StarTools 1.5 is out!

This is our area for Vendors. If you are a vendor and wish to promote your products please feel free to do so.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post any new products, discounts, or special announcements!
Also you may post in the open forums to answer specific questions about your products. The only thing we ask is to not downgrade another vendors products.
startoolsastro
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

StarTools 1.5 is out!

Post by startoolsastro »

Hi all,

After a long, long period of R&D and subsequent beta testing, I am proud to announce the next big version of StarTools!
It finally brings together everything researched and developed over a period of 4 years, only some of which could be glimpsed in the 1.4.x development versions.

What's new

1.5 is a massive release, jam-packed with enhancements, features and exciting signal-processing innovations;
  • Create and process complex composites as if they were simple DSLR datasets. The new Compose mode processes luminance (detail) and color separately in parallel. In a world first, processing LRGB, LLRGB, LSHO and more in one go without combining later is now possible and yields cleaner results to boot due to cross-dataset signal consultation. Video of LLRGB example here and video of LSHO example of the iconic Hubble Pillars of Creation here.
  • Multiple years of work have gone into improving the signal evolution Tracking engine performance across all modules. Noise mitigation and signal fidelity preservation is more effective than ever before,
  • New presets and a brand a new module (video here) are now available for quick and intuitive manipulation of narrowband datasets.
  • Many other quality-of-life improvements are included, such as pre/post-tweak buttons, hot keys, UI overhaul, optimizations, new docs and videos, STREPLAY support and much, much more. See CHANGELOG file in the download for details.
The trial is still free as always and downloadable now. Any StarTools license ever issued will work with 1.5 and make it fully functional. As a courtesy, this is true even if your license has expired (though if you like what you see, please consider supporting us by renewing your license).

Many thanks to the beta testers and those sending me datasets here on TSS and elsewhere. I couldn't have done this without you! :D
Ivo Jager - creator of StarTools
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: StarTools 1.5 is out!

Post by bobharmony »

Great news, Ivo. I have done a little testing with the pre-release versions, and have to say that the new features are fantastic. I noticed the pre- and post- tweak buttons while messing with something else, and just love them.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to continued improvement of an already fine product!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Ivo. Can I update from my earlier license version? Or do I need to do a new download and install?
Thank you again.
Last edited by Don Quixote on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Great news Ivo!

Congratulations on the update. Looking forward to giving it a good test once I get moved and my "'processing" computer back up and running!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Ivo!

Can’t wait to give it a try.

No clearing anytime soon. Maybe try with some old data.

Downloaded and ready to go!

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
startoolsastro
Moon Ambassador

Post by startoolsastro »

Don Quixote wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:27 pm Thank you Ivo. Can I update from my earlier license version? Or do I need to do a new download and install?
Thank you again.
You download the new version from the download section, unzip it to a location of your choice (has to have read/write permissions), copy your license file into the 'distro' folder and you're good to go!
Any trouble let me know,
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Woo hoo! What a nice surprise! Thanks, Ivo! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Thank you, Ivo.
I'll be checking the video out!
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Ivo!

Looking forward to playing with it!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
startoolsastro
Moon Ambassador

Post by startoolsastro »

Hi all,

A 1.5 Maintenance Release has been uploaded with some important fixes. Updating is recommended.

A 1.6 alpha version is also available which implements a number of new features, improvements and a completely rewritten signal-aware multiscale (wavelet) sharpening module. See CHANGELOG file for details.

1.5.369MR1 Maintenance Release
  • Fixed memory leak in Wipe module
  • Fixed bug where small screens would not show Rotate functionality in main screen
  • Fixed bug in handling edge cases in Decon where Decon would generate pixel artifacts
  • Improved Decon deringing of small stars
  • Small improvement in overall handling of Tracking fidelity
  • MaxRGB mode now shows linear color dominance in "before" mode
  • Fixed memory overflow bug in Shrink module
Clear skies!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I’ve been using version 1.6 alpha for processing the past few images. Does 1.6 alpha incorporate the fixes as the 1.5.369MR1 Maintenance Release?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
startoolsastro
Moon Ambassador

Post by startoolsastro »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 am Does 1.6 alpha incorporate the fixes as the 1.5.369MR1 Maintenance Release?
The latest 1.6.380 alpha does indeed Jim. If you are using an older version, you may want to update, Cheers!