Newbie Looking For Telescope

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Newbie Looking For Telescope

Post by hatflyer »

I'm looking for a telescope to use with my DSLR for DSO, with a focal length >400mm, weighs 6 lbs or less, and costs <$600. Does such a telescope exist?

Thanks.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Newbie Looking For Telescope

Post by chris_g »

One example, OTA weight with accessories, 4.3 lbs, focal length 420, cost $540

https://agenaastro.com/sky-watcher-evos ... 11180.html

Most equipment sites will let you filter by focal length then sort by price. However, your cost doesn't stop with the OTA.

Good luck,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Are you aware of the two best Astro gear classifieds site?

They are (in no particular order), Cloudy Nights classified, and Astro Mart.

Cloudy Nights is free, Astro Mart requires a small sum for membership to see the prices. I use both of them. I just bought a 6-in refractor in perfect condition off of Astro Mart for $200 and it's a $2,000 telescope. So I would suggest you take a look and see what you can find.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

Narrowing it down to these, so far. Thoughts?

-Sky-Watcher EvoStar 72 f/5.8 Apo (lightweight)

-Tecnosky APO 70/420 FPL53 (lightweight, tho more expensive)

-Astro-Tech AT70ED 2.8" f/6 ED

-SVBONY SV503 Telescope, 70ED F6

-Orion ED80 80mm f/7.5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

The Orion ED80, it's 600 native. But you will need to add the cost of the field flattener. I use the Orion ED80 .85 reducer flattener. I bought it almost two years ago. Prices have gone up.

@JayTee is right, go look at the classified sites as well. Find some really good deals there, including some really nice yard cannons sometimes.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Astrotech 80ED is within your specs.

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... r-ota.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:59 pm Astrotech 80ED is within your specs.

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... r-ota.html

I second that recommendation. However, I’m a visual observer so take it for what it’s worth.

I just bought one yesterday and received it today, less than 23 hours later! I already have an AT102ED but I had to purchase a heavier mount for it. The AT80ED is the same size as my little Bresser and seems to be very stable on my smaller Bresser (rebranded ES Twilight Nano) mount. So far, I’ve only observed the sun with it (solar filter of course) this afternoon but if the clouds hold off I’ll bring it out tonight. The sunspots and plage on the sun were sharp and I didn’t notice any chromatic aberration. Here in Texas it still got up to 96 F (35.5 C) today so I didn’t observe long in the sun.

I love my AT102ED but I’m experimenting with finding the best performance vs weight (portability) ratio.

By the way, the build quality of the Astro-Tech telescopes is way above their price point. You will find no plastic anywhere so these may be good to pass down through the family.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

hatflyer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:02 pm Narrowing it down to these, so far. Thoughts?
-Astro-Tech AT70ED 2.8" f/6 ED
The AT70ED gets very good reviews on Cloudy Nights. The AT72EDII gets excellent reviews for astrophotography, but is more expensive.
The Wave Catcher wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:06 pm I already have an AT102ED but I had to purchase a heavier mount for it.
I love my AT102ED but I’m experimenting with finding the best performance vs weight (portability) ratio.
What are you using with your AT102ED? I bought one last spring and I'm sort of struggling with what to mount it on.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:22 pm What are you using with your AT102ED? I bought one last spring and I'm sort of struggling with what to mount it on.

I’m using an Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt/Az mount. I works good with it though it is rigid and there was a little too much vibration after slewing the telescope. I put some furniture pads underneath each foot and that solved the problem.

The complete setup, AT102ED and Twilight mount weighs in at 26 lbs (11.79 kg). Not too heavy, but a bit cumbersome if I don’t take it apart first, mainly because the eyepiece tray prongs (for the legs) stab me in the chest.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

I'd rather go with slightly less aperture (if you're set on a refractor that is) with great quality optics than more aperture but lesser quality optics especially for DSO AP. Although, you need to realise that one scope is not really capable of doing everything!

You may have to factor in a longer dovetail or counterweight to balance the scope as well with a DSLR it can get really back heavy (with my 80ED) and is not balanced well on the Dec axis.

I would recommend this:
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U

The FPL3 optics will give you very little discernable CA - AT seem to have a very good build (although I've not used one I'm fairly sure these come out of the same factory as my Starfield 102ED... ;) Sure you could go with the cheaper 72mm version but you'll probably be "upgrading" before too long to better optics if you really get in to it.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

davesellars wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 am I'd rather go with slightly less aperture (if you're set on a refractor that is) with great quality optics than more aperture but lesser quality optics especially for DSO AP. Although, you need to realise that one scope is not really capable of doing everything!

You may have to factor in a longer dovetail or counterweight to balance the scope as well with a DSLR it can get really back heavy (with my 80ED) and is not balanced well on the Dec axis.

I would recommend this:

The FPL3 optics will give you very little discernable CA - AT seem to have a very good build (although I've not used one I'm fairly sure these come out of the same factory as my Starfield 102ED... ;) Sure you could go with the cheaper 72mm version but you'll probably be "upgrading" before too long to better optics if you really get in to it.
Are any telescopes besides reftractors worth looking at?
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Thinking about it... I was going to suggest something like the Skywatcher 130PDS reflector but you'd need a coma corrector and I think it's over your weight limitation anyway. Unless you plan on putting it on a sturdy mount perhaps better to stick with a small refractor!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

hatflyer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:18 pm
davesellars wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 am I'd rather go with slightly less aperture (if you're set on a refractor that is) with great quality optics than more aperture but lesser quality optics especially for DSO AP. Although, you need to realise that one scope is not really capable of doing everything!

I would recommend this:

Are any telescopes besides reftractors worth looking at?
That depends on what you are trying to image, longer focal lengths for smaller objects. Refractors by far are the easiest to set up, IMHO. A refractor ED150 F/10 is about 1200 focal length native, lots of money. My C8-SCT, 2032 native and 1280 with a focal reducer, less than half the cost (but still lots of money), more difficult to work with but has distinct advantages over the ED150, namely weight and size. I started with an ED80 almost two years ago. Since, I've added a WO ZS73 so I could get full frame and a bigger FOV. I recently added the 8" SCT for tiny stuff. I will eventually add at least one more at about 800mm focal length. Below is a link to what looks like a halfway decent article that talks about the different type of telescopes.

Odyssey Magazine - Types of Telescopes

Clear Skies,
Chris
hatflyer
Mars Ambassador

Post by hatflyer »

I think I'm leaning towards the Astro-Tech AT72EDII. Not as heavy as the 80s. As for flatteners, what's the limit on how little a flattener reduces focal length? I guess a 1.0 is too much to hope for? ;)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

hatflyer wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:33 am I think I'm leaning towards the Astro-Tech AT72EDII. Not as heavy as the 80s. As for flatteners, what's the limit on how little a flattener reduces focal length? I guess a 1.0 is too much to hope for? ;)
you can find them. Orion has a near 1.0 flattener for short refractors. https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Field-F ... /99608.uts i've no experience with it. maybe someone else?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

hatflyer wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:33 am I think I'm leaning towards the Astro-Tech AT72EDII. Not as heavy as the 80s. As for flatteners, what's the limit on how little a flattener reduces focal length? I guess a 1.0 is too much to hope for? ;)
No, it's not. I have an Z73 with a flattener only. And the specs are almost exactly same as far as native focal length. You'll also get a scope capable of illuminating a full frame sensor, it is more expensive but not that much. The flattener is $218

Astro Tech AT72ED and William Otopics Zenith Star 73 and it's 1:1 flattener