The Moon...and other things!

Let's see your reports!
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

The Moon...and other things!

Post by Unitron48 »

This report is from the night of 28 December. My primary objective was to view the Apollo 17 landing site and surrounding area in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the December 1972 landing. Equipment used was a Stellarvue SVX127D on a Losmandy G-11 mount with Televue eyepices: 22 mm Panoptic (46x); 10mm Radian (102x); and 6mm Ethos (169x).

From NASA: "The lunar landing site was the Taurus-Littrow highlands and valley area. This site was picked for Apollo 17 as a location where rocks both older and younger than those previously returned from other Apollo missions, as well as from Luna 16 and 20 missions, might be found."

I set up at sunset to observe the "near" Mercury-Venus conjunction...followed during the evening with short viewings of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Mars. I didn't spend much time on the planets, but learned never to miss an opportunity to check them out!

Following my lunar observing, I also took advantage of the clear, steady skies to check out several open clusters in Auriga ( M36, M37, M38, NGC 1893, NGC 1778, NGC 1857, NGC 1664, and NGC 1582) and Taurus (M45, NGC 1746, NGC 1647, NGC 1817, and NGC 1807).

Now onto the main event. I focused my lunar observation on the Mare Serenitatis area starting with the interesting crater Posidonius and continuing along the Aldrovandi Range to the Taurus-Littrow valley. The area observed is shown in the attached image from Charles Woods "Atlas of the Moon". I scanned the area first at 102x and then took detailed views, identifying all the objects in that area.

A17 Landing.jpg

The views through the SVX127D were amazingly crisp and I devoted a good two hours to doing a detailed survey of the area. My motivation for this session stems from my early years devoted to the space program that included all the early launches from Sputnik to the Apollo 17 mission. I also had the opportunity to meet the Apollo 17 astronauts when they made landfall in American Samoa.
A17 Crew.jpg

A thoroughly satisfying session!!

Dave
Last edited by Unitron48 on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Moon...and other things!

Post by John Baars »

Quite impressive list of open clusters! As impressive as identifying the details on the map. Funny, when one has a special bond with a certain Apollo flight, one always looks for the landing site. And so did you. My "special place" is the landing site of Apollo 15. As a kid I saw the photographs of the Hadley rille and the astronauts in the newspaper. Never forgotten.
Nice report, thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

John Baars wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:46 pm Quite impressive list of open clusters! As impressive as identifying the details on the map. Funny, when one has a special bond with a certain Apollo flight, one always looks for the landing site. And so did you. My "special place" is the landing site of Apollo 15. As a kid I saw the photographs of the Hadley rille and the astronauts in the newspaper. Never forgotten.
Nice report, thanks!
Thanks, John! All the Lunar missions had their fascination. Hopefully we'll be able to add some more in the foreseeable future.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Quite a session Dave! Planets, Lunar and DSOs a plenty. Definitely worthy of VROD!

I don't do it often, but do enjoy Lunar deep dives with my 9.25" Edge SCT.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:22 pm Quite a session Dave! Planets, Lunar and DSOs a plenty. Definitely worthy of VROD!

I don't do it often, but do enjoy Lunar deep dives with my 9.25" Edge SCT.
Thanks, Andrey! Was a very successful session. Now the rain is coming!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, what a cool report and very unique in terms of observing targets. As nominated you win the first VROD of 2023!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thanks, Michael! Certainly appreciate the recognition!!

I've been so impressed with my Lunar views of late, either with the Stellarvue or my Unitron's, that I have decided to experiment with Lunar AP this year! We'll see how that goes; to date I've been a diehard visual guy!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Great narrative Dave; I quite enjoyed that with my morning coffee :D I can't believe it's been 50 years already; hopefully the SLS changes that soon...

Good luck with the AP too. I enjoy AP of the Moon/Sun, and it's easy to get started. Looking forward to your results!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:56 pm Great narrative Dave; I quite enjoyed that with my morning coffee :D I can't believe it's been 50 years already; hopefully the SLS changes that soon...

Good luck with the AP too. I enjoy AP of the Moon/Sun, and it's easy to get started. Looking forward to your results!

All the best,
Thanks, Mark! Glad you enjoyed the read.

I find it difficult believing 50 years has passed. I was in my early 20s when the Apollo missions took place. I turn 75 in a couple months! Where does the time go?!

Dave
Last edited by Unitron48 on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellarvue SVX127D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice session Dave!
I love spending time on the Moon, congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Ylem wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:11 pm Very nice session Dave!
I love spending time on the Moon, congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Thanks, Jeff! When it comes to the Moon, if you can't beat'em, join'em!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A great session Dave!
I agree the lunar surface is great to view, so many amazing features.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:13 pm A great session Dave!
I agree the lunar surface is great to view, so many amazing features.
Thanks, Gabrielle! You are absolutely right about the number of features, and they present so differently depending on the phase.

And my fracs provide such incredible views!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

I agree that the Moon has more telescopic details on its square half degree than anywhere else in the universe, seen with an amateur-telescope. I quess the Apollo 17 landing-site will be your first AP target? More than 50 years a diehard visual observer with fracs... Chapeau!!
Great report, certainly worth the title of First VROD of 2023! Congratulations!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.