New insulation- jacket for 140 mm Maksutov

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New insulation- jacket for 140 mm Maksutov

Post by John Baars »

Well, if you're still busy sticking radiator foil behind the radiators of the heating, you might as well replace the old insulation jacket of the OMC140 (UK, from 2000) in one effort. So fresh foil on it.

The old foil had been there for almost 20 years. And there were also a few holes and loose patches, due to varying insights into what accessories had to be put on the telescope over the years. The dew shield was made of double black display cardboard, with a newspaper in between. A good moisturizer. In the years that I used the telescope intensely, there was only one condensation, which was dealt with quickly with a hair dryer.

I cut the dew shield open to size and the newspaper of July 7, 2001 reappeared. It turned out to be a science supplement, so carefully selected at the time. :)

The new insulation jacket for the telescope willingly folded around the tube and I attached the ends together with one long and wide piece of clear tape. If I wanted it off, it would not be a big problem. The old foil had been stuck with it for almost twenty years, so I have never shown a strong urge to remove it again.

I made the new dew shield from the same material, with protostar adhesive flocking material on the inside. The foil cannot be bent very nicely if the carrier underneath (adhesive flocking material) is so flexible, which is why you see some corners at the end. The stars don't mind. :lol:

Everything works as usual. Seeing that is created in the tube itself by turbulent air as a result of strong cooling remains reasonably calm. It stays relatively warm in the tube and cooling is very slow and not turbulent. Even with the intense seeing last night, at a magnification of 200+, I could see the thin diffraction ring around Airy's disc. Although it moved rapidly and kept falling apart, it was much better than without insulation. Without insulation a diffraction ring is almost impossible to find at all. With or without insulation: It's about two points difference on the Pickering scale. See the difference here between rating 4 and 6 : http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm
The performance of an OMC140 is roughly equivalent to a good 10cm ED refractor, albeit with some minor differences. It depends a bit on the taste of the observer which of the two is preferred. Read more on that in the conclusions here: viewtopic.php?t=6650

Attached is a photo
OMC en nieuwe dauwkap nov 2022.(2)jpg.jpg
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Re: New insulation- jacket for 140 mm Maksutov

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice John, hopefully this version will last you another 20 years as well!
The last aluminium dewshield I made was slightly oval and the stars did not seem to mind that either. :D
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:48 pm Very nice John, hopefully this version will last you another 20 years as well!
The last aluminium dewshield I made was slightly oval and the stars did not seem to mind that either. :D
Thank you for your kind words :dance:
Stars do not care about the looks of a telescope,....only many humans do. :lol:
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Nice job John !
More clear skies to you. 🙂
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nicely done John! I have made insulation foil jackets and dew shields for all my CATs. Good to hear that my efforts will last for 20 years. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

what ? don't you look at the stars in a tuxedo?
seriously if it works why not.
you can spend more time looking at the stars.
good thing.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: