AstroTech UWA 82*

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Frazman United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

AstroTech UWA 82*

Post by Frazman »

EA393D1C-5F3F-41A6-811F-B1402DBE9932.jpeg
A new scope deserves new glasses, yes, I’m sure I heard that SOMEWHERE?!

If I am wrong just let me be wrong :shock:

All I have left of my old collection are my UO HD Orthos and the Fujiyama in the same flavor to round out the set (I wanted a complete set of UO’s but they ran out and retired before I could acquire the rest of them).
So, I decided to go in a different direction and went wide, ordering a 10mm and a 4mm in the titled brand. I had tried an 82* some years ago from ES but for some reason it gave me something akin to vertigo and I swiftly sold it off.

The AT UWA for some reason did not affect me that way. I put it in the new AT 72 EDII and pointed to an early evening moon and was rewarded with and enjoyable very crisp view with the 10mm ep.

After nearly blinding myself (bright light!), I took a long break and then returned to my outdoor open-air observatory (read my back deck), and pointed to M42. Again the views were crisp and sharp with a pleasing field of view wide enough to move easily from one point to another even though I am very much out of practice starhopping.

At just under $100, this eyepiece is well worth the price of admission and has a permanent place in my kit. I know there are better UWA’s available out there, but not at so modest a price I think.
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AstroTech UWA 82*

Post by Ylem »

Sounds like a nice EP, I just picked up my first new 2" EP in years.

Like you, my new 80ED was the motivation :)
A 10mm 2" is something I have never tried, I think my shortest 2" has been a 28 or 32mm.

Now my wallet is shaking in fear lol.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new glass! Orthos are great but it is nice to have a widefield for DSOs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Huh. I just happen to have a new AT72ED and a couple of AT Paradigms. ;) Might be time to try a wider FOV AT.

I know what you mean about the vertigo thing. Don't remember details, but I took a look through some EP once and felt seasick.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s