Milky Way imaging advice please

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Petrol Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Milky Way imaging advice please

Post by Petrol »

This is what I managed to get from 4 X 30S subs taken with a Canon 1000d and standard lens. I took this about 3 years ago using a fixed tripod from the McDonald observatory in Texas - Bortle 2

A very poor effort but the view of the Milky Way was breathtaking!
I've done a bit of widefield using a Samyang 135 F2 but want to try some Milky Way shots. I've just bought a Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens and fitted it to my mobile rig to test.

I'll fire a few shots off whilst I'm imaging with the 135mm to see what I get but I have a few questions.
I plan on using an Astro modded Canon 600D (LP #2 removed) Should I use a clip in filter? I have an Astronomik CLS and Skytech Quad band filter but not sure if these will be any use.
I have a couple of ZWO ASI OSC camers, would this be better than the Canon considering the short sub lengths? If so with or without a Dual band filter?
Still not sure if I'll need to guide with such a wide angle and short sub length. If I could use the Canon on a tripod it would be great to take to dark sites as a grab and go setup.

Thank you for looking and I'd be grateful of any help or advice.
Clear skies,
Pete
Rig1. Samyang 135 F2 ED UMC, Player One Poseidon-C Pro, EQ5
Rig2. Celestron RASA 8, Zwo Asi 533 MC Pro, EQ6
APM Astrograph 107/700, Hutech/Idas filters, NINA, Pix.
lots of cables!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Milky Way imaging advice please

Post by JayTee »

If you keep your exposures to less than 31 seconds, then any camera will do. Don't use the Quad band just yet.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Trying to fire off the shutter on the DSLR while imaging at 135mm with the ZWO is sure to introduce vibration from the mirror slap. I wouldn't recommend using both rigs at the same time.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

For a non-tracking mount, you will lose a lot of light when using filters. For wide field objects like the MW with mostly broadband light, filters are probably not effective.

With the first image you can see 2 effects, the combination of field curvature (lens imperfection) and non-tracking. The combination of this leads to vertical streaks in the rightmost corners and horizontal/skewed streaks further to the left. A field flattener could get rid of half of that.

With a rig as fancy as yours you may want to consider getting a motorized mount. Any kind of tracking will help.

If you have a good photographic mount, you can image the entire MW by shooting 30 second shots with a regular lens if you cover the entire section of sky then stitch them together with MS ICE. It works quite well and, since each shot is a small part of the picture, any lens imperfections are reduced a lot as compared to using a single short focal length F2 lens that costs a lot of money and will probably show flaws unless it is exceptionally good.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Petrol Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Petrol »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I won't use both rigs at the same time. I'll not bother with filters. Short gap in the clouds last night so I took a couple of test shots from my back yard - Bortle 5.

Fixed tripod
Modded Canon 600D
Samyang 14mm F2.8
30s exposures using an intervalometer

I might be able to get some decent images from the right location with this combo. Maybe take a few subs, darks, flats and stack them.

Thanks for looking
Pete
Rig1. Samyang 135 F2 ED UMC, Player One Poseidon-C Pro, EQ5
Rig2. Celestron RASA 8, Zwo Asi 533 MC Pro, EQ6
APM Astrograph 107/700, Hutech/Idas filters, NINA, Pix.
lots of cables!
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Looking great so far!
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com