazy half ordered two new studio monitors but the shop quoted € 2.700 to deliver them!!
Since a tank of diesel is only € 62,53 and I am on days off guess who will not be paying € 2.700 for delivery!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Taking the week off. New job starts the 10th, so I gave my resignation last week. I haven’t taken a full week of vacation in years.

Unfortunately, I started cleaning out the basement. That’s going to be a summer long project.