Knobs!

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Knobs!

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Above: ADM Slow Motion Control Knob Set. They have a 3/32 Allen key holding them onto the spigot. These are manufactured in the US so I figured they wouldn't be metric lol. Luckily I also have non-metric tools.

I originally bought these for my EQ5 as the bundled Synta slo mo knobs (below) just aren't cutting the mustard.

The stock Synta knobs, apart from being a bit rubbish, are plastic or resin and have a push fit. In my experience they perpetually fall off their respective spigots. The ADM knobs are aluminium and are fixed to the spigot with a hex/Allen screw/key.

Then I had a brainwave! Vixen slo mo knobs are as bad the Synta ones. So I tried some ADM's on a Porta II. The flexible Vixen cables also fall off a lot in my experience. So now I'm a really happy bunny as I can put the ADM knobs on the Vixen mount. This also makes setting up easier as I don't have to spend time trying to convince the slo mo cables to stay on.

These ADM knobs might not seem like priority items but they've seriously improved my observing experience.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Knobs!

Post by Bigzmey »

ADM accessories are pricy but of good quality. I have replaced saddles on all mounts I currently use with ADMs. ADM is also happy to work with you to find/make adaptors to fit your equipment.

viewtopic.php?t=21064&hilit=adm

viewtopic.php?t=2550&hilit=adm
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice, I have some old plastic knobs on my Vixen Porta that I have been meaning to replace for years.

I think they are from an old Orion Astromount, they do have flex cables at least.

ADM makes makes some nice stuff, I do have their L bracket and dovetail receiver on my Porta.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

Ylem wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:51 am Very nice, I have some old plastic knobs on my Vixen Porta that I have been meaning to replace for years.

I think they are from an old Orion Astromount, they do have flex cables at least.

ADM makes makes some nice stuff, I do have their L bracket and dovetail receiver on my Porta.
Vixen normally bundled some plastic push-on knobs with the Porta II mounts. The ADM are in a different league altogether though.