24mm Explore Scientific 68° Series

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted
Articles: 0

24mm Explore Scientific 68° Series

Post by Shorty Barlow »

A couple of years ago I bought the 1.25”, 68° Explore Scientific 24mm eyepiece. This was intended specifically as a rich field eyepiece for my 72ED DS Pro Evostar. It gives a 17.5x magnification for a near 4 arc degrees of field and about a 4mm exit pupil. Which is enough exit pupil to use a narrowband UHC or narrowband line filter for a variety of deep sky objects with a small refractor. Ideally I can get between a 3 ~ 7mm exit pupil on the 72mm doublet depending on conditions. A 4mm exit pupil with a large field can give a satisfying wide view yet still reveal a fair amount of detail. The argon purging, utilised on a great many ES eyepieces, initially attracted me as I’d noticed that my other ES eyepieces handled dewing well. This is only really useful later in the year, but can make a considerable difference to the duration of dew soaked autumnal sessions.

Interestingly, I have owned a 24mm Tele Vue Panoptic for many years, but finally curiosity got the better of me and I decided to buy the similar (and cheaper) 24mm ES equivalent. The first thing that I noticed was the near one hundred gram weight difference between the two eyepieces.

The ES being by far the heavier at 329g. There are supposedly six lenses in four groups although I don’t know how or if they differ from the Panoptic design. I’m not normally a fan of long eye relief and my 19mm Panoptic at 13mm feels just about perfect. The 24mm ES has a purported 18mm. Although, to me, it doesn’t really feel hugely different to the 24mm Panoptic’s 15mm eye relief. I believe Explore Scientific often overstate the actual relief measurements. I find the 24mm ES quite accommodating and comfortable.

Both 24mm eyepieces have large field stops for a 1.25” barrel. With the ES fractionally wider at 27.2mm. The other difference that I noticed was the ES has a near 5mm wider eye lens. I make the lens 23mm and for some reason the entire viewing field seems greater and more commodious than the Panoptic. Eye positioning is also quite comfortable with the Explore Scientific eyepiece. There are no blackouts, kidney beaning, or anything that impedes viewing ease.

Using a narrowband OIII filter I can usually see the Veil and North America Nebulae more easily than without a filter. In fact, almost anything that emits the 496nm and 501nm ionised oxygen lines is clearly seen in the ES 24mm with a narrowband filter at 17.5x. Most filters thread easily into the barrel. My Astronomik and Celestron OIII filters are fine and go in smoothly, as does an Explore Scientific broadband OIII (as you’d expect). Although an Orion UltraBlock and my old Lumicon OIII won’t thread completely into it. No surprises there then.

The True Field Of View when combined with the 72ED, which I calculate at 3 arc degrees, 53 arc minutes (almost 8 Full Moons!), is ample for rich field viewing. Oddly, the bigger eye lens seems to intensify or expand the actual field making the overall feel of the eyepiece seem larger than I expected. Well, it does for me anyway. Unless the fact that the entire housing is larger than the Panoptic equivalent contributes to this effect in some way. As a consequence the 24mm ES gets out a fair bit more than the 24mm Tele Vue, at least with the 72ED. Admittedly the overall background is a little darker viewing through the Panoptic. The ES has excellent transmission though and is just as sharp virtually across the entire field, and with the same quality colour separation as far as I can tell. The smaller 19mm Panoptic is probably my favourite eyepiece of all time as its ergonomics and performance seem perfect to me. However, I never felt the same about its larger sibling and I really prefer the ergonomics of the 24mm Explore Scientific over the 24mm Panoptic. It just feels good to use.
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 24mm Explore Scientific 68° Series

Post by davesellars »

I made the mistake of selling my 24mm ES 68. It was a great eyepiece, but I decided to upgrade to the 24mm TV Panoptic when I got my 12" dob. The differences are very slight. At just below < f/5, the Panoptic was certainly a touch better corrected at the edge of FOV. I wouldn't say that the difference in price was warranted though and the ES was excellent.

A major issue I found with the TV Panoptic later was that it didn't fit any of my Astronomik filters nor the ES HBeta (for some reason fitted the Baader OIII though!) although this sounds like an individual fault of the eyepiece perhaps... I sold the 24 Panoptic eventually as I generally used the 17.3mm Delos for everything and without being able to use the filters on it rendered it less useful. I'm looking for a replacement mainly for observing nebulae with filters however I'm more tempted by the 26mm ES62 for that touch extra exit pupil while using OIII filters particularly.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

davesellars wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:51 am I made the mistake of selling my 24mm ES 68. It was a great eyepiece, but I decided to upgrade to the 24mm TV Panoptic when I got my 12" dob. The differences are very slight. At just below < f/5, the Panoptic was certainly a touch better corrected at the edge of FOV. I wouldn't say that the difference in price was warranted though and the ES was excellent.

A major issue I found with the TV Panoptic later was that it didn't fit any of my Astronomik filters nor the ES HBeta (for some reason fitted the Baader OIII though!) although this sounds like an individual fault of the eyepiece perhaps... I sold the 24 Panoptic eventually as I generally used the 17.3mm Delos for everything and without being able to use the filters on it rendered it less useful. I'm looking for a replacement mainly for observing nebulae with filters however I'm more tempted by the 26mm ES62 for that touch extra exit pupil while using OIII filters particularly.
TV filter threads are a bit weird. I have a pair of 19mm Panoptics (originally for my bino) certain filters fit both, yet some only fit one or the other. Which doesn't even make sense lol.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I think my 24mm 68° EP has been my best investment in this hobby.
Mine is an Orion brand, I believe it was made by Baader, just the perfect EP IMHO :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Ylem wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:13 pm I think my 24mm 68° EP has been my best investment in this hobby.
Mine is an Orion brand, I believe it was made by Baader, just the perfect EP IMHO :)
Does it look like this?

I think these were known as 'Stratus'. It does look a bit Baader.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:51 am I made the mistake of selling my 24mm ES 68. It was a great eyepiece, but I decided to upgrade to the 24mm TV Panoptic when I got my 12" dob. The differences are very slight. At just below < f/5, the Panoptic was certainly a touch better corrected at the edge of FOV. I wouldn't say that the difference in price was warranted though and the ES was excellent.

I bought 24mm Panoptic at one point to compare with ES68 24mm. The immediate issue with Panoptic was shorter eye relief. The actual ER felt shorter than stated. So, I sold Panoptic and kept ES68. ES62 26mm is somewhat redundant if you already got ES82 24mm. I thought I could make ES62 work with BVs, but they were too wide. Still I liked the EP and decided to keep one. It seems better fit for TV Delite line. It is a bummer that there is no Delite 24mm or 26mm.

Anyway, both ES68 24mm and ES62 26mm are nice EPs. Can't go wrong with either. BTW, both ES68 24mm and Panoptic 24mm claim 68 degree FOV. The real FOV for both based on the field stop is ~65 deg.
ES62-28.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:44 pm Admittedly the overall background is a little darker viewing through the Panoptic. The ES has excellent transmission though and is just as sharp virtually across the entire field, and with the same quality colour separation as far as I can tell.
You nailed it! I read somewhere that TV formulated their modern coatings to filter the air glow, but it results in somewhat less light transmission. Most armature observers like the outcome, because of better perceived contrast and darker background. However, on very faint DSOs modern TV EPs underperform compared to the high transmission EPs from other brands, and even on bright targets like Orion Nebula modern TV EPs show less fainter details.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:56 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:44 pm Admittedly the overall background is a little darker viewing through the Panoptic. The ES has excellent transmission though and is just as sharp virtually across the entire field, and with the same quality colour separation as far as I can tell.
You nailed it! I read somewhere that TV formulated their modern coatings to filter the air glow, but it results in somewhat less light transmission. Most armature observers like the outcome, because of better perceived contrast and darker background. However, on very faint DSOs modern TV EPs underperform compared to the high transmission EPs from other brands, and even on bright targets like Orion Nebula modern TV EPs show less fainter details.
I've suspected this about a lot of TV coatings for some time.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:59 pm
On the other hand, old TV high transmission coatings are superb for DSOs. I have done side by side comparison and sold my modern TV Plossl set in favor of old circle NJ smoothies. I like smothie design better anyway.

Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:59 pm

On the other hand, old TV high transmission coatings are superb for DSOs. I have done side by side comparison and sold my modern TV Plossl set in favor of old circle NJ smoothies. I like smothie design better anyway.
Yeah, smoothies rock! lol

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:31 pm
Ylem wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:13 pm I think my 24mm 68° EP has been my best investment in this hobby.
Does it look like this?

Yep! That's it :)

I have had it for about 15 years, unfortunately I am missing the rubber eye cup.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:44 pm Anyway, both ES68 24mm and ES62 26mm are nice EPs. Can't go wrong with either. BTW, both ES68 24mm and Panoptic 24mm claim 68 degree FOV. The real FOV for both based on the field stop is ~65 deg.
I've just purchased on AstroSellBuy UK a Vixen SLV 25mm for £60. This should sort out the lack of a decent EP at this focal length! I don't mind too much the 50 degree FOV as it's the light transmission that's the most important which these are well known for or so I've heard. I've not tried an SLV before.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:59 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:44 pm Anyway, both ES68 24mm and ES62 26mm are nice EPs. Can't go wrong with either. BTW, both ES68 24mm and Panoptic 24mm claim 68 degree FOV. The real FOV for both based on the field stop is ~65 deg.
I've just purchased on AstroSellBuy UK a Vixen SLV 25mm for £60. This should sort out the lack of a decent EP at this focal length! I don't mind too much the 50 degree FOV as it's the light transmission that's the most important which these are well known for or so I've heard. I've not tried an SLV before.
You will love it! SLVs perform at the same level as good quality Orthos but with 20mm eye relief and 50 deg FOV. They also parfocal and work great in BVs. Good price to!

Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Ylem wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:37 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:31 pm
Does it look like this?

Yep! That's it :)

I have had it for about 15 years, unfortunately I am missing the rubber eye cup.
I think you can get the eyecups.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Planeta ... C83&sr=1-6