How about some naked eye observing?

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How about some naked eye observing?

Post by pakarinen »

Any interest in naked eye observing? It seems simplicity is best at times. A little tough for me b/c of the LP soup here, but I noticed Scorpius was well up not long before twilight this morning as was Lyra, Cygnus, and Aquila. I can't see to the west, so I didn't observe anything setting.

Venus, Jupiter, and Mars looked nice last night from my gym's parking lot. :grin:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How about some naked eye observing?

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Olen,

I often mention to people and did just that last weekend when I had six houseguests how much I enjoy just lying back on a reclining chair and looking up at the night sky with my naked eyes.

From my latitude the Orion arm is reasonably high in the north and then as you go through Monoceros and get to Canis Major and Puppis these areas of the sky are at or near the Zenith. These then follow through to Vela Carina Crux and Centaurus. Then on the opposite side of the pole are the two brightest galaxies in the sky, the Magellanic Clouds.

We observed many meteors and fireballs the other night, some that left persistent gas trails.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

When out at night I regularly will spend a few minutes looking up.
There is always something to see :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I’m in Bortle 7, so it’s not something that I do on purpose.
I know that sounds funny, but what I like to do is probably just like many or most of us. Just look up often when the sky is clear or eve when somewhat cloudy just to look around.
Sometimes I get to see something cool like last night. Mars, Jupiter, and a crescent moon (even though you really can’t make out the crescent very well in this phone photo that I snapped last night.
Attachments
93972890-23BB-4D4A-93EF-89CAD3FE8A07.jpeg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I always devote a portion of my observing sessions to the naked eye observing. Quite few targets could be resolved naked eye if the sky is dark. Tracing constellations and catching meteors is fun to.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I also devote some time each observing session at the dark site to simply look up. Usually how it happens is that I am busy chasing galaxies and my observing eye becomes fatigued. So I sit back in my chair and look around for a bit. This not only allows the muscles around my observing eye to relax, but it also gives me time to commune in a personal and emotional way with the night sky. I find it very relaxing and cathartic. That is when I frequently notice meteors and satellites on the larger scale, though I frequently see glimpses of both through the eyepiece while doing my observing. Depending upon the time of year, I also like to simply stare at the summer or winter band of the Milky Way arcing overhead. I find it fascinating and soothing.

Like Jim (and I am sure others), I noticed the conjunction between the crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter, only the moon was the lower of the three when we saw them. Mary came out to see and commented how bright and beautiful they were. Its a simple thing, but sometimes the simplest is the most beautiful and moving.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:43 am
Like Jim (and I am sure others), I noticed the conjunction between the crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter, only the moon was the lower of the three when we saw them. Mary came out to see and commented how bright and beautiful they were. Its a simple thing, but sometimes the simplest is the most beautiful and moving.
Thanks Alan! After reading your post, I realized that I incorrectly identified Venus as Mars in my post!
Thanks buddy for mentioning that!
The trio is definitely bright and beautiful!
The alignment and brightness is definitely eye catching!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Olen and all. I always take a night scan of the skies to gauge the seeing conditions in my LP skies and also admire the moon and planet locations along the ecliptic. But the best treat is viewing the scheduled meteor showers, which is done best with naked eye observing.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi everybody. Usually I spend a few minutes of naked eye gazing to let my eyes dark adapt a bit and also to orient myself with an evening's targets. I tend to look for asterisms or familiar groupings, e.g, the Great square of Pegasus, the Keystone asterism (Hercules), the broom-shaped figure of Andromeda (that's my own creation), the W or M of Cassiopeia depending on the season, finding Denebola in Leo and Vindemiatrix in Virgo and mentally drawing a straight line between them. Bingo, the spot of the Virgo Cluster....is at the midpoint.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I usually use the Little Dipper to judge transparency for my logs. Then I do a scan of the night sky to estimate seeing. While I am doing that I usually scan from horizon to horizon and greet the sky like an old friend. Some nights I don't even use the telescope. My favorite naked eye observing is during meteor showers. I often invite people over to join me. When I have groups with me we sit in a large circle in lawn chairs and I use my green laser pointer to introduce them to the various features of the night sky. (It's no longer just naked eye, but if I add 2 or 3 pair of binoculars to the group it adds a It to the night. People can follow my pointer's beam with the binoculars and see a new world open for them.)
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 pm I always devote a portion of my observing sessions to the naked eye observing. Quite few targets could be resolved naked eye if the sky is dark. Tracing constellations and catching meteors is fun to.
Spot on with that observation ( pun intended)!

I have gotten into the habit of getting everything outside right around sunset.
Then after twilight is over I come outside with my 7X50 binoculars and as it gets darker,I scan the whole sky starting with something that I know for sure, like Sirius.

Then in combination with the binoculars as my eyes adjust,if I want to go see from say example down from Sirius to look for that star cluster M 41 my eyes ( and mind) are now adjusted and familiar with the constellations( as you stated) that I can see.
I have to thank you again for that Atlas that in conjunction with everything else I just stated has really been helping me learn the night sky.

Also “ catching meteors “ still lights my fire, even though I’m out there alone I catch myself saying out loud “ holy s¥it did you see that” :o :lol:
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:52 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 pm I always devote a portion of my observing sessions to the naked eye observing. Quite few targets could be resolved naked eye if the sky is dark. Tracing constellations and catching meteors is fun to.
Spot on with that observation ( pun intended)!

I have gotten into the habit of getting everything outside right around sunset.
Then after twilight is over I come outside with my 7X50 binoculars and as it gets darker,I scan the whole sky starting with something that I know for sure, like Sirius.

Then in combination with the binoculars as my eyes adjust,if I want to go see from say example down from Sirius to look for that star cluster M 41 my eyes ( and mind) are now adjusted and familiar with the constellations( as you stated) that I can see.
I have to thank you again for that Atlas that in conjunction with everything else I just stated has really been helping me learn the night sky.

Also “ catching meteors “ still lights my fire, even though I’m out there alone I catch myself saying out loud “ holy s¥it did you see that” :o :lol:
Glad you are enjoying the atlas Frank. Finding familiar constellations patterns never gets old for me. Also, once you know them by heart you can get a green laser and start impressing friends and family. "That's Cassiopeia for you!" :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

jrkirkham wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:08 pm I usually use the Little Dipper to judge transparency for my logs.
I can only see Pherkad and Kochab at home, even on a good night. :lol:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

I do enjoy visual observing. Often just wander out on the deck for a look for a minute or two most nights

When I lived in the NWT we worked with Wood Buffalo National Park and had a naked eye observatory built at the Pine lake campground. The link shows it in the first two photos. It is built in a cicle with a bench around which allowed you to lean back and look up. It was big enough for a large group and a speaker could stand in the middle.

I think more places should have something like this.

https://www.tawbas.ca/photo---mike-k-dsf.html
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!