Post your Lunar images here.
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Rupes Recta, Rima Birt and Ancient Thebit

Post by astroavani »

There is an image to be analyzed with affection!
In a small area, we have a diversity of interesting formations, let's take advantage and bring you the reader curiosities about some.
The absolute best example of a lunar fault is found along the east coast of Mare Nubium - it's the straight wall or Rupes Recta. This lunar feature is known for a long hairline that never fails to impress; even casual lunar observers can enjoy a magnificent view. The view is best when the sun rises and the terminator is a little west (as in the attached photo), in the center of Mare Nubium. Thus, the wall casts a shadow that extends along its entire length of about 120 km. This dramatically demonstrates that the lunar surface must be lower on the western side of the fault than on the eastern side.
Several authors have reported that the wall is around 250-300 meters high, but the latest measurements through the projected shadow suggest that there may be parts as much as 450m above the bottom of the western basin. Despite appearances, the straight wall is not a cliff, although it is relatively steep, it rises above the plain at an angle of slightly more than 20°.
The narrow part of the wall, (traditionally called the Railway by British observers) is now officially known as the Rupes Recta and ends in the south against a bunch of short ridge segments which in the 17th century, the selenographer Christian Huygens likened to the hilt of a sword ( 1), with the straight wall corresponding to the blade of the sword (2).
If you expand your view, you will notice the ruined circular walls of an ancient unnamed crater, which had its floor flooded with lava and which my friend Charles Wood calls "Ancient Thebit", and Thebit itself (5) with 57 km wide is located almost in the center of the photo. The 200 km wide eastern edge of this ancient Thebit (indicated by the yellow circle, 3) is well defined, but its western edge is marked only by wrinkled arc-shaped grooves.
Although some researchers have noted that Rupes Recta is roughly radial to the Imbrium basin and therefore perhaps related to it, it is very clear that it is much more closely related to ancient Thebit. Wood believes that ancient Thebit was formed on the rim of Mare Nubium by a massive impact, and the western wall of the crater was eventually buried by lava flows that flooded the basin. This is essentially the same sequence that occurred in the Sinus Iridum basin in Mare Imbrium. A good part of the floor of the great Thebit gave way to accommodate the sinking of the basin, this is what probably gave rise to what we currently know as Rupes Recta.
Finally, if you look carefully in good viewing conditions, you will see a small parallel channel to the west of Rupes Recta, and to the north of the bright crater Birt (7). Each end of this channel, known as Rima Birt (4), ends in a small cave called Birt "E"(😎 and "F" (9). Rima Birt is a challenge for amateur observers and scientists trying to explain why it is there. Because the small cave at the north end of the channel is close to the rim of Greater Thebit, we can speculate that the fractures associated with the rim formed an easy path for lava to erupt onto the lunar surface, producing a dome collapse, a lava channel, and perhaps a small deposit of gas-driven ash and debris.
The difference in terrain altitude of about 50m in height between Birt E and Birt F helps to confirm this hypothesis, and makes it more evident that the lava flowing from Birt E found an easy path to penetrate Birt F.
In order not to make the text tiresome, let's talk about the beautiful Arzachel crater (6) at a later opportunity.
Source: Charles Wood - Sky & Telescope
Dobins, Parker, Capen - Observing and Photographing the Solar System
Adaptation and text: Avani Soares
Attachments
l2.jpg
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rupes Recta, Rima Birt and Ancient Thebit

Post by Ylem »

Very nice write up Avani, that was very informative.

Beautiful image!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the excellent picture and educational description. Rupes Recta interests me. I haven't paid as much attention to the other features in the neighborhood.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. Another beautiful lunar image from you with excellent sharp details on the entire frame using your C14 Edge telescope. Rupes Recta always is a great view when the sun is just right and also Birt "E" and "F" show up nicely. Thanks for sharing this fine lunar capture (my favorite solar system target) and your well written informative text with us on here Joe and keep up your great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very interesting - thanks.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

Thank you for comments!
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thank you for this very educational report.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Amazing image and superb description. Very well done sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

Dear colleagues!
I appreciate all the comments, I know that I don't participate much without posting some photos in which I try to perfect the information that may be interesting to everyone.
However, I am available to answer any questions you may have. If you want more detailed information about how the photo was taken, or even if you want details about processing, techniques or guidelines, feel free to ask me.
A clear sky to all!
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

An incredible image and a fascinating write-up. Another beauty, Avani :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven