Cold weather observing

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Cold weather observing

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:54 pm
kt4hx wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 pm
helicon wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:20 pm I'm hoping to get out tonight as this morning it is sunny and clear. A balmy 9 degrees F too. Yesterday I had 14" of snow on my steep and winding driveway that took me two hours to shovel off. As mostly a Californian I'm trying to adapt to this stuff.

You might want to invest in a snow blower Michael. For those that get snowed on regularly, sure beats shoveling.
I looked it up Alan and supposedly you can't use them on concrete driveways...there may be a type without rotors but I am not sure. Shovel, salt, and sand seems to be the way to go. Expecting more snow tonight. I did make it to the grocery store yesterday but getting up the driveway is a slippery adventure. :popcorn:

Also didn't manage to get out, partly cloudy and 5 degrees. I guess @JayTee has it worse though.

Concrete would be a different animal. We all have asphalt here and people use them all the time. I don't have one, but Mary did get me a power snow shovel to use. We don't get a lot of snow on average and hopefully will make my task easier. We shall see.

For sure, there are those that have it a lot worse, and I don't envy them. We will only have a rain event from this storm, and our dark site house is saying about 1" of snow.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

helicon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:54 pm I looked it up Alan and supposedly you can't use them on concrete driveways...there may be a type without rotors but I am not sure. Shovel, salt, and sand seems to be the way to go. Expecting more snow tonight. I did make it to the grocery store yesterday but getting up the driveway is a slippery adventure.
Thank. God for my new (this fall) snowblower. I use it on the concrete portions of my driveways with no ill effects. I highly recommend one. Not only do you not have to shovel, their also fun to use.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

I don't have too much to add to the suggestions made so far, but I guess I'll pipe up since it was -34C (-29F) last night and promises to be -29C tonight. Skies are very clear and stable, and air is very dry, so in that sense it's good for astronomy. But standing at an eyepiece or setting up equipment in this temperature takes quite a lot of dedication - or a special event. In conditions like this I usually do astronomy with a Mark-1 eyeball, from within the hood of a parka.

I've done astrophotography a few times in temps below -20C.
Whenever it's below -15C or so, I do take extra precautions with the camera and scope.

I haven't had any problems taking the camera (Canon 6D) outside from the house. I'm aware that it needs a cool-down period while parts inside are still warm. The case and lenses cool down faster because they're in contact with cold air. This should be a consideration if you intend to swap lenses while your camera is outdoors and it hasn't equalized temperatures, yet.

If I want to bring the camera in, I wrap it carefully in a large plastic bag and tie off the end. Any shopping bag will do, but make sure it doesn't have little holes that will let the moist air in while the camera is warming up. Keep this bag closed for an hour at least. If I am so impatient to access the pics I might download files or pull the SD card out *before* bringing the camera inside. But then be mindful that if you bring it straight in the house, or palm it in your mitt, then the SD card itself will collect frost! So that's not actually a good idea.

My scope never comes in the house so it's always close to ambient temperature whenever I use it. The AVX mount's LCD display doesn't work below -25 degrees any more, which limits my December/January observations. Nah, who am I kidding? I'm getting soft and I don't hang out in sub-zero temps as much as I used to.

All of the above also applies to things like eyepieces, which you might also keep in the house and carry outside. If you have a case or box to put them all in, and you carry that box in and out of a warm house, then check to see if the box is sealed well enough to keep moisture out after you bring it inside. A "pelican" case is great, a shoebox... not-so great. They'll need time to acclimate after each thermal transition.

Even if your equipment can't go in and out of the house when it's below -15C, you can. Take breaks from the cold, and have a mug of tea waiting for you. It can be quite a... tactile... experience.

For sure I have seen very low noise in the photos taken on cold nights. I don't think the difference between -15C and -25C mattered, but -15C sure is better than +15C.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

helicon wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:20 pm I'm hoping to get out tonight as this morning it is sunny and clear. A balmy 9 degrees F too. Yesterday I had 14" of snow on my steep and winding driveway that took me two hours to shovel off. As mostly a Californian I'm trying to adapt to this stuff.

You might want to invest in a snow blower Michael. For those that get snowed on regularly, sure beats shoveling.
I looked it up Alan and supposedly you can't use them on concrete driveways...there may be a type without rotors but I am not sure. Shovel, salt, and sand seems to be the way to go. Expecting more snow tonight. I did make it to the grocery store yesterday but getting up the driveway is a slippery adventure. :popcorn:

Also didn't manage to get out, partly cloudy and 5 degrees. I guess @JayTee has it worse though.
On most blowers for home use, the blades have a 1-2" rubberize edge guard for safety reasons. Check them out at any big home improvement store and you'll see what I mean.

I save the desiccant packets from my wife's stream of Amazon deliveries and keep them in a sealed container. If I have to pack cold accessories for transport, I toss them in a plastic utility box with a few desiccant packets. Even if I forget them for a few days after, that is usually enough to keep anything from growing on the gear.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

GCoyote wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:13 pm

[/quote]
On most blowers for home use, the blades have a 1-2" rubberize edge guard for safety reasons. Check them out at any big home improvement store and you'll see what I mean.

I save the desiccant packets from my wife's stream of Amazon deliveries and keep them in a sealed container. If I have to pack cold accessories for transport, I toss them in a plastic utility box with a few desiccant packets. Even if I forget them for a few days after, that is usually enough to keep anything from growing on the gear.
[/quote]

I'll go to Loews or Home Depot to check them out, I know that JT's was around $1300.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

helicon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:54 pm I looked it up Alan and supposedly you can't use them on concrete driveways...there may be a type without rotors but I am not sure. Shovel, salt, and sand seems to be the way to go. Expecting more snow tonight. I did make it to the grocery store yesterday but getting up the driveway is a slippery adventure.

You must have gotten that backwards.

Snowblowers - from the "Electric Shovel" to the "Walk-behind" to the ATV/SkidSteer/Tractor-mounted to the Truck-mounted - work PERFECTLY on Concrete (and Asphalt - and any Hard/Smooth surface material). In many cases, they can be set to clear to within 1/4" of the hard surface. These blowers will also work on "well-groomed" Gravel Driveways. And with "Spacer Skids" that hold the Blower a couple of inches off the surface, can even clear Gravel Roads with modest ruts and potholes.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

seigell wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:17 pm

You must have gotten that backwards.

Snowblowers - from the "Electric Shovel" to the "Walk-behind" to the ATV/SkidSteer/Tractor-mounted to the Truck-mounted - work PERFECTLY on Concrete (and Asphalt - and any Hard/Smooth surface material). In many cases, they can be set to clear to within 1/4" of the hard surface. These blowers will also work on "well-groomed" Gravel Driveways. And with "Spacer Skids" that hold the Blower a couple of inches off the surface, can even clear Gravel Roads with modest ruts and potholes.
Thanks for the info!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Whoever told you that you cant run a snowblower on concrete lied to you lol. Nice smooth concrete is the best thing to run a blower on.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Mike Q wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:41 am Whoever told you that you cant run a snowblower on concrete lied to you lol. Nice smooth concrete is the best thing to run a blower on.
Growing up in the UP of Michigan, I spent every winter running a large auger snowblower up and down our concrete sidewalk and doublewide driveway with no problems. Two feet of snow per storm was not uncommon.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

JayTee wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:59 pm The Arctic blast is here!

Along with it are potentially clear skies and life-threatening cold temps. Tonight's low forecast is -8° to -10°F (-22° to -23°C). The locals say it hasn't been this cold here in 30 years!

The observatory roof has shown that it operates as advertised in cold temps, this cold we'll see.

The big question is, do I have the fortitude to go out and brave this level of cold?

I'll let you know in 5 hours.

BTW - The wind chill could get as low as -35°F (-37°C)

EDIT: The sky never got clear enough to be called "useable". So I didn't have to make the tough call...
I remember those few days. I dont think we have had cold like that since the Blizzard of 78. The wife and I took a walk around the house when it let up a little. It took longer to dress for the cold then we were actually out. The high for the day on the 23rd was -2 with windchills at 30 below. I am getting too old for that kind of stuff
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Unfortunately for me I just dont handle cold like i used to. I am pretty much done at 20 degrees. There had not better even be the slightest breeze either. I used to be able to hunt at zero but now days if it is much under 20 i dont even go outside much
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Well, first winter storm warning and snow advisory through October 26th. I did buy an ice scraper attached to a long pole at ACE this past weekend. That hopefully will be useful. I can do the snow with a shovel but I had to use a trench spade to pry up the ice from the driveway last winter. With a fairly steep driveway it was necessary. The good news is that we got a Subaru AWD Forester to handle the winter road conditions - last year the Lexus IS250 got stuck in the snow even though we had purchased snow tires. Other SUV (Honda AWD CRV) worked pretty well.
-Michael
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

The only time I experienced -29deg c is when the floor of a deep freeze at a retail store had to be repaired , the temp was around -30 deg c , we all took turns of 5 min to evaluate what need fixing for a quote , breathing was the major issue for me , so cant even imagine doing any astro stuff
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Mike Q wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:19 am Unfortunately for me I just dont handle cold like i used to. I am pretty much done at 20 degrees. There had not better even be the slightest breeze either. I used to be able to hunt at zero but now days if it is much under 20 i dont even go outside much
Mike, I wish I could handle down to 20F, I'm done at 40F 😆 and then it's only binoculars 😆 I am a certified weather wimp!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Its a killer. I can dress in arctic carhartts, have 1000 milligram thinsulate boots on and will still get cold. I have tried heated socks, heated vests and hand warmers and I still get cold. Its a shame because Orion will be up at night soon and I won't get much time to really look at him or make my horsehead attempt.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Mike Q wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:20 am Its a killer. I can dress in arctic carhartts, have 1000 milligram thinsulate boots on and will still get cold. I have tried heated socks, heated vests and hand warmers and I still get cold. Its a shame because Orion will be up at night soon and I won't get much time to really look at him or make my horsehead attempt.

Orion is a shorts and tee shirt mid-summer observing night..........in the southern hemisphere.

Fly south for the winter.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Its been years since I observed from out doors, but back in the day when I was able my dobs would have me out to -30f for hours...

Eyepieces in my pockets to keep them clear and 2" insul board under my feet, that insul board stuff is awesome, those two tricks and a heat gun I modded with a high speed fan to occasionally defrost the mirrors.

The hair dryer was a little underpowered for the most severe cold and the insul board made my cheap winter boots seem expensive.

Best of cold weather observing Everyone!
Exploring Solar Spectral Diversity Through Custom Colour Solar Filtering & Imaging

thestarhugger@gmail.com

Solar Kitchen Observatory USA
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:24 am
Mike Q wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:20 am Its a killer. I can dress in arctic carhartts, have 1000 milligram thinsulate boots on and will still get cold. I have tried heated socks, heated vests and hand warmers and I still get cold. Its a shame because Orion will be up at night soon and I won't get much time to really look at him or make my horsehead attempt.

Orion is a shorts and tee shirt mid-summer observing night..........in the southern hemisphere.

Fly south for the winter.
Joe

I wish, i may move south when i retire, but Tennessee would be about it lol
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL