Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Pointing to wrong place

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

The other night I did a polar align and a two star alignment it worked perfectly...went out last night it was pointing in right direction but targets was not in frame...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: Pointing to wrong place

Post by Richard »

I assume you were using your EQ mount and not 4se mount, I always use 3 stars instead of 2 , with me the 2 star is a quick process but can be hit or miss , the 3 star for me was always a bit better (not always)
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:03 pm I assume you were using your EQ mount and not 4se mount, I always use 3 stars instead of 2 , with me the 2 star is a quick process but can be hit or miss , the 3 star for me was always a bit better (not always)

Could you tell me the three best stars to align on please

Thank you

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I live (most of the time) in Southern hemisphere so some of the stars I use are not visible in North and I use different ones at different times , when in Czech I only use a manual mount , but I am sure someone will help you , or just use your phone to find 3 bright stars that need to be quite far apart
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

With the rotation of the earth the stars you use will change, depending on the time of year. So what I used to do is locate 3 of the brightest stars in the sky for that night, try to find stars that are part of a constellation so it will make it easier to visually find them. The first 2 should be fairly far apart (one to the east and one to the west) the third can be closer to the second choice.

If you move your mount you will need to do an alignment every time.

Hope this helps!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

If you can get a copy of the "Bright Star Atlas 2000.0", they list 4 or 5 bright alignment stars for each map.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Back to your original question, when you turned your scope off after the first night did you think to "Hibernate" the mount? If not you most likely dumped your goto alignment information.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

JayTee wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:05 pm Back to your original question, when you turned your scope off after the first night did you think to "Hibernate" the mount? If not you most likely dumped your goto alignment information.
Hi there

That sounds a very clever idea can you explain to me how to do it please thank you so much

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

On your HC, select the utilities menu and from the utilities menu select Park scope. Follow the directions and this will put you at the home position that's the same as hibernate with SynScan. Then just turn off the power and it will remember your alignment.

With the Home position you can either select the default position or create your own custom Home position.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Gordon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 pm With the rotation of the earth the stars you use will change, depending on the time of year. So what I used to do is locate 3 of the brightest stars in the sky for that night, try to find stars that are part of a constellation so it will make it easier to visually find them. The first 2 should be fairly far apart (one to the east and one to the west) the third can be closer to the second choice.

Hope this helps!!!

hi Gordon

i went out again a couple of nights ago and my scope is still not pointing to where i want it to is there anything else i need to do is it daylight saving etc

thanks

Rhoda

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:22 pm
Gordon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 pm With the rotation of the earth the stars you use will change, depending on the time of year. So what I used to do is locate 3 of the brightest stars in the sky for that night, try to find stars that are part of a constellation so it will make it easier to visually find them. The first 2 should be fairly far apart (one to the east and one to the west) the third can be closer to the second choice.

Hope this helps!!!

hi Gordon

i went out again a couple of nights ago and my scope is still not pointing to where i want it to is there anything else i need to do is it daylight saving etc

thanks

Rhoda
Run me though how you are setting up the mount. We need to be sure it is pointing towards the north (aimed as the star Polaris). Then walk me through the settings you currently have on the hand control.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

I'm quite good at getting the north star in the right place..i just think its my latitude and longitude that's wrong... i have asked a question under Skywatcher mounts if you will have a look.

thanks Gordon