Our night sky is disappearing in the fog of light pollution, faster than expected.

Discuss Astrophysics.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Our night sky is disappearing in the fog of light pollution, faster than expected.

Post by Gmetric »

Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Our night sky is disappearing in the fog of light pollution, faster than expected.

Post by Unitron48 »

Pretty sad, but not unexpected...

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Our night sky is disappearing in the fog of light pollution, faster than expected.

Post by helicon »

Pretty upsetting actually. LED's were supposed to improve conditions compared with unhooded sodium vapor lights but that is not the case.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

helicon wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:23 pm Pretty upsetting actually. LED's were supposed to improve conditions compared with unhooded sodium vapor lights but that is not the case.
Unitron48 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 pm Pretty sad, but not unexpected...

Dave
Indeed, really sad state of affairs. As an astrophotographer and living in an area where all the lights are LED it's really noticeable in my images. Sadly, filter technology, other than really narrow band filters, is slow to catch up and probably won't be able to effectively filter LED light out due to its broad spectrum. Cities need dimmer switches!
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

It’s definitely happening I’m not sure what we can do about it.
Even in my little patch of heaven I had a few neighbors moving into houses that were recently built in my area recently.
I have pleaded with them to keep the lights off at night most happily comply but I got one or two people would just leave the lights on and they leave them on 24/7 even during the day ridiculous.
https://www.darkskysociety.org/
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:00 pm It’s definitely happening I’m not sure what we can do about it.
Even in my little patch of heaven I had a few neighbors moving into houses that were recently built in my area recently.
I have pleaded with them to keep the lights off at night most happily comply but I got one or two people would just leave the lights on and they leave them on 24/7 even during the day ridiculous.
https://www.darkskysociety.org/
My old neighborhood was the same. I even had neighbors stop by when I had my scope out and in the process of looking through the eyepiece comment on all the lights in the area! Some were the very same ones that left the outside lights on all night long!!

We have since moved into a neighborhood less light polluted!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Luckily the village I am living in shuts down street lighting after 22:00 other than 1 light at each main intersection.
They do it for cost saving but I enjoy the benefit when the skies are clear.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Here in South Africa we have a major electricity problem for the last decade, and now its getting much worse sometimes 6-8hrs power cuts/day
This worked quite well for some time as the night sky definitely improved , but over time in my area most have installed solar panels and solar lights , and some even run generators , so now besides the light pollution being the same , we now have noise pollution as well .
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My neighborhood now is quite dark as there are no streetlights. The problem is bright porch lights, motion detectors, and the like, which cause an incredible amount of ambient LP. Screening them off with a tarp seems to work. I'm also about 10 miles from town on a windy road that follows the lakeshore here, and finally nestled between two hills, Lookout Mountain and Galbraith Mountain, which creates the valley.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Ugh...
Seems to get worse every year :(
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ylem wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:38 pm Ugh...
Seems to get worse every year :(

It sure does!

In my area, led lighting has made it much worse. I didn’t know how good i had it with sodium vapor lighting.

For AP, filters and processing software have improved, but they both are losing in the long run.
Don’t get me wrong, the filters and software are awesome, but dark skies (in my backyard) would surely be better!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

The long term prognosis is very bad for populated areas. There are many areas of the world that are quite dark, but of course they are not somewhere most people would wish to live. Our backyard at home has degraded from Bortle 5 to 6 over the past few years as they continue to build in our region. Our second house in the far western part of the state is still a good Bortle 3. I have seen some very slight degradation there, as it used to be closer to Bortle 2 frequently. I can at times see additional sky glow to the east where more populated areas are located beyond multiple ridgelines. Those ridgelines do dampen the spread of the glow, thankfully. There is no industry located in that county nor likely to ever move there as it is totally rural and the least populated in the state (under 2,400). The county seat is under 150 population as well, and local residents like things staying the way they are (less population, less light, quiet and simple). However, I can envision a very slow uptick in sky glow over the coming years from distant population centers as those areas continue to expand outward. However, I think it will remain a darker pocket within an otherwise bright region.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)