Question about specific NGC designations

Discuss deep sky objects.
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Question about specific NGC designations

Post by omeek »

I've noticed that in SkyTools there's a spiral galaxy with 2 NGC designations (or so it seems). It lists the object as "NGC 3373 (NGC3389)". I thought it was odd so did some searching for this and similar objects. This lead to more confusion as I came across galaxies with that same type of designation. For example, NGC 3384 is also known as NGC 3371.

Are some of those designations referring to 'galaxy clusters' or something since some of these seem to be in galaxy groups? My bit of searching has not helped my understanding (quite the opposite) so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone might be able to clarify. :)
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Question about specific NGC designations

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

Ha! Thanks for that. I guess it shouldn't seem strange that astronomers mess things up once in a while too. :)

[Edit] Also meant to add that while the detailed notes answered some questions it also added more. :lol:
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is fairly normal for astronomy in general :lol:
Glad it help at least a bit.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

By the 1990s, it was obvious the NGC had a a ton of errors--nonexistent objects, duplicate sightings, position errors, etc.
An attempt was made to clean it up, but it still had around 700+ missing objects.
An organization known as the NGC/IC project got started, with people observing each one, pinning down the correct coordinates, and looking at original 18th and 19th century notes to identify errors.
The number of unidentifiable objects reduced significantly. A few errors were identified that were not corrected, like NGC90 and 91, which were reversed. Too many studies and pictures had taken place, so reversing the numbers would make a hundred years of study
become problematic.
You can find the latest corrections here:
http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/index_e.htm
The point is, the NGC catalog has a lot of errors in it that have not been cleaned up and probably will never be, due to the poor notes left by the discoverers.
Still, having a more corrected version is a good thing, even if some NGC objects will never be identified (if they were real).
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

It is common, especially on the nearer (larger angular size) galaxies to have NGC numbers for specific features within the galaxy, typically star-forming regions, as well as an overall designation for the galaxy itself.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin