Siril for stacking and processing?

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Siril for stacking and processing?

Post by Gordon »

My results with Deep Sky Stacker, have not been as good as I thought they should be so I decided to try Siril.
After a few failed attempts at stacking, I finally got it dialed in (read the instructions first!!!)....

I like the results from the stacking process but it also does processing so I will give it a try today.

Is anyone else using it for either or both stacking and processing?

It's free so the price is right....

https://siril.org/
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Siril for stacking and processing?

Post by davesellars »

No, not used this but thanks for bringing it to attention. I'll give it a go next time I've got something half decent to stack and compare with the DSS output.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Gordon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:38 pm My results with Deep Sky Stacker, have not been as good as I thought they should be so I decided to try Siril.
After a few failed attempts at stacking, I finally got it dialed in (read the instructions first!!!)....

I like the results from the stacking process but it also does processing so I will give it a try today.

Is anyone else using it for either or both stacking and processing?

It's free so the price is right....

https://siril.org/
Siril is so incomprehensible and counterintuitive to me that I stopped trying. I totally get your remark about the instructions!
If it is substantially better than DSS however, I would appreciate hearing in what ways it is better.
Good luck.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I can't say too much about "processing" yet. I tried it once and wasn't real happy with the results, but as with any software, it's a bit of 'trial and error'.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.