Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Feb 8th Sun and some trials on Lusol3D

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope you're all well :D

I'll keep this short, been a long week so far. There was some "spot" activity on the Sun today and I managed to get home at a decent hour in clear skies for once in a bit. C80-HD, Baader 5.0 film, Solar Continuum and UV/IR cut filters and Canon EOS 550D on my CG4 at ISO 800 and 1/200th sec exp; best 75% of 150 shots.

Sun_02_08_2023s.jpg

Annotations:
Sun_02_08_2023a.jpg

Full size image here

@Gordon gave me a heads up on a neat program, Lusol3D. It's a Java program; you'll need a JRE to run it. I use Linux Mint as an OS which comes with OpenJDK Java 11 Runtime. You can also download the JRE for your OS here.

The main program is in English, and all the sub menus are in French. C'est la vie :D

One of the things it can do is take your image and apply "mile-markers" to it to give you a sense of scale. Very handy for spots and prominence's. I'm still playing with this program, but I like the fact that it's right on the money for accurately measuring the diameter/circumference of the Sun; even Jupiter at just under 140,000km's across is scaled properly.

Sun_02_08_2023_LuSol.jpg

Full size image here

Thanks for reading. I hope to have some more time with this soon, but for now I need to cut some ZZZ"s :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Feb 8th Sun and some trials on Lusol3D

Post by messier 111 »

very nice spots Mark , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Sounds like a neat program Mark.

It's somewhat mind boggling how large the Sun is!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Wonderful images Mark.
Boggles the mind a bit when you consider that the sun is not a large star when compared to some.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great images Mark.

Have fun with your new computer program.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Another great solar image in white light from you using your C80-HD telescope and Canon EOS 550D camera. I always enjoy your planetary size comparisons and annotations. And now you also show the sun's size with that new Lusol3D software. Thanks for sharing this nice capture with us on here Mark and that is AR3217 on the far left.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Hi Mark. another very nice White light set. I'll have to look into that program, hoping to join you in imaging soon.
Keith
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Excellent images, Mark! I'm going to look into that program as well. I don't get much solar viewing time these days because I'm doing night shifts now. Hopefully, I get some time in when the days get longer.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

messier 111 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:07 am very nice spots Mark , thx .
Merci, mon ami!

Ylem wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:14 am Sounds like a neat program Mark.

It's somewhat mind boggling how large the Sun is!
Thanks Jeff, and yes it is! The program is good even though it has a few interesting quirks... :lol:

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:10 am Wonderful images Mark.
Boggles the mind a bit when you consider that the sun is not a large star when compared to some.
Thanks Gabrielle; and yes, stars like VY Canis Majoris scare me!

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:02 am Great images Mark.

Have fun with your new computer program.
Thanks Vanessa, I will and hope all is good with you :D

Makuser wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:00 pm Hi Mark. Another great solar image in white light from you using your C80-HD telescope and Canon EOS 550D camera. I always enjoy your planetary size comparisons and annotations. And now you also show the sun's size with that new Lusol3D software. Thanks for sharing this nice capture with us on here Mark and that is AR3217 on the far left.
Thanks Marshall, much appreciated. And the new spot; so easy to guess it right... Hope all is good with you and Sheri!

Tillibobs wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:09 pm Hi Mark. another very nice White light set. I'll have to look into that program, hoping to join you in imaging soon.
Keith
Thanks much Keith, always appreciated :D Looking forward to seeing what you get soon!

Razz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:50 pm Excellent images, Mark! I'm going to look into that program as well. I don't get much solar viewing time these days because I'm doing night shifts now. Hopefully, I get some time in when the days get longer.
Thanks Bill; glad to see you got a new career; I knew your previous one wasn't the best for you! You're right with the longer days; I'm actually in the middle somewhat of building a portable/solid mount I can take with me in the truck with my 60mm. Hopefully I get the final parts tomorrow and I can make a post on it and give you food for thought/reasons to spend more money... :lol:

Take care all, and I hope to be on here a bit more soon :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D