A few Afocal Lunar Images

Post your Lunar images here.
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

A few Afocal Lunar Images

Post by Ragilmer »

I got out early yesterday morning for a pre-dawn observing session with my son and ended it by getting some afocal iPhone photos through my AD10 (reported over here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27115 ). I've been wanting to learn lunar geography a little better, so I thought a good way to do that would be to look up some information about each of the landmarks or features I photographed. If I'm incorrect on any of my ID's I'd appreciate the corrections as I'm still learning my way around.
Kepler.jpeg

The Kepler crater in the first photo is about 20 miles across and 1.5 miles deep. The rays coming out of blast site span almost 200 miles
Bay of Rainbows.jpeg

The horseshoe shape at the bottom of the image is the Bay of Rainbows (Sinus Iridium). It’s about 150 miles across and is an impact crater that was flooded with lava. It’s ringed by the Montes Jura which top out at over 12,000’ higher than the “bay” below.

Sea of Moisture.jpeg
Mare Humorum (Sea of Moisture) is a little over 250 miles across and is ringed by craters. The prominent crater on the right of the sea is called Gassendi and makes a jeweled ring shape with Gassendi A, the smaller crater at the top of the loop. You can also make out the central peaks left over from the initial blast.

Vitello.jpg
In the center of the next image is the crater Vitello (the dark, oddly-shaped crater). It was once thought to be a volcano, but lunar missions helped show that it had no contemporary volcanic activity (and likely is just a weirdly shaped crater). This image was made in Lynkeos by stacking about 10 separate frames. Mainly I was messing around with it to try and remember how to stack images :) If anyone has suggestions on better Apple compatible stacking software please let me know. I was just using still images, but next time I may try to use some video clips to stack instead.

Cool Valley.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find a name for the cool valley on the center right. I just like the shadow cast by the mountains on the opposite side of the valley from us. Does anyone know what that feature is called?

Shickard.jpeg
The large crater in the center (above Vitello and the cool valley) is named after Wilhelm Schickard, a 17th century German professor who studied classical languages of the Levant and astronomy. He also invented an early mechanical calculator—but it didn’t quite work, which is why you may not have heard of him (I don't think I had before I looked up the crater ;) ).

Thanks y'all!
-Rob
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A few Afocal Lunar Images

Post by pakarinen »

Ragilmer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:58 am I got out early yesterday morning for a pre-dawn observing session
:handgestures-thumbup: My favorite time to observe unless I'm out at a dark site.
I haven’t been able to find a name for the cool valley on the center right. [...] Does anyone know what that feature is called?
If I'm looking at the same feature as you, that's Schiller crater - the oblong thing.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ragilmer »

Thanks Pakarinen! I think that is probably it. So did the impact come in at an angle to cause that shape?
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 8.37.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 8.37.59 AM.png (76.69 KiB) Viewed 517 times
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ragilmer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:41 pm Thanks Pakarinen! I think that is probably it. So did the impact come in at an angle to cause that shape?
You'd think so, but I'll defer to the lunar experts among us.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for posting this set of shots. I always like good lunar shots.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
MrShorty United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MrShorty »

Some very nice lunar shots, thanks for sharing.

If it's not too forward to add additional interest to these pics. In your shot of Kepler, you can follow one ray up and a little to the right to get to crater Reiner and that kite shaped white patch that is simply called Reiner Gamma. These so-called "lunar swirls" (Reiner Gamma is the easiest one to view from Earth) can be very interesting, in part because no one really knows what they are.

Towards the top of the "bay of rainbows" pic is the highest albedo feature on the near side of the moon -- crater Aristarchus. An interesting observation challenge near Aristarchus is to get a good look at Vallis Schroteri -- a prominent, winding valley in the plateau.

Thanks again for the lunar pictures. It really can be a lot of fun to get to know our nearest neighbor.
telescopes: XT6 and XT12 Dobsonians
binoculars: 15x70
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: