TSS October QUIZ

TSS Quizzes, just for fun. Come and test your astronomy knowledge.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS October QUIZ

Post by BABOafrica »

:observer:

I having been working together with Joe (OzEclipse) to sub for Ray (Raymondhow) for a while.

Joe did the quiz for July & September. I did the one for August. Now I am uploading the one for October.

Here’s the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... _form_link

The best score possible is 20/20.

Remember:
1. No online research allowed. No peeking at your astronomy atlas. It's just you and the quiz.
2. On multiple choice questions, feel free to guess. You may get lucky!
3. If you have a comment about a question when posting on this thread, please do NOT give away the correct answer!

If you want others to know what score you got, post it here.

Enjoy!

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: TSS October QUIZ

Post by OzEclipse »

Great Quiz Joe.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Good quiz, did better than last month at least...
14/20
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Oy! A tough one. 6/20.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

7 out of 20 here with a lot of guessing, some good some bad.

I got some confusing messages from Google that I had to switch accounts, enter my ID (I tried in 2 fields, it would not let me enter anything). I went on and it worked apparently. Then I had to re-enter the name of the constellation under the picture instead of where the question was.

Anyway, it went through and was fun to do.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I got 14/20. Admittedly I guessed on the one with the highest point value but got it right. Great quiz Babo.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Some of those low scores were a bit of a surprise to me but I guess knowledge is a funny thing. I did this quiz as a test run for Babo back in July. I recall that I didn't find this one too hard on my first try. Don't remember my score but maybe somewhere around 12-15 which was the sort of score I sometimes got with Ray's quizzes.

I made some suggestions to Joe and so this quiz is very slightly different to the one I did. I didn't do this the past few days because I am now familiar with the answers. In particular, I thought the original constellation diagram was really misleading and I got it wrong even though I am very familiar with the constellation. We reviewed a few to find a representation that was hopefully neutral - not hard or misleading, but not not easy.

I remember I scored very badly on some of Ray's quizzes where others scored highly. It all depends if the Q's are in your wheelhouse! I don't have a broad knowledge of sci fi so those were always a guess for me and which is why I don't put sci fi Q's in mine.

In the end, it's a bit of fun. I am trying to set my quizzes so that the average in this group should hopefully be 12-14 and sometimes, someone will score 20. If it isn't a challenge then there is no point.

Ray originally set his quizzes for his astro club, then re-uses them here. I am flipping that around. I have been writing them for here but just struck a deal with our astronomy club editor to run the quiz series as a regular feature in the association newsletter, starting at the beginning next year.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Only 11/20, should have been 15, but went back and second guessed. Note to self, go with first choice.

A difficult one,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
pixelsaurus New Zealand
Moon Ambassador

Post by pixelsaurus »

:text-blondmoment: 8/20. Lotsa guesses, mostly wrong.
Mike

Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 SP lens
NcStar 20x70 binoculars
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount, iOptron SkyGuider Pro
iOptron miniGuidescope + QHY5P Guide camera
Pentax K500, Pentax K70, Pentax K1, QHY183C
NexStar Evolution 8 HD Telescope with StarSense, Wedge for NexStar Evolution and SE 6/8
Umbrella, gumboots.