My Computer Died

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My Computer Died

Post by Kerry C. »

Well…dang! My imaging and processing laptop computer went bonkers on me today. Figures, just when we have some descent imaging nights ahead.
I have been having some issues with it as of late.
Now to figure out what to replace it with. The biggest thing I am going to dread is starting from scratch setting up “every” program again and all that that entails. I have had things running extremely good too.
I am hoping that a computer repair geek can somehow transfer everything to the new one.
Suggestions on laptop computers you are happy with?
Thanks, Kerry
Attachments
06AE2993-93CD-45A4-BBC8-7FA98C8556D6.jpeg

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My Computer Died

Post by JayTee »

A refurbished Dell Latitude. i5 or even i7 for less than $300

https://discountelectronics.com/latitud ... windows-10
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I was going to say the same thing JT said until I realized that it is your processing laptop too. You use Pixinsight, right? You might need more horsepower!
Does your laptop show that mess when you first start it?
Or, does it start to load Windows, then go bonkers?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 am I was going to say the same thing JT said until I realized that it is your processing laptop too. You use Pixinsight, right? You might need more horsepower!
Yes, I have been using one computer for both imaging and processing. However, now that this has happened I was thinking about getting two, one for imaging and another for processing.
It starts up that way when turned on.
I’m pretty sure it’s a ribbon problem for the screen. I have been having hinge problems the last couple of months and it has acted a little off during that time. I’ll see if I can get ahold of another monitor and plug into the HDMI on the side of the computer…see if the problem follows or goes away.
Whatever happens, it’s time for an upgrade with lots and lots of computing power to help PixInsight move faster. 😁
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

JayTee wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:27 am A refurbished Dell Latitude. i5 or even i7 for less than $300

https://discountelectronics.com/latitud ... windows-10
Thanks JayTee, I will look into that.
Kerry

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kerry C. wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 am
Juno16 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 am I was going to say the same thing JT said until I realized that it is your processing laptop too. You use Pixinsight, right? You might need more horsepower!
Yes, I have been using one computer for both imaging and processing. However, now that this has happened I was thinking about getting two, one for imaging and another for processing.
It starts up that way when turned on.
I’m pretty sure it’s a ribbon problem for the screen. I have been having hinge problems the last couple of months and it has acted a little off during that time. I’ll see if I can get ahold of another monitor and plug into the HDMI on the side of the computer…see if the problem follows or goes away.
Whatever happens, it’s time for an upgrade with lots and lots of computing power to help PixInsight move faster. 😁
Kerry

Definitely a good idea to try the hdmi to another monitor. Or, you can try it with a tv. If it works, you can always replace the monitor ribbon cable. I have done a few and they are a pain in the butt, but well worth it to have an operating laptop especially if the ribbon cable is the only issue.

If it turns out to be the laptop display, do you have a desktop pc, ipad, or phone? If you do and use Teamviewer, Anydesk, Remote Desktop, or any other remote control application, you could always use the pc for imaging by getting it started up on a tv or pc monitor (until you replace the cable of course) and start the application and remote session. Bring the laptop to your obsy and set it up while leaving it powered up. Then take over control on your desktop, ipad, or phone. This would work until you get the ribbon cable replaced. When it is repaired, you can use the laptop exclusively for imaging and go ahead and buy a new laptop (or desktop) for processing when you are ready. Then, you won't have to leave your new expensive laptop outside all night.

My Dell Latitude is about 10 years old and does a fine job at running the imaging session. I bought it about 4 years ago on Amazon for <300. I process with PI on my desktop. You can put together a nicely powerful desktop that easily handles PI for a lot less $$ than a laptop.

When my Latitude finally goes down, I plan to replace it with a small on-scope pc since I always run the session from indoors anyway. But until now, the Dell works fine.

Another thing. I am sure that you use something like N.I.N.A. and PHD2 for imaging. If the laptop fires up on another monitor or tv, be sure to save any profiles from these applications on a usb stick so that you can install them on a new laptop (if you decide to go that way). It will make getting started so much easier. I am sure that PI also has files that you can save to install on a new pc installation to restore your settings and scripts. I would post a note to the PI forum if you are interested in doing that.

Let me know how it goes!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Well, good news for the most part. Turns out it is the ribbon to the screen that is the culprit. By connecting to another monitor everything is is back to normal…whoohoo!
So for a temporary fix I’ll get a get a monitor and use it that way.
I’ll will eventually get a new laptop (with lots and lots of computing power)😁 to speed things up for processing. I will do some research on that matter next.
Thanks everyone for all the help…much appreciated.
Kerry