two telescopes on same target

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

two telescopes on same target

Post by Mirrorgirl »

hi there i just wondered if someone could help me. i have started off with my William optics GT triplet refractor on the lion nebula and tonight i want to change telescopes to the 80 ed doublet refactor sky watcher is it ok to do this when imaging and stacking i was told it would be ok but i thought i would leave it to the pro's
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: two telescopes on same target

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Tom (astrovetteman) uses two different sized refractors at once.
I cannot see changing the telescope to be detrimental to the image.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

It depends on the stacking program. I believe that DSS for instance will not be able to stack images of different resolutions, but you can stack them in separate groups then combine the two stacks manually in something like Photoshop or Gimp. I would think PI can do it, but I don't know for sure.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

@Juno16 Jim, can you answer this?
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@Mirrorgirl @JayTee

I really have no idea! Not ever messed around with trying that. I did play around with a few light frames shot with two different scopes and combined in Pixinsight WBPP. I will send another note soon.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I would have thought DSS could do it. Certainly PixInsight can.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Not sure if this is the correct approach, but it looks like it might be close.

I had some Horsehead/Flame data from 2020 imaged with the Explore Scientific ED102 (571mm) and some Horsehead/Flame data from 2021 imaged with the Sharpstar 61 (275mm).

I simply (for test purposes) added 10 lights from the 2020 dataset and 10 lights from the 2021 dataset into the "Lights" tab of Pixinsight's WBPP. They were both 120 exposure lengths, but if the data was of different exposure times, just separate them with the keyword "EXPTIME".

I used no calibration frames.

The only issue that I had was in registration and that turned out to be that the geometry was different between the datasets. The 2020 data was shot with APT and the 2021 data was shot with N.I.N.A., and I am not sure if that is why the orientation was different. I corrected each of the ten frames from the 2020 dataset just for the test.

The frames registered and integrated fine.

Capture.JPG

These images are the stacked combination (masterlight) on the left and one light frame from each of the datasets (the middle and right image).

Capture1JPG.JPG

You can see in the combined image (left) that the image would have to be cropped to the crudely drawn arrows in the below image.

combination1.jpg

I have no idea if this is the correct way to combine this sort of data. It does look like the s/n of the area to be cropped (the combined area) is much higher.

I hope that someone with experience in this process chimes in. I would love to hear how it is correctly done!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 pm Not sure if this is the correct approach, but it looks like it might be close.

I had some Horsehead/Flame data from 2020 imaged with the Explore Scientific ED102 (571mm) and some Horsehead/Flame data from 2021 imaged with the Sharpstar 61 (275mm).

I simply (for test purposes) added 10 lights from the 2020 dataset and 10 lights from the 2021 dataset into the "Lights" tab of Pixinsight's WBPP. They were both 120 exposure lengths, but if the data was of different exposure times, just separate them with the keyword "EXPTIME".

The only issue that I had was in registration and that turned out to be that the geometry was different between the datasets. The 2020 data was shot with APT and the 2021 data was shot with N.I.N.A., and I am not sure if that is why the orientation was different. I corrected each of the ten frames from the 2020 dataset just for the test.

Capture.JPG

These images are the stacked combination (masterlight) on the left and one light frame from each of the datasets (the middle and right image).

Thanks so much for that info, Jim Thank you

Capture1JPG.JPG

You can see in the combined image (left) that the image would have to be cropped to the crudely drawn arrows in the below image.

combination1.jpg

I have no idea if this is the correct way to combine this sort of data. It does look like the s/n of the area to be cropped (the combined area) is much higher.

I hope that someone with experience in this process chimes in. I would love to hear how it is correctly done!
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:53 am
Juno16 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 pm Not sure if this is the correct approach, but it looks like it might be close.

Capture.JPG

Capture1JPG.JPG

combination1.jpg

Hi Rhoda,
Did you have a comment or question?
Jim

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:00 pm
Mirrorgirl wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:53 am

Capture.JPG

Capture1JPG.JPG

combination1.jpg

sorry Yes thanks for your info, Jim I'm taking all on board.

Hi Rhoda,
Did you have a comment or question?

chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Hi Rhoda,

I do this all the time with data taken through the different scopes/cameras I’ve owned over the years. Matter of fact, a buddy and i just did a collaborative image of the Lion Nebula earlier this year. Shot with completely different scope and camera setups from different locations. I see you use Pixinsight, which is the perfect tool for the job! All you do is use StarAlignment to align the calibrated subs and they should stack without issue. StarAlignmnet is pretty slick about making the geometry match the reference frame . If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to drop a line.

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chartram wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:10 am Hi Rhoda,

I do this all the time with data taken through the different scopes/cameras I’ve owned over the years. Matter of fact, a buddy and i just did a collaborative image of the Lion Nebula earlier this year. Shot with completely different scope and camera setups from different locations. I see you use Pixinsight, which is the perfect tool for the job! All you do is use StarAlignment to align the calibrated subs and they should stack without issue. StarAlignmnet is pretty slick about making the geometry match the reference frame . If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to drop a line.

Mike
@chartram

Hey Mike,

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if you read my post #7, but I took a shot at trying this and it looked like it worked fine. The only thing that messed me up was when I initially registered the two groups of lights (StarAlignment), it failed on the first set. I realized that these lights were captured with APT and the latter set by N.I.N.A. I don't know if that was the reason, but the orientation of the APT data was inverted compared to the N.I.N.A. data. I corrected the earlier data orientation in PI (180 degree rotation, horizontal flip) and all of the data aligned fine.
I threw all of the lights into WBPP and it took care of everything.

Not sure if I will every use this, but it sure is easy to do in PI!
Jim

chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

@chartram

Hey Mike,

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if you read my post #7, but I took a shot at trying this and it looked like it worked fine. The only thing that messed me up was when I initially registered the two groups of lights (StarAlignment), it failed on the first set. I realized that these lights were captured with APT and the latter set by N.I.N.A. I don't know if that was the reason, but the orientation of the APT data was inverted compared to the N.I.N.A. data. I corrected the earlier data orientation in PI (180 degree rotation, horizontal flip) and all of the data aligned fine.

That’s weird. One would think that 180° flip would be no different than aligning subs taken after meridian flip. But I could see where a horizontal (mirror image) flip could throw it off. Wonder if there’s a difference in the FITS header info between APT & NINA.

The best way to do it (in my experience) is to register all of the light frames from all outings to one reference frame then stack them all together, if that makes sense.

The attached collaborative image was taken with different scopes, and different acquisition programs. Just aligned everything to one Ha frame, then stacked each channel’s data as if shot with one scope.
Attachments
Lion neb collaborative
Lion neb collaborative
Last edited by chartram on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

KathyNS wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:11 pm I would have thought DSS could do it. Certainly PixInsight can.
I had DSS protesting when loading subs of different resolution a few times. I would not know how to do this with different groups. I do use different groups with RGB or other filters, and know how to align them, but that's all the same resolution.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chartram wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:15 pm

@chartram

Hey Mike,

That’s weird. One would think that 180° flip would be no different than aligning subs taken after meridian flip. But I could see where a horizontal (mirror image) flip could throw it off. Wonder if there’s a difference in the FITS header info between APT & NINA.

The best way to do it (in my experience) is to register all of the light frames from all outings to one reference frame then stack them all together, if that makes sense.

The attached collaborative image was taken with different scopes, and different acquisition programs. Just aligned everything to one Ha frame, then stacked each channel’s data as if shot with one scope.
@chartram
Wierd for sure. I agree that it must be something different in the fits header as they are very different.
Very good practice to register all images to create the SA reference frame.
Not a big issue for me as I don’t have plans to combine different scope data, but its a pretty cool process snd was fun to run through.
Thanks Mike.
Jim