Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Perseus and Retinue

Post by Baurice »

It had taken over a day to process this image using DeepSky Stacker, GraXpert and GIMP. It shows the constellation of Perseus, with the Seven Sisters (a.k.a Pleiades, M45) to the south and Aries and Triangulum to the east.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Perseus and Retinue

Post by Makuser »

Hi Philip. A very nice image of the constellations. Excellent contrast and nice star shapes in your capture. Thanks for sharing another fine work with us on here Philip and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Perseus and Retinue

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Phillip,
Sometimes, passing a set of images from one app to another to another can result in poor or over processing. You didn't give much info about capture or sky conditions so take my comments with a grain of salt. Perhaps you are shooting in very LP skies and have had to lean hard on the processing to suppress the LP?

Specifically:
1. I think you have clipped the bottom end of the histogram (the shadows) much too hard. Even in my nice Bortle 1/2 skies, the sky doesn't look that black. When I "get info" on a dark area with no stars, I look to get a reading of 15-30 levels all similar in RGB.

2. All of the brighter stars are clipped or the wells saturated so that all the brighter stars look similar brightness. Bright stars in this shot have no colour.

regards
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)