Discuss Astrophysics.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Sabine on Special Relativity.

Post by Gmetric »

Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Sabine on Special Relativity.

Post by SkyHiker »

At minute 15 I think she makes a mistake by stating that the water in the rotating bucket goes up because it moves in a circle and, therefore, is accelerating. It does not at all move in a circle in the bucket's coordinate frame, only in the observer's frame! That's the point of Mach's principle, which she missed. The water is at rest, and the gravitomagnetic effect of the rotating universe creates the force that keeps the water up - a true centrifugal force, not a virtual force. Am I missing something here? I don't think so.

Also, her statement that acceleration is absolute is only correct if you don't believe in Mach's principle. By minute 15 that was already clear, of course. While Mach's principle is usually about rotating frames it also applies to linear acceleration as pointed out by Sciama. Mach's principle almost certainly fits in with general relativity, as indicated by Einstein/Lense/Thirring, Brill/Cohen and later GEM based articles, so there is no need to assume that acceleration is absolute. At least not without refuting those results.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images