Let's see your reports!
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Quality Time

Post by Ragilmer »

Tuesday, 9-20-2022 4:15-6:00 AM

Had a great pre-dawn session with my son this morning. This was my first time bringing out both the XT6 and the AD10, which I think made it more fun for my son since he could look through the XT6 while I found targets in the AD10 and vice-versa. The crescent moon was partway up when we went out—and we were in the front yard with lots of house and street lights blazing, so we stuck to pretty bright targets.

Jupiter: Seeing conditions were a little disappointing this morning. I seemed to have a hard time getting a clear focus on it, but you could still make out the bands and moons and it would pop into a clear view every now and then.

M42, Orion Nebula: This was really why we were out this morning. Andrew had been really excited to see it and I’d been trying to wait for a moonless morning, but I wanted to take advantage of our long string of clear nights. First I found it with the XT6 and a 32mm plossl and got a “oh, cool” reaction. Then I moved over to the AD10 with a 15mm Luminos and got an “Oh wow!” As it was my first time viewing M42 with both the scope and the EP that was about my reaction too . It was perfectly framed in the EP and seemed to retain all the brightness of the 32mm, but the dust lanes were much more visible and looked like dark ribbons draped over a lantern. The trapezium was easily spotted too and noticed by Andrew as well. I’m really looking forward to spending some more time with Orion this fall and winter.

Mars: I only spent a minute or two on Mars since Andrew wasn’t all that thrilled by it, but I could make out some darker patches on the surface pretty easily, so I was happy with that especially considering Jupiter wasn’t super sharp.

M45, Pleiades: The one thing Andrew was disappointed with in the Orion Nebula was the lack of color in comparison to pictures he’d seen. Since he’d commented on the Pleiades a few times when we’d been out I thought that would at least give him some color to enjoy. I think that was technically his first open cluster too. The moonlight had washed out some of the nebulosity, but I could still detect a hint of hazy among all the blue stars.

Moon: I don’t think Andrew had seen a partial moon through the telescope before this morning, and it was a hit. I had let him practice aiming the XT6 at it while I fiddled with some camera stuff, but once we got it lined up he was like “Whoa! You can see mountains and craters!” We tried out a few different EPS and eventually barlowed the 9mm so he could “fly” over the moon some.

He went in shortly after that and I fiddled around with trying to do some afocal photography with my iPhone. I didn’t really have much success getting a good focus using an adapter, but I got some decent free hand images to play with. I also got a t-ring for my DSLR and had managed to attach it in the house (both to the camera and the telescope), but for some reason I couldn’t get it to attach to the scope outside. I clearly need to practice that move in the light of day a bit more, lol.

This was probably my last chance to get out for about the next week, so I’m glad I got us up and out this morning. Andrew is dead-set on seeing the Cat-Eye Nebula (he likes cats), so next time out will probably be an evening session (and hopefully before the moon comes back).
Moon.jpg
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Quality Time

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session and narrative Rob! Brings back fun memories observing with my daughter. I like how you guys utilized both scopes.

Mars will get more interesting during the opposition in December. One can spend whole session trying to resolve multiple features of it's terrain.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Really nicely written report of the early morning session with your son, Rob! Enjoyed reading that immensely. Definitely deserving of a VROD! :)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice and great quality report. Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.