Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls'

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Re: Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls'

Post by Shorty Barlow »

John Baars wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:19 pm I suppose handling is easier this way with the smooth barrels in the brass compression ring of the Baader helical focusser. I recognize the difficulties with undercuts.
Since you have a nice set of Takahashi's too, can you do a quality review of the images they both generate? I am curious.

Not having an undercut makes life easier with any compression ring, especially if you have manual dexterity problems. I have a set of the Tak' ortho's and some of the LE's. I'll see what I can do, although I'll need the weather on my side. The main differences between the Tak' and Ohi ortho's is a matter of coatings and ergonomics. I'm pretty convinced the Tak' coatings give them a contrast advantage over the Ohi, although they do lose some transmission by comparison. Also, Tak' ortho's have a couple of degrees extra AFOV (bigger field stop) than the Ohi. They are an Abbe design though AFAIK and it tends to make the individual eyepieces feel a bit more comfortable than their Ohi equivalents.

The 32mm Tak' ortho' is a bit sui generis.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

So you mentioned four differences.
- Ergonomics in favor of the Tak's
- Contrast in favor of Tak
- Transmission in favor of the Starbase Ortho's
- Field of view in favor of Tak.

Can you tell us something about the behaviour in a relatively fast system, like f/4 to f/6? That all perform well in a slow system is beyond doubt. So don/t use your Mak or SCT for it.
For instance:
startest.jpg
startest.jpg (11.02 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
In Z- shape:
Astigmatism, Coma, Perfect, Color, Correction for Field curvature ( the lack of it) Very often color comes in combination with one of the others. Not to be confused by the perfect round chromatic aberration of a short refractor.

Always on the very end of the field. At high magnification. A good way to judge is to see if the eyepiece is capable of holding the Airy disk as a defined round spot. Only the very best can do this, it is a good way to tell the difference between higher and lower quality. And if not, how is it deteriorated?

At medium to lower power it makes the difference between a complete field filled with needle-points, or just the center.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

John Baars wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:56 am So you mentioned four differences.
- Ergonomics in favor of the Tak's
- Contrast in favor of Tak
- Transmission in favor of the Starbase Ortho's
- Field of view in favor of Tak.

Can you tell us something about the behaviour in a relatively fast system, like f/4 to f/6? That all perform well in a slow system is beyond doubt. So don/t use your Mak or SCT for it.
For instance:
startest.jpg

In Z- shape:
Astigmatism, Coma, Perfect, Color, Correction for Field curvature ( the lack of it) Very often color comes in combination with one of the others. Not to be confused by the perfect round chromatic aberration of a short refractor.

Always on the very end of the field. At high magnification. A good way to judge is to see if the eyepiece is capable of holding the Airy disk as a defined round spot. Only the very best can do this, it is a good way to tell the difference between higher and lower quality. And if not, how is it deteriorated?

At medium to lower power it makes the difference between a complete field filled with needle-points, or just the center.
The fastest scope I have is an f/4.9 achromat and I rarely use orthoscopics in it. In ED doublets around f/6-7 the Tak's show no aberrations up to 42 degrees as far as I can tell. Although you'd expect that with an Abbe. However, they can exhibit edge astigmatism in the last 2 degrees of their 44 degree field. By 'Ohi' I was referring to the other Japanese Abbe OEM. These include Astro Hutech and Kokusai among other rebadging (Ohi made Abbe orthoscopics are often sold under other names). The Starbase are made by Kubota and are not true Abbe orthoscopics.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Combination of Ohi and Takahashi Abbe orthoscopics.

AFAIK the Circle-T's were made with Ohi glass.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:10 am (...)The fastest scope I have is an f/4.9 achromat and I rarely use orthoscopics in it. (...)
Okay.
But...., If we want a good impression of their real and ultimate behaviour, you have to test them in your f/4.9!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

John Baars wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:54 am
Shorty Barlow wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:10 am (...)The fastest scope I have is an f/4.9 achromat and I rarely use orthoscopics in it. (...)
Okay.
But...., If we want a good impression of their real and ultimate behaviour, you have to test them in your f/4.9!
The downside to that is that it is a relatively inexpensive ST102.

It has a nice focuser however.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 pm
John Baars wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:54 am
Okay.
The downside to that is that it is a relatively inexpensive ST102.
(...)
We won' t tell anyone.... :D
The focusser however, is perfect for focusing an f/4.9!
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Sorry to intrude. I have a ST120, the Starbase EPs, KKs and BCOs, and TV Plossls..... I am innocent of Tak Orthos though.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I think there is an odd and puzzling mystique about Tak' ortho's bordering on mythology. In my experience they are just a well made Abbe with a couple of extra degrees of field. And they have a rigid rubber eyeguard. I have no idea why Takahashi have discontinued them. Admittedly the 32mm is one of a kind. They are expensive as they are made in Japan and have a high build quality. They do have good contrast in comparison to Ohi-made ortho's and the BCO's. Although, for me, the Ohi and BCO have slightly better transmission. Swings and roundabouts. I think the BCO's are made in Singapore. At the end of the day; they're all good. The Kubota Starbase are OK as well. If you don't mind the non-blackened lens edges and the single coating.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 pm Sorry to intrude. I have a ST120, the Starbase EPs, KKs and BCOs, and TV Plossls..... I am innocent of Tak Orthos though.
I think the consensus is that Tak Orthos are rebrand of KKs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 pm Sorry to intrude. I have a ST120, the Starbase EPs, KKs and BCOs, and TV Plossls..... I am innocent of Tak Orthos though.
I can't argue with that. :) Others might. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 pm
They might be, but it's unlikely.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/japane ... ieces.html
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Either way, s'all good lol.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:35 am
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:32 pm I can see a scenario where single coating can outperform budget multicoating in transmission. However, if we are talking about top performers, premium multicoating in my experience with faint galaxies always outperforms single coating. Of cause, it is apples to oranges since none of premium EPs are offered with single coating. There should be a good reason for that. :)
You do not consider Brandon eyepieces as premium?
I just never considered them, should I? :)
Brandon are very nice eyepieces and only use a single layer coating on the eye lens. When the glass is high quality and excellent polish the coatings can be kept minimal.
A recent example is nFA conmparing Antares and Orion psuedo-Masuyama, I have always claimed the 15mm Antares as a excellent planetary eyepiece and nFA has agreed after side by side testing. The Orion is FMC but the Antares is only MC. (They were made in the same factory along with the Celestron version)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:55 am
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:35 am

You do not consider Brandon eyepieces as premium?
I just never considered them, should I? :)
Brandon are very nice eyepieces and only use a single layer coating on the eye lens. When the glass is high quality and excellent polish the coatings can be kept minimal.
A recent example is nFA conmparing Antares and Orion psuedo-Masuyama, I have always claimed the 15mm Antares as a excellent planetary eyepiece and nFA has agreed after side by side testing. The Orion is FMC but the Antares is only MC. (They were made in the same factory along with the Celestron version)
Yes. Just so. The "whole system" of the Antares beats out the "whole system" of the Orion in contrast rendering. Deciding to prefer one eyepiece over another on the basis of FMC versus mere FC misses the point that it's the whole package that needs to perform.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Well, the plans I had for an early morning session on M42 with the three newly-barrelled Kubota Starbase EP's got scuppered by my own body.