John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

National Stargazing days.

Post by John Baars »

Every year around the end of February the National Stargazing days are organised in the Netherlands. In the whole country observatories open their doors, and many individuals put up their telescopes in city centers for side-walk- astronomy. A sort of National Outreach.
As I belong to observatory Rijswijk, we put up our telescopes at a Petanque-club in Rijswijk. The observatory is far too small for so many visitors.

Of course I was there and I was the only participant with an Alt/Az mounted 102mm f/5 refractor. I had the telescope trimmed on Polaris, so there was no need for tracking. Many folks were surprised that Polaris is not the brightest star in the sky. I showed the public how to find Polaris with the well known starhop from Dubhe to the Polar Star. And the ring of Polaris of course. In the Bortle 8 sky the double of Alpha Umi wasn't visible in the 4 inch, pity. Two visitors knew that Polaris isn't exactly in the North. They asked me to show the real North Pole in the sky. Luckily I knew the right spot, from my oldschool days of polar alignment. As they could see there is no star over there. :icon-smile:

https://www.rodi.nl/rijswijk/cultuur/33 ... rrendagen-

Translation:
Record number of visitors in Rijswijk at National Stargazingdays 2023
Sat Feb 25, 22:10 Culture
During the National Stargazing Days on the weekend of Feb. 24 and 25, the Rijswijk Observatory set up seven of its telescopes next to De Schilp at ABA on Schaapweg. Especially on the bright Saturday evening, they received a record number of nearly 200 visitors, including very many children.

By Robert Heijdemann

"The Star Days are the longest-running astronomical public event in our country, which is all about discovering and experiencing the starry sky over the Netherlands," says board member Annelies Zwanenberg.

13 floors
The observatory of Stichting Sterrewacht Rijswijk is located on the roof of the 12-story Jupiterflat on the outskirts of Rijswijk. "We also organize many activities there, such as public days and courses. But since five years we have been using the building and outdoor space of the Rijswijk Petanque Club ABA," Annelies continues. "There we have more space and also not everyone has to take the elevator to the thirteenth floor. Inside at ABA are the presentations and outside members let visitors look through the telescopes."

"OneToday"
The Rijswijk Observatory is nationally known. "In December we were still on NPO's "OneToday" and shortly afterwards TV West made a report," adds Annelies. There is also a lot of contact with the other observatories. In the summer, Belgian colleagues will come. "Especially on the Saturday evening, there was a big run of interested people. One of them even came specially from Amersfoort." The Observatory is also well known among Rijswijkers. At the Strandwalfestival they are there with a solar telescope. During the day it is too bright for the stars and planets. But the sun - if not too cloudy - can be seen well.

Popular hobby
Stargazing has been popular for years. The Rijswijk Observatory has existed for more than 50 years. The members therefore possess a lot of knowledge.
The two-day Basic Astronomy Course is given regularly. Many astronomical topics are explained, such as the solar system, how telescopes work and distances to the stars and planets.

Roof terrace
On the roof of the Jupiterflat is also a roof terrace. "On the roof terrace there is a beautiful view of the surroundings and excellent views of the starry sky. There is also plenty of room to set up telescopes. The dome houses the Observatory's large computer-controlled telescope."

Public evenings
The Observatory is open to the public on the first and third Friday evenings. When the weather is clear, celestial bodies can be observed with the telescopes. This is only when the weather is clear and also not in summer, when it is still light until late.

More activities
The Rijswijk Observatory also participates in other national activities. Such as the Night of the Night on October 28, 2023, when hundreds of companies and municipalities turn off the lights so that the stars become visible, and the Weekend of Science, October 7 and 8. And during meteor rains, they will count meteors in the field.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: National Stargazing days.

Post by helicon »

The Netherlands really seems to know what it is doing with regards to Outreach and the national day of darkness "Night of the night". Fabulous John.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That sounds like a very nice evening John.
The observatory seems to have a good outreach program.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

seem like very informative , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! I hope some of the visitors got hooked and pick up astronomy.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi John. This is just a fantastic report from you. It was a wonderful outreach program and received a large turnout. Thanks for sharing your nicely detailed report of this event and it looks like everyone had a great and educational time.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

What a nice outreach program! We need more of this :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Outstanding John. Sounds like a great experience and good to see that level of national effort.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Fantastic National outreach, John! Thanks for a great report!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

That does sound like a fun and productive activity.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Thinking about this John, John Dobson would be very proud!
I have noticed that all the things that interest me like Amateur Astronomy,Amateur Radio,playing a musical instrument ( highland bagpipe) for the most part doesn’t attract young people to any of these hobbies.
Outreach like what you are referring to IMHO is what is needed to help keep interest alive,I hope you enjoyed your day and thanks for sharing with us.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars