Explore Scientific pop up observatory

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Explore Scientific pop up observatory

Post by Razz »

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these?

[https://explorescientificusa.com/produc ... atory-tent][/url]
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Explore Scientific pop up observatory

Post by Lady Fraktor »

We discussed it before when it was first released, consensus was that it seemed a bit flimsy for the intended purpose.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Saying it will protect against rain and wind is a bit much given that it is just a tent. I don't know about you but when I've been camping with my tent the rainfly seldom works perfectly and it is hard to stay dry. Wind similarly can level a tent. I recall camping in Joshua Tree National Park in California and having high winds start in the middle of the night, leveling the tent. Had to retreat to the SUV to get some sleep. It might work as a light pollution shield, buy maybe just in summer or when the air is particularly steady.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

In second instance I see some positives. The tent has guy lines to make sure that the walls don't collapse. I too have camped in the CA desert with wind blowing so hard that the walls came down on my face. No one would attempt AP in such winds but in moderate wind this observatory tent should protect against the wind.

The walls seem a bit low to keep light out but for a small scope with the tripod legs collapsed it might be enough. If it keeps dew out when not in use, that is worth something too - otherwise you would have to drape it with towels or lock it in the car.

About rain, I commuter-camped a lot and, in my experience, moisture usually slides down the walls and collects at the bottom. In a downpour that might be different but with light rain it might be OK.

About storage, I don't know if this is easier than simply putting the OTA back in the car and wrapping a telegizmo of tarp around the mount. The space is a bit small to hop around, especially when doing polar alignment where you have to manipulate the knobs.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There are different kinds available, just search for astonomy tents.

This one looks quite a bit stronger than the ES version: https://astronomicalsolutions.com/shop/ ... tory-tent/
By the way 40.000 Omani is € 98.68
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for the replies. My reason for looking at this is I mainly want something for home use. A warm room in the winter and mosquito protection in the summer... :lol: ...The only other place I would use it, at this point anyway, is at my buddy's place where I camp out at during the summer. I just want something that I can set up quick if it looks like it'll be a good night and then tear down the next morning. If it should start to rain while I'm out there, I'll do like I always do...pack up as quick as I can while using very colorful language. I do have Telegizmo covers, the cheap ones not the 365, so I'm not too worried about the scopes being outside for a night. I often wake up at 2 or 3 AM and sometimes I like to go out and observe. It's nice to have the gear already set up.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Found this for you , hope it helps.

https://astrogeartoday.com/observing-on ... tory-tent/
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 am Found this for you , hope it helps.

https://astrogeartoday.com/observing-on ... tory-tent/
Thank you Jean-Yves.

Bill
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

astro tent.jpg

I believe the owner added Velcro strips or heavy duty zippers so he could seal the flap up. Looks decent for a $40 experiment. I'd probably cut out a section of floor so I could pick the tent up and rotate it to the direction I wanted to observe.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Looking again there are just too many compromises. If I had to cobble something together, I would choose an 8' tall wind screen with an 8' diameter (about $50) then either add DIY fiberglass poles and guy lines or a DIY PVC frame and make a detachable DIY roof from a tarp and fiberglass poles. At 8' tall there is shielding from wind and light. My G11 with a moderate scope like a Mak-Newt is already 7' tall with the legs collapsed. Tents generally don't offer enough height, and they have fiberglass pole roofs, so DIY modifications are always obstructed. Moving the tent around to follow the scope seems like putting the cart before the horse.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

When I was mainly battling city lights I purchased a pavilion like venders set up for farmers markets and county fairs. I then attached tarps to the side walls, but left the top open. It took a little while to set up but it did cut down on light pollution, created a bit of a wind break, and even allowed me room to set up a small folding table and chair. I was also able to use it with my 10" dob and my 80mm refractor. I used inexpensive clamps for the tarps, which let me quickly readjust them as needed.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking for something to block the wind or light. To my south and east I have trees lining my property that block any light from houses. To the north, across the road, are more trees. The only neighbor I have is to my west and they have no outside lights, just the lights from inside the house, and honestly the place I do most of my viewing is on the east side of my house so that light is blocked by my house. As far as wind goes, I don't set up anymore if it's windy. I'm mostly looking for somewhere for me to go. Like I said, a warm room in the cold and a haven from mosquitos in the warmer times.

Bill
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Razz wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:21 am a haven from mosquitos in the warmer times.
Ok, this is a little out there, but I have a bug net that's made to be used over a single sleeping bag / cot. Rectangular box shape, two rings sewn in on top to tie to a tree or whatever. Cut a hole in the net large enough for your scope to poke out and drape the thing over you like a ghillie suit. Won't keep you warm, but would give lots of ventilation in summer. Actually, since I don't use it for camping, I might just try that next summer. :think:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Razz wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:21 am Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking for something to block the wind or light. To my south and east I have trees lining my property that block any light from houses. To the north, across the road, are more trees. The only neighbor I have is to my west and they have no outside lights, just the lights from inside the house, and honestly the place I do most of my viewing is on the east side of my house so that light is blocked by my house. As far as wind goes, I don't set up anymore if it's windy. I'm mostly looking for somewhere for me to go. Like I said, a warm room in the cold and a haven from mosquitos in the warmer times.
I don't think this will work for you, but I eventually replaced my pavilion with a small 8'x12' garden shed. I added a small space heater and battery powered lights to that shed. I also put in a small single bed some storage shelves, etc. Presto! A little warm room. It is on skids and can be removed someday if necessary.
Rob
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:57 pm
Razz wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:21 am Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking for something to block the wind or light. To my south and east I have trees lining my property that block any light from houses. To the north, across the road, are more trees. The only neighbor I have is to my west and they have no outside lights, just the lights from inside the house, and honestly the place I do most of my viewing is on the east side of my house so that light is blocked by my house. As far as wind goes, I don't set up anymore if it's windy. I'm mostly looking for somewhere for me to go. Like I said, a warm room in the cold and a haven from mosquitos in the warmer times.
I don't think this will work for you, but I eventually replaced my pavilion with a small 8'x12' garden shed. I added a small space heater and battery powered lights to that shed. I also put in a small single bed some storage shelves, etc. Presto! A little warm room. It is on skids and can be removed someday if necessary.
That sounds very cool! It's a bit of overkill for my needs but I could build something smaller, tho...I just need a place for a chair, a small table, my beer cooler, and a spot for a small heater or fan depending on the season. I'm thinking maybe a 5'x5' will do. That will have to wait until next spring but in the meantime I can lay out a mock up of the floor and see how much room I'll really need. Problem is, I'll have all this time until spring to modify what I want. By the time I'm done it would be cheaper and easier to just put a dome in my roof over one of my spare rooms and use that. It'll also help with the trees in the way... :D ... Don't laugh, I'm single these days and can do it if I want! :lol: Hmmm, time to do some finagling of the finances...

Bill
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I'll suggest slightly larger that 5'x5' for three reasons 1) Plywood comes in 4'x8' sheets. You aren't going to save much money by going slightly larger. 2) I really like having a place to lay down. I can get everything ready for the night, especially on cold nights, and then read or take a nap for an hour or so. 3) I ended up storing a bunch of stuff in there.
Rob
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

jrkirkham wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:45 pm I'll suggest slightly larger that 5'x5' for three reasons 1) Plywood comes in 4'x8' sheets. You aren't going to save much money by going slightly larger. 2) I really like having a place to lay down. I can get everything ready for the night, especially on cold nights, and then read or take a nap for an hour or so. 3) I ended up storing a bunch of stuff in there.
Thanks for that but it's still overkill for me. 1) I do 5'x5'...I take 4 sheets of plywood, cut them to 5' and I have 3'x4' sections left over. Now, I'm only 5' 5" and just want a place to sit so 5' high would suffice but let's go for 6' so I can stand. So, I cut the remaining pieces to 2' each. Actually it would be 2' on one side and about an inch shorter on the other for a slope so water can run off. Now I have 4 pieces that are 1' each. I take 2 of those 1'x4' pieces and cut them in half, 1'x2', to finish the walls. The 2 remaining pieces are more than enough for shelves for me. And, admittedly. that is not factoring in the roof itself . 2) I have a small yard, if I want to lay down after setting up I'll just walk the 100' back to my house. I'm not worried about my dark adaptation because I keep my house dark anyway and I can use my red flashlight to find my way around. 3) I don't store anything outside except my car, lawn mower and snowblower. I don't trust people as a rule so I won't need that feature either.

Bill
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

It looks like you have a good plan that will meet your needs. If you go ahead with it in the spring keep us updated. It is aways fun and educational to see how other people lay out their viewing areas. Several times I have found new ideas on here that also worked for me. You have one big advantage that I do not. My dark sky spot is three miles from my house.
Rob
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

jrkirkham wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:35 pm It looks like you have a good plan that will meet your needs. If you go ahead with it in the spring keep us updated. It is aways fun and educational to see how other people lay out their viewing areas. Several times I have found new ideas on here that also worked for me. You have one big advantage that I do not. My dark sky spot is three miles from my house.
Ok, now I understand your 8'x12' shed. If my dark sight was 3 miles away, I'd want that bed as well as the storage space. Honestly, it was you mentioning that shed that got me thinking about building something here.

Bill