Observation issue. Advice needed.

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Observation issue. Advice needed.

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I have an issue, and I need advice. I am positive other astronomers have this issue, by the way.

Have you ever had a satellite photobomb a good exposure? This has happened to me a few times. Here is one example:

C/2022 E3 (ZTF) See the line? Satellite.
C/2022 E3 (ZTF) See the line? Satellite.

I went online to Stellariumweb today, to find out ZTFs coordinates. I discovered this:

See all the satellites? All say the same thing: STARLINK.
See all the satellites? All say the same thing: STARLINK.

This is a legitimate issue. Obviously, theres nothing we can do about satellites, but they keep photobombing exposures. Here is my question, how do you all deal with this issue? Do you just do an exposure and hope there is no photobomb?

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observation issue. Advice needed.

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Jared
Take multiple exposures, stack on 'median' or similar averaging algorithm in your favourite stacking program. There's only one satellite track and 10,20, 50, 100 other sub exposures. The tracks disappear through the statistical averaging.

I had this happen just last night. The first image is one 30 second sub complete with airplane trail.
The second is that image, averaged as one of just six stacked images. You can see the trail is gone.
ETA-CARINA-VC200-4442.jpg
Stack-of-six.jpg

The first image is a jpg written direct from the raw sub. The second image is a straight stack of six, stacked on median, no other processing or tricks applied.

cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks for getting back. I appreciate it. I have two follow up questions.

First off, what DSO is that?

Second, I take my photographs with my phone, specifically an app called NightCap. I attach the phone to the eyepiece. It lets me do long exposures. With this process that you recommended me, would it work with exposures taken on my iPhone 11 with this app?
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I second the idea of taking more than one exposure then dropping out the bad ones before stacking. I'm not sure, but I would think a stacking program would work on iPhone shots. I don't have an iPhone. If you only have one frame you could probably open that frame with an photo editing program and clone out the satellite trail.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 am Thanks for getting back. I appreciate it. I have two follow up questions.

It's NGC 3372, Eta Carina

Second, I take my photographs with my phone, specifically an app called NightCap. I attach the phone to the eyepiece. It lets me do long exposures. With this process that you recommended me, would it work with exposures taken on my iPhone 11 with this app?

I am not familiar with the program. Providing you can export each image as a standard file format [TIFF, JPG, ETC], then any stacking program should be able to deal with those files.

Rob is a very experienced photographer. I agree with him that the best way is to delete bad subs before stacking. However, the advice I gave you was not to worry about deleting the images with satellite trails. You can just stack them. In the example I gave you, one of the six subs that I stacked to make the second image, was the first image with the aircraft light trail.I was assuming that you are using basic equipment, have limited time, and each sub is precious.

You can use those trailed subs in your stacking providing you have 5 or more images to stack, the trails will vanish.

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:56 am
Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 am Thanks for getting back. I appreciate it. I have two follow up questions.

I am not familiar with the program. Providing you can export each image as a standard file format [TIFF, JPG, ETC], then any stacking program should be able to deal with those files.

Rob is a very experienced photographer. I agree with him that the best way is to delete bad subs before stacking. However, the advice I gave you was not to worry about deleting the images with satellite trails. You can just stack them. In the example I gave you, one of the six subs that I stacked to make the second image, was the first image with the aircraft light trail.I was assuming that you are using basic equipment, have limited time, and each sub is precious.

You can use those trailed subs in your stacking providing you have 5 or more images to stack, the trails will vanish.

Joe
Thanks for getting back. Your advice will work for me. When I transfer the photos to my laptop, they turn into jpegs. I can do an experiment, I’ve got plenty of photos of that comet on that same night. I’ll see if it yields good results.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I don't recommend dropping frames with trails from a stack. With all the satellite "constellations" being launched these days, pretty soon every frame will have a trail. If you are going to stack multiple frames, any stacking software will have options for eliminating trails. Even a simple average will reduce them.

Clipping algorithms in the stacking software can completely eliminate them. If you have six frames and one has a trail, the stacking software will use all six frames for the majority of pixels, but will only use the five frames without a trail for the pixels that have the trail in the bad frame. This works well for all but the very worst of low-flying-aircraft-with-their-landing-lights-on trails.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:56 am

Joe
Here are the results using a simple Registax program.

As you can see, I accidentally formed some double stars. Probably just an alignment issue. However, at least I got rid of the trail!
Attachments
AB67F8E3-91F9-482A-9C51-F57F3FC9DC66.png
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Experiment2.jpg

I forgot to set something in the previous stack. Here is the correct one.

Thanks a bunch!

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

This is exactly the content that should be in this forum.

Thank you for contributing.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

JayTee wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:38 pm This is exactly the content that should be in this forum.

No problem. It is a serious issue in my opinion. Lots of satellites are getting launched into space. They are constantly ruining observations not just by me, but others. In a way, the satellites are ruining the night sky.

At least we’re working to find a solution towards getting the satellites out of exposures.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:46 pm
JayTee wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:38 pm This is exactly the content that should be in this forum.

No problem. It is a serious issue in my opinion. Lots of satellites are getting launched into space. They are constantly ruining observations not just by me, but others. In a way, the satellites are ruining the night sky.

At least we’re working to find a solution towards getting the satellites out of exposures.
When I was starting out in astronomy in the late 1970's, spotting a satellite crossing the relatively small field of view of my eyepiece during visual observing, was extremely rare, a couple of times in my first five years.

Currently, I spot satellites photon bombing a 0.5 deg field of my 18" multiple times every single night out. Each time this is usually followed by a load exclamation of, expletives aimed at Elon. :o