Leonids - Just another meteor shower!

Let's see your reports!
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Leonids - Just another meteor shower!

Post by Unitron48 »

Our Culpeper threesome gathered at Morning Calm Observatory last night, early this morning to observe the peak of the Leonid Meteor Shower.

"The Leonids, which peak during mid-November each year, are considered to be a major shower though meteor rates are often as low as about 15 meteors per hour. The Leonids are bright meteors and can also be colorful. They are also fast: Leonids travel at speeds of 44 miles (71 kilometers) per second, and they are considered to be some of the fastest meteors.The pieces of space debris that interact with our atmosphere to create the Leonids originate from comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle. It takes comet Tempel-Tuttle 33 years to orbit the sun once."

This was our fifth meteor shower of the year...counting Lyrids, Tau Herculids, Perseids, and Orionids. Our session started before midnight and concluded about 0530 this morning. Our meteor count of 48 included at least half sporadics, and compared to the 43 we observed in 2020 (our last opportunity to observe the Leonids). Several were very bright and colorful. Lots were very fast moving!

The temperature was hovering in the mid 20's for most of the night, but our usual coffee and cookie breaks mitigated the freezing cold. All in all another great evening under cold, crisp skies!

Dave

Note Geminids up next. Last year we had a real storm...counting 358 meteors!
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Leonids - Just another meteor shower!

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the successful session Dave! All nighter with temperatures in 20s, you are an inspiration to us all!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice outing Dave and glad you were able to pick up some meteors. That is a long session in the cold for sure. Was there any additive in the coffee? :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 pm Congrats on the successful session Dave! All nighter with temperatures in 20s, you are an inspiration to us all!
Thanks, Andrey! I ordered a pair of heated socks this morning!!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:10 pm Very nice outing Dave and glad you were able to pick up some meteors. That is a long session in the cold for sure. Was there any additive in the coffee? :lol:
Thanks, Alan! If you mean coffee creamer, then yes :smile:

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A great session. Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:22 pm
kt4hx wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:10 pm Very nice outing Dave and glad you were able to pick up some meteors. That is a long session in the cold for sure. Was there any additive in the coffee? :lol:
Thanks, Alan! If you mean coffee creamer, then yes :smile:

Dave

No, but I'll accept that and leave it at that! ;)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

That's a very interesting meteor shower report Dave. 48 is a nice haul plus thanks for the background information on the comet that is responsible for the Leonids. You are brave for staying out there in the 20-degree temperature as well - somehow you kept the coffee hot! Congrats also on winning the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

helicon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:47 pm That's a very interesting meteor shower report Dave. 48 is a nice haul plus thanks for the background information on the comet that is responsible for the Leonids. You are brave for staying out there in the 20-degree temperature as well - somehow you kept the coffee hot! Congrats also on winning the VROD for the day!
Thanks, Michael! Appreciate the recognition.

I never tire of devoting a night to "meteor viewing" :sprefac:

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. A very nice observing report on your Leonids meteor shower party. For keeping your hands and body warm on those cold night sessions I recommend a thermos of Lipton Beefy Onion soup. Thanks for another great report Dave and congratulations on receiving another well deserved TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Makuser wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:07 pm Hi Dave. A very nice observing report on your Leonids meteor shower party. For keeping your hands and body warm on those cold night sessions I recommend a thermos of Lipton Beefy Onion soup. Thanks for another great report Dave and congratulations on receiving another well deserved TSS VROD Award.
Thanks, Marshall! I find that my feet are the only area that gets cold. I have some very good gloves and use lots of layering. Going to try the heated socks for the next meteor shower (Geminids) in December. Will report back!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Nicely done on the VROD Dave. I am with you on the feet thing! In the worst temps I will put toe warmers in there as its my toes that bother me the most. Usually I can do about 3 to 4 hours of observing with two pairs of heavy socks and my Sorel boots. Hand warmers in the coat pockets can be useful as well!
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations on seeing the meteor shower and the VROD Dave!

I was unaware they came from comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, thanks!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:41 pm Nicely done on the VROD Dave. I am with you on the feet thing! In the worst temps I will put toe warmers in there as its my toes that bother me the most. Usually I can do about 3 to 4 hours of observing with two pairs of heavy socks and my Sorel boots. Hand warmers in the coat pockets can be useful as well!
Thanks, Alan! I've tried the toe warmers, but find them insufficient on those really cold nights. Old age has cut into my circulation. Hoping the heated socks will do the trick!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Ylem wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:29 am Congratulations on seeing the meteor shower and the VROD Dave!

I was unaware they came from comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, thanks!
Thanks, Jeff! I highly recommend a meteor shower session at least once a year for everyone!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:15 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:41 pm Nicely done on the VROD Dave. I am with you on the feet thing! In the worst temps I will put toe warmers in there as its my toes that bother me the most. Usually I can do about 3 to 4 hours of observing with two pairs of heavy socks and my Sorel boots. Hand warmers in the coat pockets can be useful as well!
Thanks, Alan! I've tried the toe warmers, but find them insufficient on those really cold nights. Old age has cut into my circulation. Hoping the heated socks will do the trick!

Dave

The socks will work very well for you. I know what you mean about circulation. If I had no toes I would be fine out in the winter! :lol: Then again, my balance might be worse than it is already! Worse case I can put one toe warmer under and one on top of my toes. If I smell smoke and hear the sizzle then I will know they are fully cooked! I guess I will find out tonight and tomorrow night as I am headed over to the other house for two nights.
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Dave

The socks will work very well for you. I know what you mean about circulation. If I had no toes I would be fine out in the winter! :lol: Then again, my balance might be worse than it is already! Worse case I can put one toe warmer under and one on top of my toes. If I smell smoke and hear the sizzle then I will know they are fully cooked! I guess I will find out tonight and tomorrow night as I am headed over to the other house for two nights.
Be safe out there! Temps were 19 degrees here last night!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:32 pm
kt4hx wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Dave

I am here and looks like pre-midnight our temps will stay in the low 30s tonight. So not too bad.
Be safe out there! Temps were 19 degrees here last night!!

Dave

I am here now and looks like our temps will be above 30 in the pre-midnight hours - so not too bad. Sky is clear and transparency is projected to be very good to excellent - we shall see! :icon-biggrin:
Alan