Using StarXTerminator and DBE for nasty gradients

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Using StarXTerminator and DBE for nasty gradients

Post by starfield »

Just found this neat DBE trick posted on YouTube by Adam Block. Video provides an overview of his website/tutorials, but the second half features a nice trick for using DBE with StarXterminator for cleaning up messy gradients, especially the kind I get in my light polluted backyard. The example he shows features a galaxy, so I'm not sure how well it would work when there's a ton of nebulosity, but it's definitely a technique worth adding to your toolkit.

Here's the link on YouTube. https://youtu.be/7ldbGxFi-OM

Enjoy
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Using StarXTerminator and DBE for nasty gradients

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Steve,
I did see this video this week and enjoyed seeing this technique. Haven’t tried it yet, but will soon. Actually, I just might start using this method as my normal process of running DBE. It just is so much easier than dodging the stars when placing sample points. Especially when you are dealing with very dense star fields. Very easy and very simple.
I also learned a lesson a bit ago that David @Jockinireland pointed out to me where DBE can be run on starless stretched images to carefully select only dark background sample points to help bring out the dusty areas of an image. That method should work for highly nebulous fields too. Unfortunately, the technique is outlined in his processing example of NGC1333 in his Fundamentals series which can only be viewed if you have purchased the course.
Thanks for posting this. I need to make some notes!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:56 pm Thanks Steve,
I did see this video this week and enjoyed seeing this technique. Haven’t tried it yet, but will soon. Actually, I just might start using this method as my normal process of running DBE. It just is so much easier than dodging the stars when placing sample points. Especially when you are dealing with very dense star fields. Very easy and very simple.
I also learned a lesson a bit ago that David @Jockinireland pointed out to me where DBE can be run on starless stretched images to carefully select only dark background sample points to help bring out the dusty areas of an image. That method should work for highly nebulous fields too. Unfortunately, the technique is outlined in his processing example of NGC1333 in his Fundamentals series which can only be viewed if you have purchased the course.
Yeah, Jim. I've used that DBE trick to clean up the background on my starless images and it works well. Overall, I've really got a lot out of Adam's Fundamentals course and have been getting a lot out of the Horizon's lessons too.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

starfield wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:23 am
Juno16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:56 pm Thanks Steve,
Yeah, Jim. I've used that DBE trick to clean up the background on my starless images and it works well. Overall, I've really got a lot out of Adam's Fundamentals course and have been getting a lot out of the Horizon's lessons too.
Yeah, I guess that it’s time to sign up for Horizons.
Terrible skies this year so far and it would be nice to have that to look forward to.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/