Cincinnati Observatory...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Cincinnati Observatory...

Post by ewomack »

Last week I toured the Cincinnati, Ohio area and thankfully, though not everything worked out in the end, I decided to stop at the Cincinnati Observatory. I'm likely not the first person on this forum to visit this particular site, so please let me know about your own experiences.

IMG_2026.JPG

The site includes two separate buildings. The one pictured above, dated 1873, contains a 16-inch refractor built in 1904. The other building contains, according to the staff, the oldest working telescope in the western hemisphere, installed in 1843 (though likely built a year or two before). A local astronomy club still uses it and I attended an open house and had the privilege of manipulating the large scope myself within its dome. To get the entire scope into a picture, I had to literally lie down on the floor.

IMG_1981.JPG

It's a beautiful wooden telescope that now doesn't have the power of many much smaller modern telescopes, but historically and visually it still stuns. One of the guides told me that it does resolve Saturn's rings, with some of the inner rings definable, including their inner planetary separation. It also shows a certain degree of color differences on the planet itself. I had never manipulated a telescope that large before, nor before ever rotated an observatory dome, accomplished with a hand crank on the wall.

The 1873 building also contained a museum of astronomy, including a replica of Galileo's telescope, an astrolabe, quadrant, and a history of the observatory itself. John Quincy Adams, apparently in one of his final public appearances, laid the cornerstone for the building's predecessor on another Cincinnati hilltop, but the stone was later moved to the 1873 building, where it still sits. When I attended the open house, the organization had a room full of books that they gave away. "All books are free!' a man in a Cincinnati Observatory shirt said more than once. I left with maybe 5 books, the most I could carry at the time. The grounds included maybe a few dozen people with their gear and scopes of all kinds. I also spoke with a high school teacher in the area who had set up a muon detector. Everyone was extremely friendly and, if I lived in the area, I would definitely sign up and volunteer with this organization.

So why didn't it work out? You can probably guess. I took a daytime tour and usually they do a solar viewing with the 1904 telescope, but it was raining. The tour guide told me to come back for the open house, which I did, but very heavy clouds blotted out everything except low-flying planes. So, though I went twice, I never actually saw anything through either scope, sadly. The weather reigns over this hobby.

Still, I'm extremely glad that I went and I hope to return sometime for another try. If you're ever in the Cincinnati area, definitely check this site out. For me, it will remain one of the highlights of the trip.
Last edited by ewomack on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Cincinnati Observatory...

Post by Makuser »

Hi Ed. Wow, it looks like you had an astronomically good time at the Cincinnati observatory despite no viewing due to the weather. These are great photographs featuring our history and heritage in astronomy and you got some free books too. Thanks for sharing this fun experience with us on here Ed and there several older classic observatories that I would like visit too.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thanks for sharing your great experience! Being able to manipulate a scope of that size and vintage certainly must have been a thrill!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow Ed, that is very cool; good for you! A cornerstone from the time of John Adams, incredible. Certainly an historical site, and your description of it all was great and the pictures too. I could imagine you had to literally lie flat to get that shot of the scope, nicely done and well worth the effort!

Enjoy the books and thanks for the tour :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

A rather nice building and excellent scopes Ed. I am glad that you were able to visit and move the dome (and lie down with the scope) maybe next time the weather will be in agreement.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N