Wanting to learn AutoStakkert

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Wanting to learn AutoStakkert

Post by Inspeqtor »

I just recently bought a Celestron NexStar 6SE telescope , my very first ever telescope that I can take pictures with. I have been a photographer since I was a kid in the 60's. Now I own a Canon 90D camera and a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary Lens with a Sigma 2.0 Tele-extender so being able to shoot 1200mm with that set-up.

I found with the Celestron quickly that it was really to heavy and bulky for me to handle which really saddened and surprised me. I have already returned that Telescope.

I want to continue for now using my camera to take pictures of the moon, but I want to now also learn using AutoStakkert to get even better single images of the moon. I found using AutoStakkert I need to take a short video then run it thru AutoStakkert but found I need to convert my MP4 files to AVI. What is the best / easiest program to use to convert the MP4 files? I think I may then also have to use another program but do not know for sure.

Here are a couple of my latest pictures of the Moon taken with my Canon 90D and my Sigma 150-600C setup

ImageIMG_2863 Moon 09-07-2022 by inspeqtor, on Flickr

ImageMay 12-2022 B by inspeqtor, on Flickr
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Wanting to learn AutoStakkert

Post by JayTee »

There is another free program that you can download that you would use prior to AutoStackert it's called planetary Imaging preprocessor or pipp. It will do everything you need done to that mp4 file to make it ready for AutoStackert.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

What JayTee said. Whether still images or video, it's seriously a must have for your DSLR/Lunar processing. A link to it here.

BTW, nice Lunar shots as well, good for you! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

JayTee and Thefatkitty, I thank you both for responding to my query. I did not think to mention my computer is a Windows 10 computer. If I am reading about PIPP correctly right now PIPP is not supported to run with Windows, but they are working on getting that done, am I correct on that??

No telling for sure how long it will take to get PIPP up to running on a Windows machine.

Thank you fatkitty for your kind remarks about my photos!

What do I do now to improve my images?
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I run PIPP on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, it works just fine.
Inspeqtor wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:43 am What do I do now to improve my image?
Keep taking videos always working on getting your focus as exact as possible. And keep practicing your processing. The secret to good planetary processing is knowing or better yet correctly guessing which percentage of frames to use and then exactly how much of the wavelets in Registax6 you should use. Mostly it's TLAR!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

JayTee wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:59 am I run PIPP on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, it works just fine.
Inspeqtor wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:43 am What do I do now to improve my image?
Keep taking videos always working on getting your focus as exact as possible. And keep practicing your processing. The secret to good planetary processing is knowing or better yet correctly guessing which percentage of frames to use and then exactly how much of the wavelets in Registax6 you should use. Mostly it's TLAR!
I did not see a link to download PIPP for Windows. Please show me the link to download PIPP for Windows!
I have no idea what TLAR means.....
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's the link
https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/downloads

TLAR = that looks about right.

Good luck

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Actually, it's not supported under Linux... Though me being a Linux user, it runs great under WINE. For Windows, life is easier, just follow the link from JayTee.

It's quite easy to use. If you need some help, post here and I'll (and others) will help you as best we can. Again, JayTee is right. Focus is imperative, and from there, stack and process to taste. There is no "right or wrong", just what you're happy with. Think of it as your own artwork :D

Let us know how it goes!

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Thank you Jay!!
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:15 pm Actually, it's not supported under Linux... Though me being a Linux user, it runs great under WINE. For Windows, life is easier, just follow the link from JayTee.

It's quite easy to use. If you need some help, post here and I'll (and others) will help you as best we can. Again, JayTee is right. Focus is imperative, and from there, stack and process to taste. There is no "right or wrong", just what you're happy with. Think of it as your own artwork :D

Let us know how it goes!

All the best buddy,
Thank you kitty! I know nothing about Linux. I am glad life is easier under Windows, I did download PIPP with JayTee's link, (Thank you JayTee!) I have now loaded my first video into PIPP, but it did not start doing anything. There are 2 screens, the first screen that came up that I loaded my first video with and the 2nd screen showing my loaded video file.

What do I do now??
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Inspeqtor wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:15 am
Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:15 pm Actually, it's not supported under Linux... Though me being a Linux user, it runs great under WINE. For Windows, life is easier, just follow the link from JayTee.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best buddy,
Thank you kitty! I know nothing about Linux. I am glad life is easier under Windows, I did download PIPP with JayTee's link, (Thank you JayTee!) I have now loaded my first video into PIPP, but it did not start doing anything. There are 2 screens, the first screen that came up that I loaded my first video with and the 2nd screen showing my loaded video file.

What do I do now??

I am hoping to get more help on how to use PIPP very soon.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Inspeqtor wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 am
I am hoping to get more help on how to use PIPP very soon.
Bear with me; I'll get back to you when I get in from work :D
Mark

Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Thank you Mark
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Inspeqtor wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 pm Thank you Mark
Well, don't thank me yet... :lol:

Obviously I wasn't thinking; I use a DSLR as well, but I take single RAW frames (about 120 or so) of either the Moon or Sun and stack those. I have never tried the video option. However, it can't be that hard.

This is a tutorial on the PIPP site, Lunar/Solar Surface Video Processing. However, I don't know if there's a difference between Surface and Full Disc processing.

And being the person I am, you have me curious now... :D I'll tell you what, send me a PM (Private Message) and I will send you my email address and you can send me your video file and I'll give it a whirl in PIPP. I've been using the program for many years now, so that might help.

Apologies for the lack of "total" help, but I will do what I can. That's what we're about here ;)

All the best,
Mark

Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:41 pm
Inspeqtor wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 pm Thank you Mark
Well, don't thank me yet... :lol:

Obviously I wasn't thinking; I use a DSLR as well, but I take single RAW frames (about 120 or so) of either the Moon or Sun and stack those. I have never tried the video option. However, it can't be that hard.

This is a tutorial on the PIPP site, Lunar/Solar Surface Video Processing. However, I don't know if there's a difference between Surface and Full Disc processing.

And being the person I am, you have me curious now... :D I'll tell you what, send me a PM (Private Message) and I will send you my email address and you can send me your video file and I'll give it a whirl in PIPP. I've been using the program for many years now, so that might help.

Apologies for the lack of "total" help, but I will do what I can. That's what we're about here ;)

All the best,
Since I am new to THIS forum, please tell me HOW to send a PM on THIS forum.
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

One other thing Mark, give me a link to some of your Sun and Moon photos you have posted here!!
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Mark,

I just sent you a PM with my email addy
Inspeqtor
Earth Ambassador

Post by Inspeqtor »

Mark,

Did you get the PM I tried to send to you???