Object Type Abbreviations

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Object Type Abbreviations

Post by JayTee »

Where would I find the RASC celestial object classification (type) abbreviations list? I've looked everywhere and can't find just a list of what the abbreviations mean. Some of them are obvious, it is the sub-classification abbreviations I'm interested in. For example G-SAab, what does it mean?

Thanks,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Object Type Abbreviations

Post by Chich »

Hope this helps, although I am far from what you'd call an expert :P

The Observers Handbook will give an explanation of types in each section. For example Galaxies on pg 330, Messier objects on pg 312 etc although you may have to dig around online for the finer designations. For your Galaxy, look up info on the Hubble sequence and de Vaucouleurs system which is an extension of it.

You can also look at the following for info on celestial object designation but note the pages state that : Celestial nomenclature has long been a controversial topic. and A look at the current literature reveals that unclear, ambiguous or confusing designations of astronomical sources of radiation are too often encountered. So it sounds like it is/was a bit of the wild west when naming things.

https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/

https://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/Dic/iau-spec.html
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Classification of objects, particularly galaxies can be quite confusing. The example you gave, "G-SAab" would indicate a galaxy, with a de Vaucouleurs classification of SAab. The de Vaucouleurs classification system for galaxies is the generally accepted method for galaxy classification as an expansion on the original Hubble scale. Now, SA indicates an unbarred spiral galaxy. The lower case ab would indicate an intermediate morphology, with a pronounced central bulge and tightly wound spiral arms that are partially resolved. Messier 81 is a good example of this type. There are all kinds of sub-classifications within this system, and it can get quite confusing. In all honesty, while I find it interesting, it is not something I devel into to any great extent.

As for other objects within the RASC (I am familiar with their handbook, but never looked at one), I would have thought they would have included some sort of reference to object classification. For various types of objects there are classification systems, such as the de Vaucouleurs for galaxies. I would have to see some of the ones you are wondering about to get a better sense of what they are using in their materials. Sorry I couldn't be of significant assistance.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

A picture would probably help. Here is an image of the list for the Messier marathon. I'm referencing the column named Type. I understand every other type but the Galaxy designations. So that's what generated my question.

Thanks.
MMList_Type.jpg
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."