EAA with Deep Sky Wonders

Area for posting image captures using Electronically Assisted Astronomy (EAA).
Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

EAA with Deep Sky Wonders

Post by Xio1996 »

A really enjoyable EAA session last night. Again, the conditions were not ideal but using a camera instead of your eye gives you a little more latitude when it comes to observing opportunities :D

A new book had dropped (like a stone) through my letter box that very morning. Deep Sky Wonders by Sue French. This is an amazing book and I really wish I had purchased it years ago. I decided to observe the objects in two of Sue's January sections: Northern Lights (Where Camelopardalis and Cassiopeia meet...) and Heavenly Beauties (Triangulum and Andromeda border). In hind sight, a little too many objects for a casual night of observing.

My EAA setup starts with my 14 year old Celestron CPC-800, still going strong after all these years and purchased for visual use rather this new-fangled EAA :D Three years ago, I added an Altair Astro 294C colour camera and a Celestron Electronic Focuser. This allowed me to move indoors and not sit in negative degree Celsius conditions of last night. The advantage of indoor observing (other than not freezing) is that is gives me the opportunity to read-up on the objects I'm observing which adds to the enjoyment of the observing experience. Below is an image of the setup. The plastic box houses a laptop and power supplies for the scope and dew heater. Inside I sit at my desktop computer at the remote distance of 5m! CPWI, SharpCap, ASTAP (plate-solving), ASPS (plate-solving) and ASCOM Remote Server run on the outside laptop. Inside the desktop uses MS Remote Desktop to access the laptop and through the magic of MS PowerToys combines the laptop apps with the desktop running apps of AstroPlanner and Stellarium on a 4k monitor.

EAA Setup.jpg

I take a snapshot of each of the objects I observe and use AstroPlanner to store my notes and images together for future reference. The images are saved as seen from SharpCap and cropped/scaled in GIMP (for SkySearchers). I would not have the patience or expertise of astro photographers to process the images and I only keep the final stacked image in any case. My approach stems from my use of EAA as a natural next step in visual observing. Personally, I see no problem in viewing an object in near real-time and then processing the stack of images again, at your leisure, to bring out more exciting detail. But, that is not for me, yet :D

The observations below are the highlights from the evening session. Rest assured I viewed all of Sue French's objects as listed in her excellent book.

My first object was NGC 891 (Silver Sliver Galaxy) an edge on galaxy in Andromeda. I have observed this object before but it is quite a site, with its central dust lane. The great thing about EAA is that you can zoom into an image and see the structure of the dust lane as it bisects the core and breaks up as it moves to the outer extremities of the galaxy.
15s subs x 110 frames, gain 900, dark, flat, background subtraction - blended offset.

NGC891_Stack_110frames_1650s-18_34_24_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

The next object is part of M33 and is the huge nebula designated NGC 604. Sue's book informs us that it 50 times bigger than our own galaxies Orion Nebula! I really enjoy observing this mighty face on spiral galaxy but zooming into NGC 604 and seeing the structure was amazing. NGC 604 is the bright knot of gas, up from the centre and slightly to the left.
15s subs x 92 frames, gain 900...

NGC604_Stack_92frames_1380s-19_42_08_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

From galaxies to an open star cluster, Stock 23 (Pazimo's Cluster) on the border between Camelopardalis and Cassiopeia. This cluster is a little large for the FOV of my setup but the view was still enjoyable. The two top, horizontal bright stars, in the image below, point to a right-hand smaller star, surrounded by nebulosity. A dark nebula extends from the top-right of the image and winds itself down and under the star cluster. The dark nebula is quite hard to see in the image.
15s subs x 33 frames, gain 900...

Stock_23_Stack_33frames_495s-20_46_00_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

The next object was the planetary nebula NGC 1501 (Oyster Nebula) in Camelopardalis. A slightly oval, green/blue planetary nebula. A bright central star and mottled, darker interior. I believe this is the first time I have visited this planetary. Thank you Sue French! The nebula is set in sea of stars and is a very pretty sight.
15s subs x 40 frames, gain 900...

NGC1501_Stack_40frames_600s-21_03_39_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

The final object is the galaxy IC342 in Camelopardalis. It is has a very low surface brightness due the extinction of its light by the dust and gas in our galaxy. In my observation notes, I wrote. 10 minutes in and the spiral arms are starting to show blue knots of star clusters. It is a really large galaxy. Such a pity the Milky Way's dust is obscuring its true majesty.
15s subs x 88 frames, 900 gain...

IC342_Stack_88frames_1320s-21_30_22_WithDisplayStretch.jpg

I hope you found this EAA observing account enjoyable. I would be very appreciative to read about your adventures in EAA.

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Re: EAA with Deep Sky Wonders

Post by smp »

Excellent report, and fine photos, Pete.
Thanks for sharing!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very cool shots!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Awesome, I truly love the shots. It's nice to see your work, thanks for sharing! I do plan on working with EAA using my ST80 and 80ED, just missing he camera!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Xio1996 Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your kind words. A camera does help for EAA :D . I started EAA three years ago with the purchase of the Altair Astro 294C. however, I was reading the forums and watching YouTube videos for many months before that! I loved sitting out beneath the stars, even if I was freezing to death or being bitten by numerous insects , and please don't remind me of my neighbours' security lights! I don't want to get nostalgic, but I remember many years ago, at the same location I observe today, not being able to see my hand in front of my face on dark winter nights. Now, unfortunately, it is possible to almost read a book! EAA has reignited my love for astronomy and has given me the opportunity to once again observe this magnificent universe we all live in. Plus, I can drink coffee without steaming up my eyepiece. :D

Have fun.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice images Pete!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

very nice report and images, very well done
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Super nice catching, looks like a lot if fun!
Exploring Solar Spectral Diversity Through Custom Colour Solar Filtering & Imaging

thestarhugger@gmail.com

Solar Kitchen Observatory USA