Let's see your reports!
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A Casual Day of Observing

Post by The Wave Catcher »

This report is one from my personal observation logs that I keep just for fun. Keep in mind that I’m a casual, though very active, visual observer.

2023-01-08
15:30-16:20 CST (UTC -6)

The weather was perfect, clear, calm, and 62 F. I brought out my small Astro-Tech AT80ED, f/7 refractor telescope and my Meade Glass White-Light Solar Filter SF #450 to observe to sun.

I mainly used my Astro-Tech 12 mm (46.7x) eyepiece. I counted at least five large regions of sunspots and and a great many individual spots. Seeing conditions over the warm rooftops was probably about 2/5. I also saw regions of plage. I also tried my 13 mm Plossl (43x) eyepiece. Both are ideal for the sun with the AT80ED.

I observed for a while because at intermittent times of good seeing I could see remarkable detail in the larger sunspot regions. I didn’t try to document everything I could see though I did capture a few images on my phone just for the record.

As the sun became quite low, I quit but left the telescope out for the night.

18:05-18:45

I came back out after solar observing and turned to Jupiter in the twilight sky. The temperature was now 57 F and dropping and seeing had improved to nearly 5/5. Jupiter being high in the sky helped too.

With my 5 mm (112x) eyepiece, I could see the four Galilean moons, the two main belts on Jupiter, and some darkened structure near both poles. I tried various combinations of eyepieces and Barlow lens but tonight the 5 mm alone worked the best.

Next, I star hopped to nearby Neptune with my 32 mm (17.5x) eyepiece. It was easy to find starting from Jupiter, though it was faint as usual. I put in my 5 mm and I could clearly see Neptune as just a slightly blue spec of light. I wouldn’t not have known it from another star if were not for me “plate solving” in my head against the star catalogues in SkySafari Pro and Stellarium.

19:05-19:27

Again, starting from Jupiter and moving north with my 25 mm (22.4x) eyepiece, I came upon the distinctly red carbon star, TX Piscium (19 Piscium). It stood out amongst the other stars so I zoomed in on it with the 5 mm. I saw a clear red-orange Airy disk with clean diffraction rings. I put the 25 mm back in and a slowly spinning satellite passed slowly to the west of the star on a descending orbit.

20:15-21:20

It was now 51 F and I was back out after supper to find a pre-selected target, Alrischa (Alpha Piscium, α Piscium), a double star in Pisces. I found it with my 22.4X and then with the 112X it looked two stars stuck together. With the addition of the 2X Barlow (224x), I could clearly separate them. They were two distinct Airy disks with space in between them. Each had its own diffraction ring that did overlap each other. The more northern star was slightly fainter. At 1.8” apart, this should still be within the Rayleigh Limit of the resolving power of this telescope. It is a good double star to test your optics on.

I hopped over to the double star Omicron Piscium (ο Piscium) but I could not split it. The pair was reported by SkySafari Pro to be 0.0” apart but I was hoping that was a typo. Apparently, it was not.

I then hopped to the beautiful double star Mesarthim, or γ Arietis. I could split the pair with my 25 mm eyepiece but at 5 mm the identical white pair of stars looked like a pair of eyes starring back at me! I’m sure that I’ve seen this unforgettable pair before.

Since Uranus was in the vicinity, I star hopped my way over to it with the 25 mm eyepiece. I observed it as a pale blue disk slightly larger than a bright star with my 5 mm and 2X Barlow. However, I could not see any moons. The slight diffraction ring that I was seeing at 224x may have been obscuring them or my 80 mm telescope simply cannot resolve them.

The bright Moon was rising over my rooftop to the east, thin clouds were moving in, and I had to go to work in the morning after a long holiday break so I brought everything in for the night. It was now 47 F. I don’t know why, but I feel colder in the 40’s and 50’s than I do in freezing weather.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A Casual Day of Observing

Post by John Baars »

Very nice observations! With some beautiful double stars.
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the report Steve and certainly you covered a wide variety of objects including the gas giants (sans Saturn) and saw them as disks, double stars, a carbon star, and during the day - sunspots. A nice haul and an effort worthy of today's VROD!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session! Nice targets! Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Steve. A very nice observing report and logging solar active regions, three planets (including the Galilean moons), some nice doubles, and a carbon star. Thanks for this well written and interesting read report Steve and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Steve and congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice report Steve :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Real nice outing Steve, congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That would be my ultimate day Steve, good for you on getting all that! I'm envious... ;)

All the best and hope it continues for you,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

congrat on the vrod , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Thanks everyone and thanks for the VROD!
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for posting. Congratulations on the VROD.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution