Happy Birthday topics

If you find a problem or you just want to tell us how great this forum is, post it here!!!
(We do listen!)
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

Happy Birthday topics

Post by smp »

I saw recently that efforts will be made to cut down on server storage by having some of the ongoing topics in the Off-Topic Forum removed after their year is over. I have another suggestion:

I see the Happy Birthday topic posted today: viewtopic.php?t=28295

I have responded to that topic, as I try to do to all the Happy Birthdays that come up. However, today I checked the member after I posted. This member has a total of 11 posts here (not a problem by itself) but was last active here in July 2019. Perhaps, rather than automatically posting a Happy Birthday topic for a member, their last activity date should be checked, and if they haven't been into the forum for a couple of years, maybe skip that member? It would only save a small number of posts, but then again, if a significant fraction of the folks we wish Happy Birthday to have not actually been here for some years, there may be some storage savings to be had?

Just a thought. Please do not read anything negative into it.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Happy Birthday topics

Post by Gordon »

smp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 pm I saw recently that efforts will be made to cut down on server storage by having some of the ongoing topics in the Off-Topic Forum removed after their year is over. I have another suggestion:

I see the Happy Birthday topic posted today: viewtopic.php?t=28295

I have responded to that topic, as I try to do to all the Happy Birthdays that come up. However, today I checked the member after I posted. This member has a total of 11 posts here (not a problem by itself) but was last active here in July 2019. Perhaps, rather than automatically posting a Happy Birthday topic for a member, their last activity date should be checked, and if they haven't been into the forum for a couple of years, maybe skip that member? It would only save a small number of posts, but then again, if a significant fraction of the folks we wish Happy Birthday to have not actually been here for some years, there may be some storage savings to be had?

Just a thought. Please do not read anything negative into it.

smp
Appreciate the input. We kinda leave it up to the person posting the Birthday wishes. She has been doing a great job and makes sure to catch as many as she has time to do. Hopefully at some point they will return and see we haven't forgotten them!

The purging is just an automatic way to remove "non-relevent" topics such as birthday wishes.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Happy Birthday topics

Post by Makuser »

Hi Gordon and all. Actually, there are three of us active in preparing the monthly Birthday party list. This would be helicon (Michael), Butterfly Maiden (Vanessa), and myself. And previously, this also included bladekeeper (Bryan) and KingClinton (Clinton) before they have now become somewhat dormant. Micheal and I have written records that go back several years (even to the AF.net forum), so we do not rely on just the current monthly portal window list. Also purging the thread topic to just the last year is not a problem for us. And we are aware of a few members who have not been active for awhile, but occasionally they do return on their Birthday to say hello and thanks for the Birthday party, and by doing this we do not overlook anybody. We work hard on this monthly list and also catch an "In Memorium" that we can post or also catch a member who has since been banned from the forum. This is a lot of work for us and Vanessa has done a superlative job in supporting this kindly effort for us on the TSS forum. She has even been updating an Excel spreadsheet to include brand new members to keep it up to date. We have just completed the December Birthday list this last Monday and feel confident that we have it under control. Thanks Gordon and the best of regards to all.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>