Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rain sensor

Post by KathyNS »

SparWeb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:44 pm Hi Kathy,
I read this one originally, but never thought of following up on last winter's experience with the sensor until stumbling across this thread again.
How well did the Hydreon work in winter?
I am pretty happy with the "light rain" setting on the Hydreon. It seems quite sensitive, at least on spit tests. I haven't been there to test it in actual light rain. I don't get nuisance dew detections any more. I actually rigged the detection circuits up so that I can switch to the wet leaf (hyper-sensitive) detector if I want to, but so far I have had no reason to use it.

I had no problems in winter. When it said it was wet, it was, and when it said it was dry, it was.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rain sensor

Post by SparWeb »

Thanks for confirming. I expected things like snow and hoarfrost would confuse it, but then again, those are conditions where you want to button up the scope, too, aren't they?
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount