To Format Or Not To Format!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

To Format Or Not To Format!

Post by JayTee »

As I get ready to start imaging again after a two-year hiatus, I'm left with a question of what to do with the laptop that ran all the AP software. I got a new laptop last Christmas and that is my household and processing laptop. The laptop it replaced (the "old laptop") is now designated as purely an AP laptop and as such it will live out in the observatory. This old laptop functioned as both household and AP acquisition and processing which means it has a lot of extra files on it. Would it be easier to delete all the unnecessary files (that would be extensive) or just format this HD and start from scratch? Keeping in mind that most of my gear is new and has yet to have custom profiles made for that new gear.

If I do reformat, what should I keep/avoid, and are there any "gotchas" I should be keen to pay attention to?

Your guidance, as always, is appreciated and well-regarded.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: To Format Or Not To Format!

Post by KathyNS »

Reformatting will mean reinstalling the operating system, which will probably be a new version. Great if that's what you want, but some people don't consider new versions to be improvements. Just a heads-up.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

The space needed for software controlling your gear is very small, relatively, so no need to wipe anything. Of course if your laptop runs windows you may want to format it just because of that and install something that works and keeps working the same way despite updates and upgrades that you can control yourself. KStars runs fine on Ubuntu, for instance. If you have enough gear, the cables just get in the way so get a Pi or Nuc for Xmas and mount it on the scope itself right by its electronics, much cleaner and much easier to deal with. At work I was told I need a new Win11 PC so I am in the middle of moving everything over, not much fun, lots of things are not working the way I am used to.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi JT,

I guess that it depends on if you have formatted and installed an OS before. Is the laptop Windows 10?

It is really no big deal to clean install Windows 10 (I recommend the "Pro" version so that you can control automatic updates). Of course, there can be some snags (seems like there are always a few). Just depends on your experience and if you like challenges. I know that folks are die hard Windows haters, but I have always had very good success with Windows.

The benefits of a clean install are big. Your "old" laptop will perform like new. You won't have the years of collected "stuff" clogging it up. In fact, if you do clean install, I highly recommend a new ssd. They are cheap. You can buy a 500g name brand on Amazon for <$50. I just saw a Silicon Power 256g ssd on Amazon for $18!!! I have used a Silicon Power 128g ssd in my 8-9 year old Dell imaging laptop for 3-4 years and it works great.

So, bottom line, if you don't feel like the task, just clean it up and use it. Or, buy a new/refurbished laptop for your new obs. They are cheap.

Good luck and let us know your decision.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

What system version of operating system are you using?

I assume it's windows, if so it's pretty easy to wipe the hard drive and install the "restore" software. Make sure that you have any license codes for software you may have purchased and installed before, as you will need them to re-install.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

When responding to your thread, I saw how inexpensive the new ssd’s are. I ordered a SP 512g ssd ($26) last night to upgrade the existing 128g ssd in my imaging laptop.
Thanks JT!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/