EQ-G quick review

Discuss Orion mounts.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

EQ-G quick review

Post by Star Dad »

Ok, then I'll do a quicky on the Orion EQ-G. It was recommended to me by two APers in my club.

The Polar scope is a cinch to use. BUT you have to align the scope first - that is make sure it's centered. When shipped (Mine at least) was not aligned... so do yourself a favor and align it during the day. Don't forget to polar align each time you set up.

The mount is heavy. Very sturdy and handles my 8" F4.9 FL1000mm with ease (18.5 pounds with camera). Needs both counterweights. I've broken the handle apparently on one of the weights. I have to use a vise-grip wrench to tighten it now.

The scope tracks well for one minute exposures by itself, though I do notice a wobble in images every few minutes or so... probably caused by an inaccurate worm gear. But on semi-cloudy nights, the scope does pretty well without guidance (ie PHD). I usually throw out about 5% of images... usually with airplanes in them but an occasional oval star pattern (that's the wobble taking place).

It works well with PHD and I've gotten some great pictures with it. I've not done more than 1 minute exposures, but I'm planning to in a couple of weeks... so we'll see how that works. Make sure you get an ASCOM - USB cable for it. A standard serial cable won't work.

Would I buy it again? Yes. I am VERY happy with the mount.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: EQ-G quick review

Post by KathyNS »

Nice review.

But which EQ-G are you referring to? "EQ-G" is just Orion-speak for GEM. I am guessing that you are referring to the Atlas, but the smaller Sirius is also an EQ-G.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: EQ-G quick review

Post by Star Dad »

Oh, didn't know that. I'm referring to the Atlas. Thanks for the clarification, Kathy!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter