Author Biographies

This is our area for Vendors. If you are a vendor and wish to promote your products please feel free to do so.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post any new products, discounts, or special announcements!
Also you may post in the open forums to answer specific questions about your products. The only thing we ask is to not downgrade another vendors products.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Author Biographies

Post by Baurice »

When choosing a book, how important is this for you? A book reviewer once commented that they did not know much about me but, fortunately, liked the book.

I think many writers don't like writing bios. Few people, apart from writers, would find a writer's life interesting. Quite frankly, I do not consider myself an interesting person and think that few people would disagree with me. Writers spend a lot of their spare time, spewing words and photographs into a computer, instead of dancing the night away and getting drunk. The only thing that would make me interesting to anyone other than a writer is my astronomical pursuits. Many non-astronomers like my photos.

I once described myself as a boring person who sometimes does interesting things. I have been with the same wife for over 30 years, change cars every 8-10 years, on average, do not do, nor have ever done a high-profile job. I have very little social contact. I drink alcohol very rarely, have only smoked tobacco sporadically and never taken illegal drugs. I do not have lovers, nor a string of celebrity exes.

Now how can I turn this round to make myself sound interesting?
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Author Biographies

Post by Razz »

Baurice wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:31 pm

Now how can I turn this round to make myself sound interesting?
Easy, lie... :lol:
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Asimov used tongue in cheek humour in his, things like at 3 I realized I was born in Russia so stowed away in my parents luggage when they immigrated to america.
Or he would go on about how funny, charming and suave he was and it must be true because I wrote this and everyone knows I do not lie.

Put a spin however takes your fancy. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

How about this?

On March 19th 1955, the world was shaken by the birth of two of the most influential men of the modern era. One was Bruce Willis, who became a famous film star. The other was Philip Pugh, who didn’t.

Philip Pugh showed a lot of early promise, being a chess prodigy but did not translate that into being a great adult player. His last competitive game did result in his club team winning the county cup, a great end to an undistinguished career. Phil had an early interest in astronomy but interest in competitive chess, fishing and young ladies soon eclipsed that. It was fair to say that he had more luck with catching fish than young ladies and, unlike chess, his junior promise led to adult competition trophies and the capture of many newsworthy fish. It was through fishing that Phil’s writing career took off with a spoof about catching minnows appearing in “Angling” magazine in 1980. He further branched out into computer magazines and a rekindled interest in astronomy, after a visit to an observatory in Wellington, New Zealand, eventually led to magazine articles and, finally, books.

“Observing the Sun with Coronado Telescopes and Filters”, written with contributions from more distinguished astronomers became one of the best-selling astronomy books of its era. Further books followed but, rather like musical acts that have a hit record then fail to get another in the top 30, he has never scaled the dizzy heights since. As well as 12 astronomy books, Phil has also written two novels. One was never published and the other was a disastrous flop. It is considered, by many experts, that he is unlikely to try again.

Phil has always been an innovator, at heart, and made history by being the first person to catch fish using beefburgers as bait. He totally amazed the locals in Malaysia by using noodles as bait to catch more and bigger fish than they did. In astronomy, he pioneered the use of sunglasses before obtaining a moon filter to achieve the same result. Due to a lack of budget, he has had to try things like recording sunspots and planetary detail using a camera without a telescope. He has recently made great strides in meteor photography.

From rather mediocre beginnings as a software developer, he had later success in getting other peoples’ software to work on customer sites worldwide, then a mostly (but not always) successful time as a trainer. For the last few years, he has worked with technical documentation.

Phil is married with one adult daughter. His wife tried to sell him on e-Bay but couldn’t as he was past his sell-by date.

Phil was once voted the sexiest astronomer in the over 80s category. Unfortunately, he was 58 at the time.

11.27% of astronomers with depression admitted that they had read at least one of Phil’s books.

What reviewers have said about Phil’s books:

It is a shame that Phil chose astronomy as a hobby. Wrestling alligators would be more appropriate for him.

Phil’s novel makes great bedtime reading. Before I read half a page, I am asleep.

Phil’s instructional sections have helped me a lot. I followed his instructions to the letter. I tried the opposite and everything worked perfectly.

I have four of Phil’s books and they are very useful. If I park on a slope, I slip them under the wheels to prevent my car from rolling downhill.

I am in prison for life. My brother gave me one of Phil’s books for Christmas, so I shot him.

Phil’s astronomy photos look like they were shot 10 feet underwater, with a camera that came as a free gift with a box of soap powder.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Hmmm, from what I just read, it seems you have a HUGE ego...wait, my mistake, this wasn't about Bruce Willis...I'll be quiet now... :lol:
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Razz wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:46 am Hmmm, from what I just read, it seems you have a HUGE ego...wait, my mistake, this wasn't about Bruce Willis...I'll be quiet now... :lol:
Unfortunately, I have a big ego but it is also coupled with low self-esteem. Apparently, many entertainers suffer from that.

Most importantly, does it make someone who leads a quiet life sound a bit less boring?
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Baurice wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:02 am
Razz wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:46 am Hmmm, from what I just read, it seems you have a HUGE ego...wait, my mistake, this wasn't about Bruce Willis...I'll be quiet now... :lol:
Unfortunately, I have a big ego but it is also coupled with low self-esteem. Apparently, many entertainers suffer from that.

Most importantly, does it make someone who leads a quiet life sound a bit less boring?
Does what make it seem like someone who leads a quiet life less boring? Your post? What I got from that post was you have a great sense of humor. I have no reason to believe you are boring but I don't really know you. Bruce Willis has a huge ego and that's why I said what I said. It was a joke.

Bill
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Razz wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 am
Baurice wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:02 am

Does what make it seem like someone who leads a quiet life less boring? Your post? What I got from that post was you have a great sense of humor. I have no reason to believe you are boring but I don't really know you. Bruce Willis has a huge ego and that's why I said what I said. It was a joke.
I know you were referring to my "twin" but, yes, I have a big ego too but this is more than counterbalanced by low self esteem. It is also true that my written communication skills are far better than my spoken ones.

I see myself as a person who has had some successes, rather than a successful person.