DSLR Vs Dedicated Astronomy Camera - What's your opinion?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR Vs Dedicated Astronomy Camera - What's your opinion?

Post by chris_g »

Ok folks, it's official. I have a Canon 550D, modified full spectrum naked sensor, shipping tomorrow and an Optalong L-enhance 2" filter that shipped today. The filter will fit into the rotator so no additional equipment is needed at this time. I can use the APS-C L-Pro for galaxies and reflection nebula and the L-Enhance for emission nebula. And I also have an old hobby that I plan on renewing, ghost hunting, that the full spectrum will fiill perfectly. And the camera was only $306 shipped from Night Sky Camera. They say it's been fully tested and in excellent condition, I'll be posting more on it once I've got it in hand sometime next week.

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Good for you Chris!

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

My "new" astro DSLR arrived today from Night Sky Camera. It's a T2i and it's pristine with only 8896 shutter clicks. The camera literally looks brand new. I can't recommend Night Sky Camera enough if you're looking for an inexpensive used DSLR already modified or have one that you're wanting to get modified. Now if I can only get the post office to deliver the L-eNhance filter I ordered the same day. The camera came from Canada and the filter was ordered from California.

It's time to stop using USPS folks, delays and lost shipments are starting to become the norm with them. Agena says could be up to 10 days, so next Monday will be 10 days. I have another shipment coming from them via USPS but I am thinking it will be the last time I use them. You get what you pay for.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

JayTee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:47 am Use your DSLR for a year then come back to us and ask the same question.
Thought I would bring this one back up again. I've formulated my opinion. DSLr stinks during this time of the year for me. My temp run at 90+ F on the sensor on a clear night and my sky's transparency is almost always below average, humidity and high temps. Tie that with almost nothing in the western hemisphere for my skyline and my vote is dedicated cooled monochrome. I've gotten everything I need over the last few months, wheel and filters, except for the camera.

With the loss of the T2i, I'm looking at least an APS-C camera. Something like the QHY268, I like it better than the ZWO ASI2600, it has 8 times the buffer size, or perhaps the Altair Hypercam 26M, it's got twice the memory of the ASI. I'd really rather have a full frame since dedicated astro cameras also support ROI so I could limit the image size to the image circle the OTA support, but the cost!

Clear Skies,
Chris
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Chris,

Your final bit of research should be on astrobin. Go there and input each camera as a search criteria and compare real world images one against the other, against the other. Let us know what you find out. Also your budget will determine which camera you're going to get.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:33 pm
JayTee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:47 am Use your DSLR for a year then come back to us and ask the same question.
Thought I would bring this one back up again. I've formulated my opinion. DSLr stinks during this time of the year for me. My temp run at 90+ F on the sensor on a clear night and my sky's transparency is almost always below average, humidity and high temps. Tie that with almost nothing in the western hemisphere for my skyline and my vote is dedicated cooled monochrome. I've gotten everything I need over the last few months, wheel and filters, except for the camera.

With the loss of the T2i, I'm looking at least an APS-C camera. Something like the QHY268, I like it better than the ZWO ASI2600, it has 8 times the buffer size, or perhaps the Altair Hypercam 26M, it's got twice the memory of the ASI. I'd really rather have a full frame since dedicated astro cameras also support ROI so I could limit the image size to the image circle the OTA support, but the cost!

Clear Skies,
Chris
The ASI2600 is great but a larger FOV also puts higher demands on your optics. I would also look for an ASI1600, there are people who want to switch to a 2600 and sell their 1600. The 2600 does have good thermal properties though, not sure if the 1600 has the same.

How did you lose your T2i, or did you mean to say you can't use it in the summer?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:44 pm The ASI2600 is great but a larger FOV also puts higher demands on your optics. I would also look for an ASI1600, there are people who want to switch to a 2600 and sell their 1600. The 2600 does have good thermal properties though, not sure if the 1600 has the same.

How did you lose your T2i, or did you mean to say you can't use it in the summer?
I looked at the 1600 and other 4/3 sensors, definitely a cost saver on the budget, not that I have a budget yet, definitely future time! If I were to go with a 4/3 sensor, it would probably be the ASI294 or some derivative of it, the only drawback that I saw was that the 294 is a 14bit.

The T2i's USB port quit working, unrecognized device on the USB bus is the error. The 6D works fine. I suspect I know when it quit, I'm just not happy that I probably munched it. But I truly should rephrase, it's not a total loss, as long as the SNAP port still works. I can use it with either mount on the SNAP port but having to manually focus like that will be difficult at best. Those temps were from my last session in the beginning of May with the 6D, the temp made it as high as 99 on a 15 second sub. The data also had a lot of noise. I haven't had the opportunity to go out since due to work and the sky god not cooperating. I hope to make it out next weekend, new moon cycle, want to get some more data on the North America Nebula before it escapes me to the west.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Okey Dokey,

I decided on the IMX294 color sensor to replace my T2i that I lost last summer a couple of weeks back, it's almost the same size as the APS-C sensor. I discovered SVBony's version on Amazon a couple of days ago @ $200 less than the ZWO, the only difference I can see is the SVBony version does not have a USB 2.0 hub, I don't care. Amazon is also giving a $60 coupon off making it $260 less than the ZWO. Lucky enough, Astrobin has some images taken with it, not a lot yet but enough to see how the camera performs. They look good. I understand that the IMX294 sensor can be finicky when shooting flats so that will take some time to figure out but at this price point, I can't resist. Just placed the order for it. It should be here Saturday.

New thread coming, hopefully soon, with its first light.

Clear Skies,
Chris
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Does this camera cool itself?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

JayTee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:41 pm Does this camera cool itself?
Yes, it has the exact same specs as the ASI294MC Pro Cooled other than no USB 2.0 hub.

https://www.svbony.com/sv405cc-cooled-c ... 98F-F9127A
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Wow, Amazon has a an SVBony IMX585 based tec cooled camera, sv605cc, for $735 and I'm seeing a $40 coupon on that too.

Edit:

Really WOW!, SBony has the IMX585, non cooled version for $380, the sv705c. Watch out ZWO, here comes SVBony!!! Found on Amazon for $380 with a $20 off. Ok, I got my camera for EAA now. I am set for cameras until I am ready to shoot mono.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Well all, I've made my decision and I believe it's time to put this to bed with a full review of my choice, the SV405CC by SVBony. Primary reason is sensor then cost.

First, I will state this, I am in no way affiliated with the company nor am I receiving any compensation for this review. It is simply a complete review of my purchase including the time I was required to work with support when the camera failed almost two months after purchase and a quick assessment of the camera while it was working.

I opted to purchase the SVBony 405CC cooled camera. It's based on the IMX294 sensor, a ZWO ASI294 clone, minus the onboard hub. I chose the sensor first and the researched the cameras next. I found the SVBony version late December and ordered it in January. First, it worked fine for about six weeks before failing on downloads from sensor. Ok, I've been buying electronics now for over 40 years, sometimes you get a lemon. I made contact with SV Bony through the only channel I found at the time, Amazon Seller Messaging, where I bought the camera at. (shhh, lame system, but it worked :) ) Started working with Kelly, problem seemed to occur after an upgrade, so tech support recommended downgrade, easy enough to do with the tools. However, no tools were available on SVB's web site, welcome to using MS Word as a compression container because Amazon doesn't support uploading a zip file but does a MS Doc file! (Shhh, :roll: ) Other weirdness from Amazon but you can work around if needed. I needed; Kelly delivered. After getting the files to me, I performed the downgrade and things worked briefly then the camera failed again. I let Kelly know this and after no communication from his tech, he agreed to replace the camera. I got a brand-new camera yesterday, now all I have to do is return the old one to China. Little expensive but more than willing to do it, I got a new camera in its place. All of this took place over about a little over two week one delay for Chinese holiday and another almost week delay because of no response from tech support to Kelly. Every time I posted; a response was received usually within 12 hours depending on time zone.

The SV405CC.

Quick snapshot. There's no real documentation, the latest drivers, both ASCOM and Windows are available for download. All other links and tests to confirm camera is functional are through third party apps, the preferred choice to SVB Tech support is SharpCap. With the camera I would recommend keeping any old software around if you do any upgrades. Good thing I did. I managed to get a couple of shots out of it before it failed. I'm sure I can get better out of the new one.

Would I recommend the camera, yes. Would I recommend the company, yes.

Clear Skies,
Chris