How do I do this in Pixinsight?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

How do I do this in Pixinsight?

Post by Jockinireland »

I'm working on a 4 panel widfield mosaic of the Cass/Ceph border. I have the wizard at bottom right and the cave and lobster claw middle and top.

When I stretch the image the wizard is blowing out before the other parts have got bright enough. I'm thinking to use GAME script to put a mask over him but not sure if that will work.

Any suggestions?
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How do I do this in Pixinsight?

Post by AstroBee »

Try HDR Multiscale Transform. Takes a bit of tweaking.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Your problem sounds similar to the problem that is common in NB imaging. Here is a possible approach:
  • 1) Complete linear processing on each panel separately.
  • 2) Perform a moderate stretch on the brightest panel (the panel with the Wizard in your case).
  • 3) For each of the other panels I use the HistogramTransformation left and middle adjusters to approximately match the star brightness and background level to match the brightest panel.
  • 4) Remove stars from all four panels. I use StarXTerminator and check the Generate Star Image box.
  • 5) Use the RangeSelection process with the settings shown below to select the nebulae in each of the three dimmer panels. Only adjust the Lower limit slider. This will produce three RangeSelection masks, one for each of the dimmer panels.
RangeSelection.jpg
  • 6) For each of the dimmer panels apply the corresponding RangeSelection mask. Stretch each panel so that the nebula brightness is what you want (approximately equal to the nebula in the brightest panel?). Adjusting the left hand HistogramTransformation slider can help to blend the boosted nebula into the surrounding background.
  • 7) Reapply the stars to each of the panels.
  • 8) Assemble the panels together.
Continue processing the assembled image.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thanks @STEVE333 - yes that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I already combined the panels - there is quite a variance in SNR and gradients between the panels as they were taken over several nights, and what I read about Photometric Mosaic script said that in these circumstances its best to build the Mosaic before any adjustments. (photometric Mosaic works brilliantly by the way - I was previously using Gradient merge mosaic which was a bit hit and miss)

But your method above gives me good direction that I think I can see a way to to achieve what I want on my current mosaic - if it doesn't work I'll go back to uncombined panels.

Thanks again.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

You're welcome David - I've never tried the Photometric Mosaic script. If I ever get ambitious enough to try another mosaic I'll give it a try.

Good luck. I really like that region of the sky and am looking forward to your results.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures