Discuss Astrophysics.
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: In memory of nFA

Post by ThinkerX »

Drat.

So, this is why Fritz hadn't been posting lately,

I knew Fritz from a prior forum. When it started to fall apart, he moved here and invited me to follow him.

I liked the way he addressed the ignorant and sometimes ridiculous questions I'd post.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

It is with great sadness that I noted his passing. His knowledge and humor on this and the previous forum are legendary. We will remember him and miss him. Have a good journey to the stars my friend.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Like everyone here I am greatly saddened to hear this. I will miss his posts and comments and always looked to see what he had to say or share. My day is certainly less bright ths morning.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

This is very sad. notFritzArgelander's posts, discussions, explanations, and ideas are the epitome of what drew me to the TSS site.
It is up to the rest of us to live up to his example, and make worthy contributions remembering the standard he set.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I am very greatly saddened to hear of not Fritz Argelander's passing. I am sure he was not expecting it as we had all heard of his recent new equipment acquisitions and plans to move near to his daughter and grandchildren.

I was working on an Einstein/relativity quiz for the forum and asked his help. Typical of his generosity, an email came back to me within hours pointing out, in generous detail, numerous errors or ambiguities in a number of the questions I had compiled. I now realise he provided that feedback to me just a week or so, before he passed away.

Rest in peace

Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I am saddened to hear of nFA passing away. He was one of the true lights of this forum and af.net. Over the years he has been encouraging and kind to those of us who needed it, and ruthlessly witty in dealing with those who continually spouted their unfounded view of the world of astrophysics. I recall several time receiving thanks from him during my stint as a moderator when I would lock some of the more outlandish exchanges down before they went completely off the rails. RIP, my mentor!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

I've just found this thread and am deeply saddened to hear of this news. He most certainly was an expert in the field of physics and astrophysics but could hold his ground in any conversation, such was his knowledge. He has been a source of inspiration for many and to some degree feared by some. His posts were always educational, well-written and at times extremely humorous. In his passing, he has left a black hole that will be difficult to fill. RIP nFA.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
chasmanian United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by chasmanian »

thank you nFA.
thank you for your kindness, wisdom, compassion and generosity.
I wish for you now, that you are in a good place, and are supremely happy, joyful and peaceful.
thank you for all the fun and joy you gave and brought to me and so many others for so many years.
I wish comfort for your family, all of us who loved you and miss you.
and I hope someday, when its my turn to leave here, (I have a friend who calls it "graduating"), that I meet up with you again.
bless you, you were such a good man.
good bye for now, dear friend. :)
Charlie
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I'm sorry to read this post.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Say what??? I'm... stunned...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

For anyone wondering how big his contribution was..........
nFA like many of us came over to TSS in May 2019 following the collapse of Astronomy Forum. So quite a few of us have been members for the full lifetime of this forum and knew him in the other forum.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.29.48 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.29.28 am.png
His 14999 posts represent 7% of all posts made to the entire TSS forum since the inception 3.5 years ago and 10x my meagre contribution. 8830 of those posts in this Astrophysics forum. And he's been thanked 18300 times.
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.30.03 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.30.03 am.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.30.15 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.30.15 am.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

I am saddened to hear this news and I shall miss nFA. He was always willing to take the time to explain all that he knew, and he knew so very very much. We are all better people for having read his words here. May his soul be bound up in the bond of eternal life.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

RIP notFritzArgelander.

Your knowledge on this forum was unparalleled.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
MartinF Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MartinF »

I can only agree with all of you, this is indeed sad news. I remember him as one of those users that are a source of vast knowledge on things I can´t even beging to understand. Rest in peace nFA.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FotografMartinF
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

oh no, i always read his post ,such a good contributor to the forum , we are here for a very short time he will be missed :(
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

SydneySpaceFan Australia
Earth Ambassador

Post by SydneySpaceFan »

Very sad news indeed.

I am an infrequent, amateur but inquisitive visitor to TSS and greatly appreciated the prolific and insightful contributions from nFA and the time he took to explain complex concepts to me.

He will be greatly missed.

I would love to know more about this mysterious contributor and mentor. I can only imagine he was extremely experienced and made significant contributions to this field in 'real life'.

May he rest in peace and discover all the answers to his quest in the stars.
"To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die" Carl Sagan
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

I, too, will miss nFA's various AstroPhysics posts. I enjoyed reading them, often digging in to the source article or paper just enough to (try to) poke holes or ask questions. And almost always, nFA would respond with additional details or point to where I jumped tracks.
Here's hoping his next Adventure tweaks his interests and passions...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

A sad day for us all, from star dust to star dust - farewell.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

billykkutter United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by billykkutter »

Not Fritz was a very secretive fellow. He helped me many times with questions before this site came along.
I did know he was not well, but I shall miss him.
KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

I had a few interactions with nFA over the years, both here and on AF.net

His knowledge of astrophysics was phenomenal and he was usually very friendly and helpful, other times not so much.

He has taken his place among the stars and I bid him farewell, RIP.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!