EP Recommendation

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
dandva United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

EP Recommendation

Post by dandva »

I've been looking at the 5mm Agena Starguider Dual ED eyepiece ....right now i just have a 10mm & 25mm that came with the scope.....
I would like to hear any opinions on this Eyepiece...... I've read reviews on it and all were good......I'm on a budget and this looks like a good lense to start with..

Thanks for your help.......Dan
Celestron Starsense 130mm...f-5....650mm FL Reflector Newtonian Telescope :observer:
Celestron supplied EP's....10mm & 25mm
Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Moon Filter & Lumicon UHC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: EP Recommendation

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello dandva, I have not used these particular eyepieces but some seem to like them.
You can probably find some discussion of them here in the eyepiece forum :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Check out this link on Cloudy Nights: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8302 ... eyepieces/.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Earth Ambassador

Post by dandva »

Thank you for the info.....I've got a bit of reading to do..

Dan
Celestron Starsense 130mm...f-5....650mm FL Reflector Newtonian Telescope :observer:
Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you have any other questions just ask

I think @Bigzmey has used these before or at least one of the re-brands of them.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Frazman United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Frazman »

I had a set of the rebrands a few years ago. Decent for the price for a mid-tier EP, if I recall correctly.
Fractor Head, Bino Buff
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

I have the Astro-Tech Paradigm ED eyepieces that are the same thing, just a different name. I have them in 5, 12, and 25 mm. They are my favorite eyepieces in my collection and work well all the way to the field edges in my fast refractors, f/4.5 to f/7.

I’ve only recently noticed one negative. When viewing bright planets like Mars and Jupiter at high powers, there is some chromatic aberration visible as red on one side of the planet and blue on the other side. I would blame the telescope but the CA is not visible at all when using a similar focal length, el cheapo Celestron Plössl. I still find it hard to beat my Plössls for the sharpest planetary views at maximum power, even though they are not the most comfortable.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Looking at what available in that price range I would definitely recommend Dual EDs as step up from stock EPs which typically come with scopes. They are good all around EPs, but not perfect.

I would highlight a couple of weak spots. The effective eye relief is tight, so if you observe with glasses on you will not be able to see the whole FOV. Also, they are not top performers on planets due to lightscatter.

Still in that price range it will be hard to find better alternative unless you are willing to buy used. Then my recommendation would be Celestron X-Cel LX or Meade HD60.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Earth Ambassador

Post by dandva »

Thank you for the comments and recommendations.......

Dan
Celestron Omni 2x Barlow