Pixinsight's New Spectrophotometric Color Calibration Process

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Pixinsight's New Spectrophotometric Color Calibration Process

Post by Juno16 »

Hi AP’ers,

Just curious is anyone here has tried the new Pixinsight SpectrophotometricColorCalibration process and what are your thoughts?

I saw SPCC on the latest release (1.8.9-1 Ripley x64).

Pixinsight announcement:
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... pcc.19599/

Pixinsight Reference Documentation:
https://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/SPCC/SPCC.html

The new SPCC process is based on the latest Gaia Data Release 3 (Gaia DR3), released on June 13, 2022.

According to Juan Conejero, Pixinsight Principal Developer, “This is the first massive, accurate spectrophotometric catalog in the history of astronomy, with unprecedented homogeneity and consistency thanks to the fact that it is based on measurements made from space, without the varying conditions of the atmosphere”.
“SPCC can outperform PCC (the PhotometricColorCalibration tool) by a 400% increase in precision“.

There are two different downloadable versions of the Gaja Data Release 3. A “small” version (not sure, but possibly 15-20 GB) and the full version (60GB).

I downloaded the full Gaja Data Release 3 version. I am currently storing the full version on a conventional (mechanical) internal 4TB drive and run Pixinsight from my 512GB nvme boot drive) and the process runs reasonably fast.
Luckily, I have a decent amount of storage on my pc at 8.5TB right now. My new 2 TB nvme boot drive (early Christmas present) is sitting on my table and it will bring me up to 10.5TB of total internal system storage.

The new SPCC process requires an astrometric solution. Otherwise, when you run the new process, you must run the ImageSolver script first, or the SPCC process will fail. Even though the fits header contains the RA and DEC values, the SPCC process requires an astrometric solution to function.

I noticed Astrometric Solution as a “default on” option in WBPP in the previous release. I had turned it off because of the time it takes and I didn’t think that I needed it.
@STEVE333 – You might have known what WBPP used Astrometric Solution for, but I had no idea. Seems like the PI crew must have inserted Astrometric Solution into the previous version of WBPP in readiness for the SPCC process to be released in PI version 1.8.9-1.

I have used SPCC a couple of times recently including my recent re-process of M1 posted a few days ago. Even though I get good color calibration results by just dragging the default ColorCalibration instance onto the image, I will use SPCC as my goto color calibration tool.

Here is what the finished process looks like.

Capture.PNG

Please share any experience and feelings that you have concerning the new Pixinsight SPCC process!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pixinsight's New Spectrophotometric Color Calibration Process

Post by Gmetric »

Very interesting, Jim. I downloaded it and installed it in PI recently but have not had a chance to use it. I think it's the closest thing yet to realistic and true-to-life colour calibrations. I love the idea of it and can't wait to give it a shot. Certainly takes out the guesswork! Thus far, whenever I have used WBPP it fails when running through astrometric solutions so I'll have to figure that out first, I guess.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Gmetric wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:31 pm Very interesting, Jim. I downloaded it and installed it in PI recently but have not had a chance to use it. I think it's the closest thing yet to realistic and true-to-life colour calibrations. I love the idea of it and can't wait to give it a shot. Certainly takes out the guesswork! Thus far, whenever I have used WBPP it fails when running through astrometric solutions so I'll have to figure that out first, I guess.

Astrometric Solution in WBPP has failed for me too sometimes, and sometimes not. No biggie though. You can crop (if needed) and run Background Neutralization on the Masterlight, then run the ImageSolver script (Script, Image Analysis, ImageSolver). Click the Search button and enter the name of the target (M31, NGC 281, etc), choose the target name and drag and drop the New Instance (right triangle in the lower left corner) on the image. After that, just run the SPCC process. I recommend watching a video on YouTube and also reading the links in my original message. It seems as filter choice is very important!
Good luck G!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks Jim for being the "tip of the spear" on testing out so many of these new processes and then sharing with us.

I hadn't been checking the "Astrometric Solution" box, but, only because I didn't think it was needed and it never complained.

Good luck with the new color calibration process.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:00 am Thanks Jim for being the "tip of the spear" on testing out so many of these new processes and then sharing with us.

I hadn't been checking the "Astrometric Solution" box, but, only because I didn't think it was needed and it never complained.

Good luck with the new color calibration process.

Steve

I usually install the latest updates soon after I receive the announcement email. BUT, after recently getting burned by a WBPP Local Normalization update (long story), I ALWAYS very carefully read the update announcement before updating PI.

The new SpectrophotometricColorCalibration process just sounded too intriguing to not try out!

I used it in a recent repro and really liked the results.
viewtopic.php?p=225690#p225690

Also, now I realized why Astrometric Solution was added to WBPP!

Thanks Steve!
Jim