Setup for newbie

Discuss reflector telescopes
Cliffjg
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Setup for newbie

Post by Cliffjg »

Just got Celestron astromaster 114 eq.
I do not see how to put an eyepiece on or how to take off the lens cover (seriously)
Any help is appreciated
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Setup for newbie

Post by KathyNS »

Welcome to TSS!

The aperture cover should just lift off. (You are trying to take the cover off the correct end, I hope. Seriously!) Some Celestron scopes have a cover that needs a slight counterclockwise twist to remove.

There may be a cover on the eyepiece holder on the focuser. You would have to remove that. It should just lift out, though it is possible that you might have to loosen a thumbscrew first. The eyepiece just slips into the holder and you tighten the thumbscrew.

Can you describe the problems you are having in more detail? What happens when you try to remove the cover or insert an eyepiece?

Do you have a manual for the scope? The manual is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/celestron-site ... al_Web.pdf
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Cliffjg
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cliffjg »

Got the lens cover off. Tx.
The eyepiece holder is on the side of the scope.
I can remove the piece with the set screw but there is no way to screw in an eyepiece. And it would be on the side if I could.

Also cannot see how to put on the finder scope. There does not appear to be anywhere to put it y
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Eyepieces do not screw in. They slide into the opening at the end of the focuser and are held by a thumbscrew. The "piece with the set screw" needs to stay on the focuser. That is what the eyepiece fits into.

Yes, the focuser (and therefore the eyepiece) is on the side of the scope. That is how a Newtonian scope works.

The cover page of the manual shows how the assembled scope should look.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Cliffjg
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cliffjg »

Thank you
Where and how does the finders open attach to the scope.
I do not see how to attach it.
Cliffjg
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cliffjg »

I meant where does the finder scope attach and how
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Cliffjg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:56 pm I meant where does the finder scope attach and how
Well, the photo shows where. It looks like it is near the front-top of the tube.

As for how, that depends on what you have. I assume you have a "red dot" finder, as shown in the manual. Is that correct? There are two mounting screws on the side of the finder that attach it to the base. I don't know if the base is with the finder or on the telescope. If the base is already on the scope, just place the finder over it and tighten the two mounting screws to hold it in place. If the base is not attached to the scope, you will have to attach it There are likely screws in that area that are for the purpose of attaching the finder.

Why don't you show us a picture of what you have? It will be a lot easier to explain.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Cliff,

Did the telescope you bought not come with a user's manual? Celestron is pretty good about giving thorough instructions.

If you do not have the manual, you can download it here.
https://www.celestron.com/pages/manuals
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Cliffjg
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cliffjg »

Thank you for the help.
I got the lens cover off (lol)
And I put an eye piece on the scope. However I am only seeing solid white when I look through the eyepiece

I figured out that the Finder scope fits over the dovetail mount on the top of the scope, however I am unable to tighten it onto the mount show that it does not wobble . Any way to remedy that?

Thanks Again.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Your telescope should have come with a 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.
Try the 20mm first, this is the lower power eyepiece. The larger the number the lower the power)
Aim your telescope at a distant object and adjust the focuser until the image is in focus.

If you are still unable to get anything into focus your collimation may be off.
Look online for the Astro-Baby Guide to Collimation. Good step by step instructions.
The 114mm has a extra set of lens in the focuser tube, you will have to remove it for collimation.
Remember which way it came out and try not to get fingerprints on it :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt