Split the doubles?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Split the doubles?

Post by Razz »

I'm not sure if what I did was what I've read called "split the doubles"...Had clear skies tonight so I set up the scope. Well, Jupiter and Saturn were behind the trees around my house so I decided to check out something simple because I'm still new at this. I checked out the Big Dipper's stars. According to Stellarium, at least as I saw it, the Big Dipper is made up of double stars. So I checked them out. To me, they all looked like a single star except for Alioth...that was very clearly 2 stars on my scope. Does that sound about right and did I actually "split the doubles" or did I merely see some other random stars...
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Split the doubles?

Post by sdbodin »

Well, the only bright double I know is next door to Alioth. That is Mizar and its naked eye companion Alcor. maybe the attached pic will be familiar.
Mizar_Alcor_16f6zwo.jpg
Observing double stars can be a very enjoyable pastime and also doable in bright moonlight when the faint fuzzies are washed out.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Random trivia, the roman military used the Mizar/ Alcor double as a eye test for their soldiers.

There are optical doubles as well as actual double stars, some are fairly easy like Mizar/ Alcor (optical double) but others are quite close together so splitting them takes magnification and good skies.
Really tough/ close doubles may be referred to as figure 8 doubles as they are to close to split but the 2 airy disks look like a figure 8 or a figure 8 with a thin line between them.
There are various atlases that show many doubles of varying difficulty to view.
Cambridge Double Star Atlas is a good one to start with.

Enjoy the views and the chase as double are a lot of fun :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Well, I'll be honest, if that picture was turned so the double was at the bottom right and the other star was at the top left then, yea, that looks like exactly what I saw. I was sure I was on Alioth. Oh well, I'm still have a lot to learn so thanks for the info.
Also, thanks Lady Fraktor for the info and book recommendation you gave me. I just ordered The Cambridge Double Star Atlas.
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Ok, I have to ask a question...this just occurred to me...it's in regards to the above picture that was shown to me...a little later, about 3 am, I went back out and got a chance to observe Jupiter...I saw it plus 2 of it's moons...however, and here is where my problem is, I could kind of see bands of clouds but they were in a North/South orientation....now, I'm thinking my viewing is tilted 90 degrees to the left....which explains why I confused Alioth with Mizar....I only say this because the pic provided by sdbodin is 90 degrees tilted to the left of what I saw....My question....what could cause this? Daytime use, example setting up the finder, shows none of these issues....everything is as it should be....

Bill
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Since the dipper rotates around the NCP and you and Steve were likely not looking at the same time (west coast/ east coast) the dipper may have rotated 90° between views.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Usually I orient my images with North up, but in this case North was left. Otherwise Alcor would not have fit on my camera chip. My fault, I should have noted the orientation difference.

Also one must take into account whether your scope is equatorially mounted or alt/az. Equatorial mounts will allow a constant orientation with the sky, alt/az do not, they align with the horizon.

Sorry for the confusion,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Not a problem at all. Thank you for taking the time to correct me. Supposed to be clear skies tomorrow night. If so, I'm going to check it out again. I'm on a mission to see Alioth just because it fooled me...lol...Now that I know more about what I'm looking at, I should be able to see it. Again, thanks for the info.

Bill
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Razz. A nice double splitting report from you. Lady Fraktor did a nice job of explaining the difference between a binary system double from an optical double as it appears to us from our point of view when one of the stars are many light years away from each other and not a binary system. Also, you will enjoy using the Cambridge Double Star Atlas by James Mullaney and Will Turion as it is the best:

Double Star Atlas.JPG

And you will receive the recent edition which now includes the PA (position angles). Thanks for your report Razz and keep splitting those double stars.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Mizar is also a double star. In this photo, Mizar is at the bottom right and Alcor is at the top left.

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Makuser wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 pm Hi Razz. A nice double splitting report from you. Lady Fraktor did a nice job of explaining the difference between a binary system double from an optical double as it appears to us from our point of view when one of the stars are many light years away from each other and not a binary system. Also, you will enjoy using the Cambridge Double Star Atlas by James Mullaney and Will Turion as it is the best:

Double Star Atlas.JPG

And you will receive the recent edition which now includes the PA (position angles). Thanks for your report Razz and keep splitting those double stars.
Thank you...

Bill
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Baurice wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:05 pm Mizar is also a double star. In this photo, Mizar is at the bottom right and Alcor is at the top left.

If that is the case, then what is the star or light next to Mizar? I see a double star in the lower right but a single at the top left...I thought Mizar and Alcor were the 2 stars right next to each other....

Bill
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Razz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:49 am
Baurice wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:05 pm Mizar is also a double star. In this photo, Mizar is at the bottom right and Alcor is at the top left.

If that is the case, then what is the star or light next to Mizar? I see a double star in the lower right but a single at the top left...I thought Mizar and Alcor were the 2 stars right next to each other....
Many stars are not just doubles but multiples. Mizar and Alcor is very wide double, it is best viewed under lower power. At high power they appear wide a part (like in that photo). Mizar it self is a double star but with much smaller separation between two components, to separate them one needs to go to higher power. So, on the photo you see Alcor in the upper left and Mizar A and B components in the lower right.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for that. It was actually the one at the bottom right that I was originally talking about. So, I managed to see exactly what that picture shows. I have a lot to learn but I'm having a good time doing it...

Bill
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Razz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:34 pm Thanks for that. It was actually the one at the bottom right that I was originally talking about. So, I managed to see exactly what that picture shows. I have a lot to learn but I'm having a good time doing it...
We are all still learning. If we ever stop, it'll get boring. People I look up to as experts claim they are still learning.