15mm Altair Astro ULTRAFLAT

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted
Articles: 0

15mm Altair Astro ULTRAFLAT

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I originally acquired the 15mm Altair ULTRAFLAT in April 2019 for my 80ED DS Pro Evostar. It was a month later that I managed to get first light with the 15mm Altair EP. Fast forward a few years and it really hasn’t been used much since then. There are various reasons for this situation. I initially bought the ULTRAFLAT eyepiece to solve a weight problem. Not my weight obviously, as I’m a bit skinny. A 15mm focal length EP gives a 2mm exit pupil for 40x on the 80ED, which is a great mid-range magnification for the scope, particularly for many open clusters.

At the time I carried the 80ED out in its supplied ‘Jason Statham’ hard case instead of a soft (and therefore lighter) bag. The case had provision for accessories, including eyepieces. Progressively over time the case seemed to get unnaturally heavy. I was taking a 15mm Celestron Luminos out in the case among other eyepieces and assorted accessories. I’m one of the few people who actually like the Luminos range. The eye relief and eye placement suit me and the overall ergonomics are very good. The 82° FOV and large field stop are outright luxurious. I even like the twist-up eyeguard and excessively shiny housings (well sort of).

I can live with some of its peccadilloes like the slight edge of field brightening and occasional glaring. However, I just can’t live with its weight. The Luminos is 140g heavier than the 15mm Altair which is just over 200g. I have a much smaller 15mm GSO SuperView, and although I like it a lot, it just wasn’t the same. I even have a 16mm T5 Nagler which is very lightweight and the dreaded ‘ring of fire’ wouldn’t be a problem for rich field. I’m not a fan of long eye relief and can tolerate quite short lengths for lunar and planetary viewing. I’ve always considered the T5’s 10mm relief was ample for concentrating on high magnification targets but I wasn’t keen on it for low power sweeping. The Luminos was also unwieldy in the 80ED’s stock focuser which doesn’t rotate.

The ULTRAFLAT series are actually manufactured by Kunming United Optics. APM owned the exclusive rights for two years. They are now sold under a variety of brand names and housing liveries. Although the range has ‘only’ a 65° AFOV they were reputed to have a very flat, sharp field.

It’s very similar in size and weight to a 19mm Tele Vue Panoptic and even resembles it in many respects. It had 5° of field over my 15mm TS Optics Planetary EP and was smaller and more compact. The barrel had no undercut but was equipped with Baader-style safety kerfs. Which is almost as good as a smooth barrel. The 15mm ULTRAFLAT has eight lens elements in five groups. The field stop of is 19.6mm.

I was quite impressed with the Altair when I first used it with the 80ED. It was easily rotated in the diagonal. The field was incredibly flat with a dark background and the colour separation and acuity were superb. As far as I could tell it was like this right up to the field stop with no discernible chromatic or spherical aberrations. I could detect no eye placement issues and the purported 16mm eye relief felt comfortable for rich field sweeping.

However, initially the rubber eyeguard seriously started to bug me. There’s nothing actually wrong with the guard and it can be rolled down out of the way. For most people it wouldn’t really be a problem. I’m partially paralysed in my right hand and arm. So fiddling about with stubborn rubber eyecups can regularly involve getting greasy fingerprints on the eye lens. Although eventually I actually preferred to use it rolled up. I suspect that this was due to the relatively comfortable 16mm eye relief. Although it is still a couple of millimetres longer than my ideal. Either way, this very capable little eyepiece definitely needs to get out more.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 15mm Altair Astro ULTRAFLAT

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice review SB. I was wondering why suddenly everyone rebranding APM UFFs.

I also have a soft spot for Luminos line. They were my first 82 deg EPs and performed quite nicely in small fracs. Only when I acquired 8" SCT I discovered that they have soft focus and a bit more light scatter then I like at high powers.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:54 pm Nice review SB. I was wondering why suddenly everyone rebranding APM UFFs.

I also have a soft spot for Luminos line. They were my first 82 deg EPs and performed quite nicely in small fracs. Only when I acquired 8" SCT I discovered that they have soft focus and a bit more light scatter then I like at high powers.
Thanks. Yeah, the Altair UF's have been around for a while but I'm pretty sure Celestron do a version now. The Luminos were my first 82 degree EP's as well. The 10mm was my first. They seem to do well in short and medium length refractors, although I agree with you about SCT's and Mak's. They don't do particularly well in fast Newtonians, where they tend to glare a bit IME.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Thanks for the review. I was thinking of trying an Altair for my fracs, but wasn't sure I wanted to gamble on one. I'll have to take another look now.

I'd try one of their Long Eye Relief EPs, but I think the 7mm is 5 inches long, which strikes me as unwieldy.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

1) the Luminos can be significantly lightened by decloaking:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6292 ... -eyepiece/

2) The APM ultra flat field eyepiece is now available under these labels:
Sky Rover
Meade UHD
Celestron Ultima Edge
Altair Astro
APM UFF
Tecnosky
Svbony
Orion (US)
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

Don Pensack wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:48 pm 1) the Luminos can be significantly lightened by decloaking:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6292 ... -eyepiece/

2) The APM ultra flat field eyepiece is now available under these labels:
Sky Rover
Meade UHD
Celestron Ultima Edge
Altair Astro
APM UFF
Tecnosky
Svbony
Orion (US)

~
Don, do you know if Astronomics' PF series is the same?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the optical formulas do not match, even though they have similar AFOVs.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:15 am Thanks for the review. I was thinking of trying an Altair for my fracs, but wasn't sure I wanted to gamble on one. I'll have to take another look now.

I'd try one of their Long Eye Relief EPs, but I think the 7mm is 5 inches long, which strikes me as unwieldy.
From my experience APM UFF are much better EPs than Long Pern LE EPs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255