Need Advice Please!

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
NolaGal888 United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Need Advice Please!

Post by NolaGal888 »

Hello, I'm new here and not sure if this is the best place to post, but here goes.

I have a 1990s era Orion ShortTube 4.5" EQ It has the tripod, several extra eyepieces, an "AstroTrack" motor, and very nice padded case. I used it quite a few times, but then didn't for many years. Around 2008 I started to try again, but after much effort could not get the scope collimated properly. I was about to join an astronomy group in my area and get some help with it when a major life event occurred and, once again, astronomy had to take a back seat in my life. About 6 yrs ago I brought the scope to a friend who lived in the country hoping he might be able to help me get it working. (There are no repair shops in my area.) No go, and it has been there ever since. I just got it back. So here I am with an old scope in great physical condition, but unusable, and definitely no longer practical. My husband and I are retired now and spend many months of the year on the road RVing. This brings me to my dilemma. What are we to do with this? It does not seem worth trying to ebay it since it's so heavy and bulky, and again, it was not in working condition the last time I tried. The shipping would be exorbitant. My 2nd question has to do with finding a telescope that would be good for travel - lightweight, easy to set up. (Photography is a big hobby of mine and I would LOVE to experiment in some astrophotography on our next long trip.) Whatever advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! :icon-smile:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Need Advice Please!

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Nola! I can relate to your experience. I have purchased the same Orion telescope around the same time and after one month of frustration and inability to collimate I have returned it.

From what I remember the EQ mount was usable. So, one option is to get a small refractor and use it on the mount you already have.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Earth Ambassador

Post by NolaGal888 »

I was successful with the telescope when it was new! Was pleasantly surprised to see Saturn and rings very clearly, and Jupiter and it's moons, and nice observation of the Moon. It was later after that where I could not get it to focus on objects. The tripod mount is made of wood and ridiculously heavy. I do not want to keep it.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Welcome to the forum NolaGal. I guess you could call me NolaGuy, I grew up in MidCity before moving out west.
A question about the focus problems you are having. When you look at something like the moon and try to focus, does it appear to start to get in focus and then as you keep turning the focuser the same direction, it gets blurry again? If so, it could be the collimation is way outta wack. If it just never appears to be able to reach focus then maybe there's a focus tube extension that you have left off by accident?
If you attempted collimation without the proper skills, it could be way out. A local astronomy club or even another local astronomy club member should be able to help you with getting it working properly. Reach out to the Pontchartrain Astronomy Society and I bet a member can help you get back on track real quick.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

NolaGal888 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:36 pm I was successful with the telescope when it was new! Was pleasantly surprised to see Saturn and rings very clearly, and Jupiter and it's moons, and nice observation of the Moon. It was later after that where I could not get it to focus on objects. The tripod mount is made of wood and ridiculously heavy. I do not want to keep it.
Sounds like you would be happier with a small refractor on light duty AltAz mount or even a photo tripod.

As you mentioned it is impractical to sell your Orion scope on eBay due to shipping charges. You may try Craig list or post on Cloudy Skies classifieds and specify local pickup only. Some people like project scopes and some prefer wooden tripods.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Hello NolaGal and welcome to TSS!

Orion is a reliable brand so if that scope is not working it may just be a matter of collimation like others have said. It takes a little bit of learning but should be no big deal once you get the hang of it. You may want to join a local astro club to help you out. While this is inconvenient to some, reflectors provide good aperture for the money.

I am just looking at some reviews and one person mentions that it has a "Barlow" in the tube to magnify reflections by the spherical mirror - that means that it's a Bird-Jones type, which is handy, size wise, because of the short tube but it is not great for sharp views. It will probably do fine for visual observing but not for astrophotography.

If you decide to get into astrophotography keep in mind that it requires a very solid and usually heavy mount so you may want to reconsider your dislike of that "heavy wooden mount". Stability is very important. Astrophotography has many more and harder learning curves than simply collimating a reflector. From that point of view, if you are not technically inclined you should stay away from astrophotography.

If you like simple viewing without too much hassle, a Dobsonian may work best for you, assuming that you will learn the collimation process. It provides good bang for the buck, but they are also large and have a heavier mount than what you have now.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello Nola,

I believe this is a modified Bird-Jones style Newtonian telescope.
Check the focuser tube, reach inside the telescope tube and see if the is a lens in the focuser tube.
If there is one that lens needs to be removed to collimte the telescope. Normally the cell just unscrews from the tube.
The lens is a doublet so make sure it goes in the way it came out.

Another thing to check is the spider vanes, is one inline with the focuser drawtube?
If not it will be quite hard to get the secondary mirror aligned properly if not.
A easy fix if needed. Depending on how they are attached to the tube you will have to align them by drilling new holes in the tube.

Check the collimation screws at the back. The primary mirror may be pushed up to far on the screws.
Back them off and try collimation again.

What do you use to collimate the telescope? Do you have a collimation eyepiece or a cheshire sight tube?

Here is a excellent step by step guide for checking/ collimating a Newtonian.
https://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/he ... reflector/
Let us know what you find :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Earth Ambassador

Post by NolaGal888 »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:48 pm Welcome to the forum NolaGal. I guess you could call me NolaGuy, I grew up in MidCity before moving out west.
A question about the focus problems you are having. When you look at something like the moon and try to focus, does it appear to start to get in focus and then as you keep turning the focuser the same direction, it gets blurry again? If so, it could be the collimation is way outta wack. If it just never appears to be able to reach focus then maybe there's a focus tube extension that you have left off by accident?
If you attempted collimation without the proper skills, it could be way out. A local astronomy club or even another local astronomy club member should be able to help you with getting it working properly. Reach out to the Pontchartrain Astronomy Society and I bet a member can help you get back on track real quick.
Oh, that's funny about your being from MidCity! We transplanted TO the area in 1976. Well, I have not made another attempt since many years ago. I did study and research and felt like I was doing exactly what was needed back then. In fact, I HAD collimated it successfully myself in the past. When I was unable to around 2009, I was at the point of joining a group on the Northshore when that "life event" happened and sidetracked everything. (There was a forum I was on back then, and I had offers of help.) I will see if I can connect with the Pontchartrain Astronomy Society and find someone with skill and experience who might help. At least if it was collimated and worked I would feel OK trying to sell or donate it since it is not practical to bring on our RV trips. Thanks for the info and advice! Much appreciated.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

For being stored in a RV I would recommend a Maksutov or small refractor as well.
Both are good for travel and provide excellent views.
A 90mm Maksutov or 80-100mm refractor would do well.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hi Nola, I agree with Lady Fraktor, a small Mak or refractor on an alt-az mount would fit your lifestyle best.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Small Mak is tailored towards planetary, lunar and doubles, small refractor is more universal telescope.

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I had many BJ scopes they can be ok but never really great , difficult to collimate for someone that is not used to it and they dont like travel . as mentioned get a small Mak or a refractor for travel , all the best
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I agree with the small refractor suggestions. An 80-90mm fast (f5 or so) achromat should be light and easy to mount and transport. But... they're not the best for photography. For visual and photo, I'd suggest an ED refractor, but keep in mind that the price, weight, and dimensions will all be more than an achro.

Here are a couple of my admittedly biased suggestions:
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... 3-f-6.html
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U

I went with the 72 because I thought an 80 might be a bit more size-wise than I wanted. I also have a Meade ST80 achromat that was $100 on Amazon. I really like it for a portable visual scope, but I'm not sure it would do very well for photography.

I had a 90mm Mak which was crazy light and portable, but I didn't care for the smaller field of view.

Good luck!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Ylem wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:14 pm Hi Nola, I agree with Lady Fraktor, a small Mak or refractor on an alt-az mount would fit your lifestyle best.
I third it! Also consider big binoculars. As for photography, I have a 127mm Mak and 80mm refractor but a high percentage of my shots are taken with my DSLR, using zoom lenses covering the range 18mm to 300mm focal length.

Many of my 'scopes and cameras have been all around the world. I even had customs folk wondering what I was using them for and checking my website.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Nola,

Your post is confusing whether you want to pursue visual observing, photography, portable telescope or all three?

Most astronomy hobbyists either buy equipments suited to astrophotography or buy telescopes better for visual. Telescopes that can do both are rare. As already mentioned, astrophotography requires a solid and accurate mount. The longer the focal length scope you put on, the bigger, heavier, more accurate, and more expensive is the mounting required.

You may prefer to dip your toe in the water just using a camera and lenses you already have. You can do a lot with wide angle, standard and short telephoto lenses and this is a great way to ease into the hobby with gear that you mostly already have. If your heavy mount is motorised, you can try mounting the camera on that mount or purchase a small camera tracker such as a Skywatcher Star Adventuer, or iOptron Sky Guider, both of which which mount on a solid camera tripod. I purchased a small camera bag that carries my whole Star Adventurer kit. These mounts are quite good for tracking with a camera and a wide angle to standard lens. Not so good for telephotos.

Astrophotography is more about the mounting than the optics. You can buy very decent optics for astrophotography relatively cheaply but good mounts cost much more. You will read astrophotographers referring to down the rabbit's hole, or the money pit when talking about their equipment.

The thing you definitely should not do, is buy a mass produced junk telescope on a wobbly mounting, attach your camera and think that you can start taking images like the best you see here. The people who post those images spent a long time learning and getting decent equipment.

If you want more specific recommendations, you should post your budget for people to consider.

Good luck
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)